Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#235890 - 11/19/11 04:45 PM Business EDC - air travel
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Re-packing my flying kit for commercial flights. Mine is all about comfort.

- paper copies of everything ( ticket, when possible reservations ( car, hotel) contact info, directions, map

- cell charger

- water bottle (empty through security)

- GPS. car adapter

-- warm cover. Fleece for leisure, sport coat for business

-- food/ snacks

-- tiny fak, includes toiletries

-- entertainment. Book, journal pens

--Laptop, thumb drive

#235891 - 11/19/11 05:02 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
TSA permitted / prohibited:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Note: fliers in America are also responsible for complying with state and local law at both ends of your trip, plus any international destinations.

#235894 - 11/19/11 05:39 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Flashlight, good shoes

#235900 - 11/19/11 09:28 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
to add to what TeacherRO and bigreddog have listed, and keeping with dweste's link... I'd feel a lot warmer and fuzzier with a pair of electrician's scissors like a WISS 175E in case of a seat belt problem, or need for a heavy duty sharp pointy cutty thing...

Edited by LesSnyder (11/19/11 09:29 PM)

#235903 - 11/20/11 12:14 AM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
In addition to things already mentioned above:
  • Ear plugs, maybe eye mask
  • Many of us rely on our mobile phones as a watch, but you may not be able to have it on or you're low on battery charge, so the only time I really wear a watch now is when flying. Having a watch with dual time is very handy for international travel.
  • One change of undergarments and shirt and socks. Maybe pants, depending on the situation. If you get separated from your luggage, you may be able to get by OK with one change if you can wash and dry the other set.
  • With smartphones, this is not as vital anymore, but in case you are stuck at some connecting airport due to bad weather, getting hotel/motel info for any interim cities you will be flying through.
  • Maybe most importantly, a flexible attitude. Many potentially aggravating situations don't seem so bad if you are able to "go with the flow" or can "put yourself in the other person's shoes". Doesn't make things magically turn out the way you want, but can keep the stress level down, thus leading to a more comfortable trip.

#235909 - 11/20/11 01:47 AM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
I always buy a good-sized bottle of water at the airside and bring a snack or two. I found a smallish neoprene pouch that can hold my in-flight stuff and still fit in the seat pocket. My iPod Touch and earbuds are life-savers. I'll often just put the earbuds in and enjoy a somewhat quieter flight. I haven't flown with my new MintyBoost (USB AA charger) but one of those would be great on a long flight or delay. I've finally learned to always carry a fleece jacket. I can make it into a pillow and/or hook my hands into it to better cram myself into a window seat without touching my neighbor. I don't do it, but you can carry-on as many sub-3-ounce minibar liquor bottles as you can fit into your Ziploc bag.

#235935 - 11/20/11 01:28 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I hate flying. Someone asked me once if it's because I'm afraid of crashing and I explained that no, I just don't want to be stuck on the ground without what I need.

Depending where and when you're going, I'd add:

-flashlight
-personal meds
-cash
-packable rain jacket
-change of clothes, or at least socks and underwear

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235936 - 11/20/11 02:36 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Good lists so far. The thing I really hate about business travel these days is the no knife/multi-tool thing. Other than travel, I am never without a knife or multitool (or two) around.

My travel solution(s) are:

Swiss clipper AT - has clippers, scissors, nail file and a micro screwdriver.

Swiss+Tech screwz all - small set of 4 screwdrivers - standard and phillips

Gerber Artifact - remove the hobby blade and you have something for prying and opening bottles. Hobby blades are pretty easy to find and cheap to buy at most of my destinations.

I've tried some other things out but keep coming back to this combination.

I've also thought about the LM knifeless Fuse a couple of times but there are too many reports of TSA employees being inconsistent in their interpretations to make me want to risk something that nice.

-Eric

#235948 - 11/20/11 06:05 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
-- tiny fak, includes toiletries

Toiletries are easy to forget, because you tend to put them in the luggage rather than the carry on. But if you're stuck somewhere and separated from your luggage, then you need to have at least the basics: toothbrush, toothpaste. Most hotels provide the rest. I learned this lesson the hard way.

A cell phone charger that runs on batteries. Some airports have few outlets, and you have to be creative to get juice.

This above is more "equipped to be comfortable" rather than "equipped to survive." It seems that there just isn't that much you can do on the plane, given the TSA restrictions. What emergency situations can we effectively address? If a plane goes down, and somehow I miraculously survived, I'd want the tools we can't bring aboard. (Cut myself out of the seat belt, make fire & shelter, signal the SAR, fight the smoke monster on the island.) If a plane just malfunctions, again, I'd think I'd need more tools than what we're allowed. If some sort of medical emergency happens, then maybe we can do something -- with the right training (which I don't have). Our survivability in emergency situations decreases because of all the TSA restrictions. But I think we've had many threads complaining about this.

So of the stuff we can address, what can't wait until the end of the flight?

DB, thinking about a parachute (no, my last name isn't Cooper)

#235959 - 11/20/11 10:01 PM Re: Business EDC - air travel [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
check out the TSA website list under

sharp items.... scissors, metal with pointed tips and blades less than 4 inches

then a web search for electrician scissors... like Klein, or what I have actually cut a copper penny in half with the... Wiss 175E

Edited by LesSnyder (11/20/11 10:02 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 447 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.