Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179266 - 08/14/09 08:24 AM Dremel uses ????
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In the other thread (McGyvering something ), Izzy mentioned using his Dremel to sharpen knives or shaping edges.

I was thinking about buying a Dremel but didn't see much use for it. I may convince myself into buying one if it can be used easily for sharpening or shaping knife edges (plus other uses).

Need your advice on the Dremel and its uses.
And how it can help me in making my own homemade knife or tools.

BTW, I have a small DIY workshop at home but my tools are mostly hand tools plus three electric drills and two electric saws. That's it.

Also, been thinking about a grinder. But if the Dremel will do the same job (I doubt ???), a Dremel will be more versatile.

#179267 - 08/14/09 08:28 AM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

One more question:
if indeed the Dremel can be used to sharpen a knife, how do you control it into a stright line along the blade edge ?

Holding a Dremel in my hand , it will go like zig zag
converting the straight blade to almost a serrated one LOL

#179268 - 08/14/09 10:09 AM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: Chisel]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Hmm, the Dremel tool is pretty versatile for smaller, light duty tasks. Basically anything that needs a delicate touch. be it drilling, sawing, grinding, polishing...

But it doesn't have the power to tackle any larger projects. It's definitely no substitute for the power drill/drill press, angle grinder or bench sander.

You can use a Dremel to sharpen tools. Several ways to do it and not necessarily easy to do a neat job. I prefer to clamp the blade and move the wheel along to the edge in a straight line. Always in the proper direction of rotation so that the wheel bites into the edge instead of skating over it. You have to hold the tool firmly and don't keep the wheel on one spot for too long or it will go all over the place and ruin the geometry.

In practice I don't use my Dremel for sharpening very much. For coarse work a file or wet bench grinder is much more effective and for fine grinding and polishing sharpening by hand guarantees better control and consistent angle.

#179270 - 08/14/09 10:29 AM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: Tom_L]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I think Tom_L's first sentence hit the nail on the head.

I use my Dremel for fine grinding and polishing pretty much exclusively. The bench grinder can do easily what the Dremel only dream of and the reverse is true as well. I wouldn't give up either.

#179273 - 08/14/09 11:19 AM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: 7point82]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I'll tell ya, nothing beats a cordless Dremel for trimming big dog's nails. No more clipper drama. If you start getting to close to the "quik", the nail gets warm and the dog lets you know. I bought one for this use alone.

Craig.

#179276 - 08/14/09 12:06 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: celler]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Unless you're very confident with sharpening I suggest you either become profilent with other, more conventional methods or invest in a number of cheap blades to try it out...

I'm not good at sharpening, but I see some immediate pitfalls:

1) Getting the optimum sharpening angle with a freehand is going to be challenging.

2) The dremel is unforgiving. Do it wrong, and the edge is practically ruined because you have removed so much metal that you'd practically have to remove about half of the remaining knife to get it right again.

3) You have to be careful or the heat will ruin the temper of the steel.

4) It is going to change your edge profile unless you REALLY know what you are doing. If you sharpen so that the edge bites into such a small diameter wheel, two tings could happen. Hold it too high, and you create a very obtuse edge profile. Rock solid, but not very sharp. Hold it too low, and your knife will turn into a "hollow ground" edge profile. This is the oposite of a convex edge. I.e. an edge that is very thin, potentially very sharp, but also quite easy to break.

A skilled sharpener will probably pull it off easily, but he'd probably be able to make it sharp with basically anything. Me? I am not convinced I could pull it off at all...

That being said, I enjoy a dremel for most other small McGyver cutting, filing or polishing tasks.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (08/14/09 12:09 PM)

#179281 - 08/14/09 12:39 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: Chisel]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I save a lot of money on dental work with my dremel.

#179283 - 08/14/09 01:07 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: MartinFocazio]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I myself once thought what is the purpose of having a Dremel? Now I cannot think of not having it. I use it mostly for cutting with fiber wheels. It is a great tool. Get one, you will not be disappointed. Also, look at their new Multi-Max. My brother has one and it paid for itself in the grief reduction factor after two uses.

Standard Disclaimer

$.02

#179289 - 08/14/09 02:04 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the insights

This seems to be two in one for all purposes

What is the thickest metal anyone of you have cut with a Dremel ?

#179307 - 08/14/09 03:10 PM Re: Dremel uses ???? [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I use mine for sanding a lot, and cutting nails or bolts where I can't get the sawz-all. Also the polisher is nice for gun parts, and other metal objects.

I've had the original dremel around 15 years I think it is now... awesome tool, and still going, made much better than the newer models but they still work great too smile and I have one of them as well. Next up is I want a cordless laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.