Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#198786 - 03/23/10 10:33 PM cut/puncture ressitant gloves?
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
After a hurricane passes and I'm able to leave the storm shelter there has always been mounds of unidentifiable garbage to be cleared. Was it a boat? airplane? animal, vegetable, mineral? Impossible to tell, but the one certainty was that it had broken glass to cut my hands, rusty nails to puncture, and probably a snake to keep things interesting.

Pictures from recent earthquakes show a similar problem, and I assume such debris is a daily/routine issue for firefighters, EMT and police.

What is working well for people to resist cuts and punctures yet retain some dexterity for grasping and removing debris? I already have a small whisk broom in my car for other reasons, but sometimes you have to grab something to get it out of the way.

#198790 - 03/23/10 11:01 PM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I have used, not abused! those $5 work gloves available at 7-11 for dangerous tasks. They work well and protect from heat very well too!

#198793 - 03/23/10 11:32 PM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: sybert777]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Woven polyester gloves with rubber on the palms work pretty well. They are puncture and abrasion resistant. They are also cheap.

#198808 - 03/24/10 01:23 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

#198813 - 03/24/10 02:04 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: Susan]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Get a pair of leather work gloves from whatever store sells wood. I have a pair from local home improvement store and they are quite strong, since they are intended to keep your hands safe from wood splinters etc.

#198814 - 03/24/10 02:15 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: jzmtl]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Leather work gloves are the basic tool. Welding gloves are much tougher (and heavier).

My father (who ran cattle for 30 years) swears by a brand of rubber-coated cotton that is mostly impermeable to barbed wire. I don't know the name, but they are widely available in country hardware stores (the ones where the square footage of bolts vs. potpourri is at least 100:1).

But why handle things directly? A small shovel or full-size spade will keep sharp, bio-active, or biting things at a safe distance. Extra-long needle-nose pliers are gold as well (when handling traps with deer-hanta-mice for example).

#198815 - 03/24/10 02:30 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I agree with Doug. Any decent pair of leather work gloves will work for your needs. Make a visit to your closest hardware or Home Depot store. They will both have a good selection of gloves to choose from.

I use these Rona brand (Canadian hardware/lumber supply chain stores) gloves which are priced south of $10.00

John Lubbock

#198825 - 03/24/10 03:43 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> What is working well for people to resist cuts and punctures yet retain some
> dexterity for grasping and removing debris?

It's all a compromise. I grew up using Missouri Mule gloves - leather palm and fingers with some kind of fabric back and stiff cuffs that went up the wrist a couple of inches. You can't thread a needle while wearing them, but barb wire, cables, and whatever else never punctured them. This is similar:
http://www.discountsafetygear.com/mens-leather-work-gloves-white-mule-wells-lamont.html

As for the unidentifiable garbage, I'd recommend using honking huge rubber gloves to wear inside the leather gloves. I don't mean dishwashing gloves, I mean big thick rubber work gloves that'll fit inside the leather. That way the rubber doesn't get punctured. Your hands will sweat and stink, but the rubber keeps the chemicals and germs away.

The ones I used at the tie plant (railroad ties newly steamed in creosote) looked like these, but I'm going by the picture:
http://www.abcsafetyglasses.com/mly-13-152.html
They were _not_ puncture proof; hence, we wore them inside our leather gloves, which soaked through with the creosote.

I have a pair of leather gloves in all my bailout bags, on the assumption that I'll be dealing with broken glass and maybe broken studs, nails, screws, and the like.

#198827 - 03/24/10 04:20 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: philip]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
philip raises an important point.

When handling materials that may be chemically toxic, leather gloves are not enough. They will absorb the gunk and can, in fact, increase overall exposure over time if they are not properly and thoroughly cleaned (assuming that is even possible). Simply put, each time you use those gloves you get another dose through your skin. Nasty business.

BTW, the treatments used on railway ties and power poles are the worst. Coal tar creosote and additives, designed to kill fungi (perhaps the hardiest forms of life on Earth) for 30 years or more. Nothing to trifle with.

#198829 - 03/24/10 06:56 AM Re: cut/puncture ressitant gloves? [Re: dougwalkabout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
You can get kevlar gloves for slash protection.
They are usually yellow and look knitted, also usually under ten dollars.
They offer no barrier to chemicals but, as Doug and Phillip say, you can wear rubber glove over or under them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.