Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199500 - 04/02/10 01:23 PM EDC for D.C.
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I'm planning a summertime trip to D.C. to see the Air and Space museum, Smithsonian, maybe tour the White House. Is there a certain level of EDC I can get away with, apart from a bandana and bandaids? Planning on driving there, so I can take stuff in the car, but don't know what to expect once I get there. Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

#199502 - 04/02/10 01:37 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: barbakane]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I vacationed there for the same thing pre-9/11, so can't speak for current security restrictions, but have some general tips:

Plan on using the Metro to get around in the city. It's actually quite efficient (or was when I visited), and driving and parking in the city are both nightmares.

When crossing an intersection, watch out for drivers shooting the yellow and for ones jumping the green. I'm amazed I never saw a collision in the week I was there.

I was there in the Spring, too, and the weather can change completely from one day to the next. Take both sun and rain protection.

Expect lines. Carry water.

And have fun!

#199503 - 04/02/10 01:46 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Compugeek]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Take a compass. I would park at one of the subway stations then ride into downtown. I'm usually really good at directions but when getting turned around underground then coming up on to a street corner thats labeled A and second then looking at the map ans seeing they start at A in the center and go B, C, D, etc to either side and likewise first then second and third, etc each way I'd have to walk a block each direction to see if the street names were incrementing or decrementing to determine which direction I was actually going. I would know which A and second I came up on but would have to walk to thrid to tell if I was facing east or west for example.
Also everything is on .gov hours, i.e everything closes around 4:30-5. I planned on doing my work during the day and then visiting things in the evening but didn't get to see much except from the outside because of everyting being closed.
Don't be alarmed to see people sleeping on benches and such, it seems there is a large homeless population but they never bothered us, it was all the other tourists that were rude. And don't bother being polite, if you step back to let someone off the train before shoving your way on other people will just shove their way in front of you and you'll miss that train, you just have to shove your way in with them. And about half the people would jump the tunrstiles and ride for free.

#199515 - 04/02/10 05:16 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Eugene]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Get a good DC map which shows the metro lines. Don't rely on those "not to scale" tourist maps.

#199519 - 04/02/10 07:45 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: barbakane]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: barbakane
I'm planning a summertime trip to D.C. to see the Air and Space museum, Smithsonian, maybe tour the White House. Is there a certain level of EDC I can get away with, apart from a bandana and bandaids? Planning on driving there, so I can take stuff in the car, but don't know what to expect once I get there. Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

I've lived in the city for 20 years and the Mall is where Gidget does most of her walks and bikejoring. I feel entirely safe walking there alone with Gidget, day or night. It's well patrolled by the U.S. Park Police and lighting was greatly improved around the Lincoln Memorial after some incidents a few years ago.

The Smithsonian Museums do not have x-ray machines. They do hand inspections of your bag(s). Pretty cursory, in my experience. You hold it open usually and they peak in -- possibly with a flashlight. I've never had a knife or pepper spray or anything else confiscated at a Smithsonian and I always have those with me -- usually in a rucksack. I often duck into a Smithsonian -- usually the castle -- to use the restroom. Just don't carry a big knife and don't have it or pepper spray visible at the top of the bag. If you are going to bring a knife, bring a little one.

The Smithsonians are open until 7:30p during the summer.

Here's what I would recommend for summertime Smithsonian touring: carry a light rucksack. Have in it or carabinered on it: water, glasses, suntan lotion, hat, compact umbrella (unless the forecast rules out afternoon thunderstorms), light windbreaker, energy bar, Doug Ritter's e-PICO light, cotton bandanna. I'd also be packing a little Surefire light, but that's me: I'm a flashlight freak.

There is food on the Mall -- kiosks and carts which sell drinks, hot pretzels, hot dogs and ice cream. There's a McDonald's at Air & Space and nice cafeterias or cafes in the Indian Museum, American History Museum and National Art Gallery.

Do not carry all your cash or credit cards in one place.

Pickpockets target tourists. If you have more than one credit card, maybe leave one in the trunk of your car. Do not let your bag(s) out of your sight, ever.

Not assuming that you might but will go ahead and caution: Do not bring a gun into DC. Doesn't matter if it's legal where you live, it's not legal here. They will throw you into jail in a nanosecond and the gun will be confiscated and destroyed. The handgun law has loosened up a bit but is still very strict and I don't know that it gives any leeway to nonresidents. You certainly do not want to be caught with one around the Capitol, White House or the Mall.

Have you booked a hotel? Look for something close to the Mall. There are reasonable options. If you are going to stay in a suburb just know that the morning rush is from 7-10:00a (8-9:00 being the worst) and 3-7:00p (3:30-6:00 being the worst). Tuesdays-Thursdays are the worst traffic jams. Monday and Friday traffic is lighter, especially in summer. Driving and parking are easy on weekends -- unless there's a big protest, parade or marathon. Check The Washington Post for such events. If you are going to be concentrating on Smithsonian Museums,the memorials and the White House then it is advisable to stick with the Metro.

Also Google the "Tourmobile."

