Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#189674 - 12/01/09 11:14 PM Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ...
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How do you carry your tail switch flashlight so it doesn't accidentally get turned on?

#189676 - 12/02/09 12:33 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: TeacherRO]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Depends on what style it is, also the diameter. If it's recessed so the button is flush or below the end diameter/base you can put a plumbing cap on it (metal or plastic). I have found that some bottle caps work for this as well. If the flashlight is wider then you may try: a cap off an aluminum energy bottle, gatorade, 3L pop bottles, wide mouth aquafinas, mickeys grenades, etc.

Or Maybe something like on canes/walkers or heavy duty tube caps

Edited by T_Co (12/02/09 12:43 AM)
Edit Reason: Links

#189680 - 12/02/09 01:09 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: T_Co]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I used to carry a bottom-click 2-AA cell Streamlight, in size and shape very much like the popular 2-AA Maglite, every day at work in a vertical nylon sheath. At first I was worried it would turn on and drain itself because it was, to a good extent, riding on the push-button switch. But it never did turn itself on. The switch was fairly stiff and the nylon sheath had a rounded bottom.

Thinking ahead I was planning on wrapping the barrel under wider head with some cordage so it wouldn't slide so deeply into the sheath and hold the push-button up off the bottom. But the problem failed to materialize and the modification wasn't needed.

For a while I used to carry a tiny single AAA-cell keychain light with its button on the bottom. This did have a problem as it tended to turn itself on when I slipped it into my pants packet. A bit embarrassing to have your pocket glowing. 'Do you have a flashlight in your pocket or are you just happy to see me' was funny the first three times but rapidly lost its shine.

I was able to correct the issue by disassemble the light and shortening the push button by 3/16". The button was hollow with a spring inside so I had to shorten the spring slightly and fill the hollow with epoxy but once I was done it worked reliably and didn't activate in my pocket. I carried that light for a couple of years and it served me well. Not bad for an $8 light.

#189684 - 12/02/09 02:03 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: Art_in_FL]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Most of my lights I carry tip-down in my pocket, opposite side of my knife. Only rarely do I have it turn on, and even then, it was specific model. I think most of hte lights have enough strength in the tailcap to avoid this. Otherwise, if you're worried, get a holster.

#189691 - 12/02/09 02:34 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: MDinana]
ajax Offline

I carry clicky up in a diplomat pouch. Never had it turn on.

#189703 - 12/02/09 03:21 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: ajax]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I carry twist ended lights with also push-button but they are not "clicky". They are good but still have the potential yours do to turn on so I just usncrew them a bit more so you can't click/psuh them on and when I need them I twist and then can push or can twist for constant on.

#189709 - 12/02/09 03:58 AM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: Todd W]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I carry a clicky end up in a stronger than bull Maxpedition sheath. The top flap keeps the clicky from activating.

In general, I prefer twisties, especially for pocket carry - they seem to be more fool proof.

#189743 - 12/02/09 05:44 PM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: NightHiker]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
[quote=NightHiker]I've put Niteize IQ Switches on all my mini Mag Lights. It's switch is slightly recessed so it's difficult for it to be accidentally switched on and if it does it shuts of automatically in 14 minutes. I've never had one of my Surefire lights accidentally activate.

The IQ switch is also available with a LED upgrade

Good piece of gear.

That is a great upgrade. I added the Nitize tailcap and LED upgrade to a old mini mag and was really impressed. About a week later someone gifted me a new LED minimag and upon comparison the nitize upgrade is a much brighter bulb.

#189990 - 12/05/09 12:52 PM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: TeacherRO]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have used 2 options depending on the flashlight model.

If I want to carry the light lens up, I put a large coin (Twoonie in Canada) in the bottom of the pouch, this works well as long as the on/off button does not extend beyond the housing (and you always have money for coffee).

Lately I have been carrying my Fenix TK11 lens down in an OC pouch with a snap flap, it draws fast and has only accidently turned on once.

Mike

#190001 - 12/05/09 04:54 PM Re: Bottom clicky flashlights: How to carry ... [Re: SwampDonkey]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
My D10 has a slightly recessed switch and is quite stiff, but I've found it on once or twice. I keep it in dim mode so it hardly matters if it is left on for a few hours.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.