Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#223671 - 05/15/11 11:47 PM Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am always notice how many people are surprised by rain...No jacket, poncho, hat, umbrella. ( and no garbage bag to cover your laptop bag, mister.)

#223680 - 05/16/11 01:01 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia
I cycle every day and have a rain kit (jacket, pants and pack cover) permanently in my bag. The car has a set of ponchos, rain pants, and a couple of sun hats and umbrellas too.

Umbrellas are good for sun too (get one with a 100% UV rating), if we’re on a walk through open country, they get used as parasols.

Coincidentally both hats are fabric and can be turned inside out: off white on one side and navy blue on the other, the other is Auscam vs black. My daughter forgot her hat on a trip a few months back, and she was pleased to have a choice of colours – she spent quite a bit of time deciding which would suit best ! I hadn’t planned on reversible hats, it just sort of happened, but with kids (and some adults too), if they don’t the colour, they will be resistant to wear it, so having all that choice was actually a good thing !

#223682 - 05/16/11 01:12 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Like many ETS'rs I suppose I overcompensate. I have umbrellas in each car, full rain suits in each, a spare rain jacket in my car and a GoLite Hiking Umbrella in a pouch on my workbag. The latter is really compact and lighweight. It will fit nicely into a jacket pocket or briefcase. I keep an Aloksak bag in my cell phone case to protect the phone. I also have SealLine protective cases for my e-reader, my Ham HT and one for my GPS.

Oh, and I keep a throwaway plastic poncho in my briefcase as well.

But usually I just run for the door from the car...

#223687 - 05/16/11 07:17 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Not normally. Rain is infrequent where I live and usually quite warm when it happens so a ball cap at most if the forecast calls for it. Though I have a set of frog toggs in my Wrangler, just in case since I'm top down most of the year.

I get more concerned with cold, than wet. It's easy to be lulled into weather ambivalence living in the Sonoran Desert. You figure if its sunny and hot here, it is everywhere and neglect to pack base layers and puffy coats for when you get off the plane and its 60 degrees colder. So I 'try' to always look at destination forecasts and then believe it will be worse.

#223689 - 05/16/11 08:45 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: comms]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
For years my minimum hiking pack, even for day hikes, has included a lightweight nylon hooded jacket, as light as I could find - currently I carry a Patagonia Houdini - 3 ounces. It has come in handy in both windy and rainy conditions. I keep several ponchos around - versatile as rainwear and as improvised shelters.

#223692 - 05/16/11 11:25 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Always. If I'm not wearing it, there's a rain jacket and pants in my pack, and an emerg poncho or two in a pocket. 2 golf umberellas are waiting in the car too. (I just picked up a new flourescent orange jacket on Friday.)

Edited by bacpacjac (05/16/11 11:26 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223693 - 05/16/11 11:33 AM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
golf umbrella and GoreTex in the car...poncho/mosquito netting in the GHB...FrogToggs in the scooter ...usually wear quick dry nylon shorts and polypro or Supplex nylon shirts with USAFSS unit ball cap...heavy duty ziploc for phone and wallet

#223694 - 05/16/11 12:02 PM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

During the summer months I will use a EuroSchirm Swing Liteflex Trekking UV Silver umbrella (useful to keep away the hot baking rays of the sun here in Scotland wink ) and a lightweight EDZ EPIC Sierra Jacket for the rain. A Trekmates® Expedition Goretex hat is also very useful.

#223695 - 05/16/11 12:10 PM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
JOEL Offline
Stranger

Hi. I always have an emergency poncho and a survival/emergency blanket in my EDC.

#223698 - 05/16/11 01:17 PM Re: Wet weather gear - Anyone EDC a jacket or umbrella [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My laptop bag has an emergency poncho and a small umbrella in it at all times. When the forecast calls for precipitation I'll add my rain shell and a larger umbrella. I keep a full rain suit in my BOB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.