There are public parking garages within a couple blocks of the Mall. If you don't mind paying, that is an option. Union Station has a public parking garage and is a major stop on the subway's ("Metro") Red Line. You can also catch at Union Station some tourist transportation: Tourmobile, Old Town Trolley, DC Duckmobile or the British-style two-story bus tours by American Heritage. They have different packages. The narrated Tourmobile allows you to get on and off during the day and can take you to Arlington National Cemetary and Mt. Vernon if you buy those packages:

http://dc.about.com/od/walkingtours/a/5BestTours.htm

#199520 - 04/02/10 07:50 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

The White House: contact both of your U.S. Senators and your representative -- now -- and see if they can get you on a tour of The White House. This is pretty late notice for summer 2010 but they might be able to. This would save you standing in line for a public ticket.

Best not to take anything to the White House other than your wallet, phone and car keys. They do allow umbrellas. Pretty much everything else is forbidden.

Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, the following: handbags, book bags, backpacks, purses, food and beverages of any kind, strollers, cameras, video recorders or any type of recording device, tobacco products, personal grooming items (make-up, hair brush or comb, lip or hand lotions, etc.), any pointed objects (pens, knitting needles, etc.), aerosol containers, guns, ammunition, fireworks, electric stun guns, mace, martial arts weapons/devices, or knives of any size. The U.S. Secret Service reserves the right to prohibit any other personal items.

Umbrellas, wallets, cell phones and car keys are permitted.

Please note that no storage facilities are available on or around the complex. Individuals who arrive with prohibited items will not be permitted to enter the White House.

#199522 - 04/02/10 08:08 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

U.S. Capitol: I very highly recommend touring the Capitol via the new nearly billion-dollar Visitor Center. Google and reserve tickets for that. The Visitor Center is a museum in itself and has some very interesting artifacts, including a draft of the Constitution. Exhibits rotate.

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/

The Capitol is quite restrictive on what you can bring in, but not as severe as The White House:

http://www.visitthecapitol.gov/Visit/Visitor%20Safety%20and%20Policies/

Backpack Warning: Do not bring large daypacks, backpacks or luggage into the Capitol. Any bag larger than 14" wide x 13" high x 4" deep is prohibited. Other restrictions include cans and bottles, full or empty.

Newseum: Everyone raves about this recent addition to Washington. It's one block off the Mall. A ticket is required (the Newseum is not government or Smithsonian). This was my nieces' favorite place. Worth Googling. A neighbor of mine was down there last week and said there is a Kleenex dispenser at the 9/11 exhibit.

Spy Museum: Also requires a ticket.

Memorials: I think that especially in summer, the Lincoln, Jefferson, Washington, Vietnam, Korean and World War II memorials are best seen at sunset and after dark. Or very early in the morning -- sunrise. The Mall cools off appreciably because the grass does not retain the daytime heat like the asphalt and brick neighborhoods do. There is usually a breeze at night on the Mall.

Arlington National Cemetery: If you've not been, I very highly recommend. The cemetery is very welcoming of visitors (it's even dog-friendly), fascinating and sobering. There is a parking garage. It's about a mile walk from the Lincoln over Memorial Bridge. There's a Metro stop or you can Tourmobile.

That's about it off the top of my head. Please feel free to PM me about your trip.

#199523 - 04/02/10 08:11 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Spend some time on the Smithsonian's website. They have so very much to see.

You mention Air & Space -- check out the extension that opened a few years ago near Dulles Airport.

Also, carve out 2 or 3 hours for the Natural History Museum. That's my fave.

And check out the IMAX films.

http://www.si.edu/museums/

Once you get to DC, the best stuff is free.

#199524 - 04/02/10 08:20 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Some free parking tips:

Monday - Friday: 3-hours of free parking is available all along Ohio Drive SW between the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. In the evenings don't worry about the time limit. And don't worry about it on weekends. There's also a small free public parking lot near the Jefferson. Best to do the memorials early morning or evening.

You can park along the Mall for free but would have to get there early in the morning and there is a time limit.

U.S. Capitol Reflecting Pool parking areas -- "Permit Only" signs are not enforced after about 3:00p in the afternoon. No time limit in the evening. This is a great place to park for visiting the U.S. Botanical Garden, Indian, Air & Space, Natural History and National Gallery of Art.

Weekends: The "permit only" signs around the Capitol Reflecting Pool, along Constitution Avenue and D, Delaware and 1st Streets NE are not enforced, at all. Haines Point has free parking on weekends which is fairly convenient to the Holocaust Museum, Jefferson, FDR and Washington Monument. I'm used to walking a lot so "fairly convenient" to me may not be to some others.

#199540 - 04/02/10 11:33 PM Re: EDC for D.C. [Re: Dagny]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Dagny

...snip...

You mention Air & Space -- check out the extension that opened a few years ago near Dulles Airport.

...snip..

I have NOT yet made it to Dulles, as it wasn't open last time I was down, but I'll add one that is great if you are REALLY into airplanes, and if you can get out to Silver Hill MD - The Garber Restoration Facility - I think it's 2 tours/day, limited numbers, and NOT every day. It's where they restore the airplanes, and where they (at least used to) store the planes that are not on display. You're only allowed in a couple of the hangers, as the rest are closed to the public

Ooops - nevermind - no longer open to the public, as most of it has been oved out to Dulles

http://www.nasm.si.edu/garber/

Edited by KG2V (04/02/10 11:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Found out it was closed
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.