The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207631 - 09/10/10 02:29 AM San Bruno fire
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
You guys following the San Bruno fire? Are you ready for that to happen in your area (too close, there is no getting ready) - You ready to grab stuff an GO - NOW

Looking at this time like it was a 24 inch high pressue gas main - shudder. They are saying at least 30 houses are gone
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#207635 - 09/10/10 02:47 AM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I briefly saw some footage on CNN earlier. Being near San Francisco International, people must've thought a plane crashed into their neighborhood because of all the flames. Being close to the 280 freeway, there must've been a lot of rubbernecking going on.

Actually, I'm surprised that as far as I've noticed, no one on ETS mentioned the fires that swept through Detroit a couple days ago. Around 85 structures damaged or destroyed, and not enough resources to fight them all. That must be an awful feeling from what I read by some residents--actually living in a major city, calling the fire dept because a house is on fire...and no one shows up.

And then there are the wildfires near Boulder, Colorado. Again, many homes burned, including homes of some of the fire fighters battling the flames.

#207638 - 09/10/10 03:21 AM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Sounds horrific. Thoughts and prayers are with the residents and emergency responders.

“My house is gone. I’m trying to keep from just breaking down. Everything’s gone,” she said. “I was in my bedroom and heard a boom. My house is shaking. I thought it was an earthquake. I get the dog to go ride it out outside. We look out the living room window and it was orange. I had the forethought to put on my shoes and grab my purse and run out of my house. I could feel the fire from five house away. It was so intense.”

#207640 - 09/10/10 04:15 AM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

In the bay area, the local ABC/NBC/CBS/... affiliates have all interrupted regular programming to broadcast the fire live in high definition ... biggest media circus I've seen in 15 years
(by bay area standards, its mild mannered compared to other areas)

#207646 - 09/10/10 06:40 AM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KG2V
Are you ready for that to happen in your area (too close, there is no getting ready) - You ready to grab stuff an GO - NOW

To evac permantently from your home in under 30 seconds? No. Holy crap thats scary. No time for thought, just grab immediate essentials and go. Gotta remember to keep my shoes and a jacket next to the bed.

#207657 - 09/10/10 12:24 PM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: LED]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
years back I bought a lot to build on without thinking about what the underground natural gas line really meant. It did effect how I had to build though, so I sold it to someone not concerned about that constraint. Was that a natural gas line or a jet fuel feed for the airport?

#207662 - 09/10/10 01:10 PM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
my family of 2 adults, child, infant, can evac the house in the time it takes to put on or pick up the (seasonally dependent) clothes at the foot the bed (full set w/ footwear and jackets), scoop up the infant w/ stocked diaper bag, grab the family/house information folder outside our door, grab parents EDC bags and get out the door.

From realization to looking at the house from the sidewalk, about 4 minutes. About 90 seconds if we just grab clothes. 10 seconds of that is baby girl fussing about which dollie to take.

#207663 - 09/10/10 01:11 PM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I have a 24" natural gas line running past 55' from my back door. It greatly changed what I do in the backyard. eek

The comforting fact is that if it goes it'll probably be a painless death.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#207666 - 09/10/10 02:07 PM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: KG2V]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: KG2V
You guys following the San Bruno fire? Are you ready for that to happen in your area (too close, there is no getting ready) - You ready to grab stuff an GO - NOW

We have several evacuation plans, including one for zero notice. In that case we grab phone, wallet, car keys and BOB on the way out the door, if we can.

#207668 - 09/10/10 02:18 PM Re: San Bruno fire [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
From time to time, I'll listen to a San Francisco AM newsradio station at night all the way down here in Southern California and last night, it was convenient to be able to listen to local radio coverage of the fire.

I notice that the local San Francisco newspaper's website can be rather sluggish loading webpages this morning, most likely groaning under a heavy user load because of the fire. It reminds me of the continued need for broadcast media like TV or radio, which has no limit to the number of people who can receive the signal compared to the finite number of people who can access a website.

Actually, there was a series of programs on the History Channel about 9/11 last night also, and I distinctly remember being in a news vacuum that fateful morning. Even though I was in Manhattan on 9/11, our small office had no TV or radio, and all the news websites were overloaded that morning, so it was very difficult to get any news about what was happening down at the WTC. I and my small group of coworkers were pretty oblivious to what was happening for a while that morning. Even a small radio would've helped a lot that day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.