The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#218423 - 03/05/11 02:40 AM TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What preparedness gear can you carry as EDC that will pass by the metal detectors and screeners legally, without subterfuge, for later "McGyvering" if necessary? I can think of a few categories and examples:

1. Innocuous metal stuff, like cell phones, IPODS & PADS, etcetera, whihc also usulally would allow ear buds and tgeir wire,m chargers, including solar chargers, keys and keyrings, a metal-cased pen or pencil or two, manual pencil sharpener, floss container with cutter, packs of gum in foil wrappers, a few paperclips, and small candy / coughdrop tin[s]. These will need to go into the manual search basket, of course, before you go through the metal detector.

What other stuff can you think of that fits this catefory?

2. Innocuous "plastic" stuff, like combs, straws, paper and binder clips, toothpicks, plastic-cased pens and pencils, small ruler, member/credit/debit cards, magnifying lens, whistle, spork, platypus or other water bag, paper and binder clips, small toothbrush, and a couple zip ties.

3. Wood and paper stuff, like wooden pencils, pair of chopsticks, notebook, paperback book, newspaper, and Post-its.

4. First aid stuff, like: bandaids, OTC meds, and self-cling wrap.

5. Other stuff, like a small piece of flint, a small smooth piece obsidian [Apache Tear], and bandanas.

#218430 - 03/05/11 04:24 AM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
The screwdrivers (etc) that are made to go on keyrings. No one has ever noticed mine.

Pull-apartable lanyard for your keyring.

Sue

#218444 - 03/05/11 02:50 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The only two items I see that are not listed are a flashlight (I EDC a 2AA MAG-LITE) and lip balm. While you did list a bandana, in my opinion I believe it is good to be specific about the bandana in an urban environment. A red paisley bandana around your skull, not neon or flaming red, can be used to blend in under some circumstances.

Jeanette Isabelle

#218452 - 03/05/11 06:47 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Around here blue or red bandanas are gang colors. Neutral earth tones work for me. If they are printed with first aid or survival instructions, even better.

#218460 - 03/05/11 08:38 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Warning Will Robinson, warning.

I passed thru a TSA checkpoint forgetting my bandana and some 3x5 cards I usually carry in my back left pocket. You woulda thunk I had a dirty bomb in my back pocket. I got buttockully groperated, then had to go see a guy with a sniffer to see if I had handled any explosives lately. They even checked my ball cap to see if there was anything in the band, and looked at my watch. They weren't real impressed when I said, guys, retired military, here's my ID.

Of course, the EDC stuff that I thought was a nono was in my check bag, and it made it thru fine.

#218465 - 03/05/11 09:38 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
how about: uninflated brightly coloured balloon, condom, single AAA flashlight, package of shoelaces, mini pack of kleenex, disposable rain poncho, maxi pad, tampon - although these last two may be best left for us girls. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#218466 - 03/05/11 09:46 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

let's not forget Les Stroud's harmonica!

#218467 - 03/05/11 10:03 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

i think it might be a guise to get me to accept his smoker status, but my husband has suggested that a pack of cigarettes are great emergency tinder.

#218482 - 03/06/11 05:09 AM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
In most "screened" situations (airports, schools, courtrooms, etc.) you're going to be indoors and in a crowd. Based on what I have been through, I carry the following:
1) Water bottle - 9 hours on a train without air conditioning.
2) Iodine tablets - Wish I had carried these on a delayed flight. Bathroom sink water was NOT potable.
3) Flashlight - Stuck in an elevator.
4) FAK - self explanatory. Includes safety pins.
5) OTC medications (asprin, pepto, etc)-self explanatory.
6) Spare perscription medications - lost luggage or items stolen or broken in transit. This was a problem prior to TSA coming into power. Still is, but now you know who to blame.

Other generally handy stuff for jury rigging things.
7) Duct tape - Used mainly for shoe and clothing repairs. Mini-rolls are sold by backpacking outfitters so you don't have to lug around the "Home Depot" sized rolls.
8) Nylon Cord - Same. Also, can be used to decorate backpacks, keychains, etc.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#218577 - 03/07/11 11:00 PM Re: TSA / mall / school environment survival stuff [Re: dweste]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Mini-rolls are sold by backpacking outfitters

You can get 'flat packs,' too. (http://www.redflarekits.com/7030 among others)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.