The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#179207 - 08/13/09 03:43 PM McGyvering something
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I need something that is similar to a tanto blade but as thick as a chisel

I have seen Razels ..etc. but really don't want to pay that kind of money. I thought if there is anything very close in hardware stores, and I work hard to finish it the way I like it, that would suit me well.

Chisels are close, chisel tip is there ( althought it is at 90 degrees ), the side can be sharpened into a blade, but there is a two inch part between the handle and "blade" that can't be used or shapened. Actually I need this tool to be as short as possible ( blade no more than 3 inches. )

If I start with a knife, the blade is there and I can cut it to 3 inches and 45 degrees (tanto style) but then the blade is not thick enough for chiseling and prying. Some painters scraping knives are the right size and only need sharpening, but they are not thick enough.

Cutting and sharpening a cleaver will do the trick
But that is waaay beyond me and my small DIY workshop

I am not looking for expensive stuff. I need something cheap and rough to use around the home & garage.

Any ideas ?

#179217 - 08/13/09 04:44 PM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Chisel]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Try one of these:

EOD Tool

EOD Tool Mod

There is also the CRKT MAK and the Boker COP Tool you may want to consider.

Pete

#179224 - 08/13/09 05:31 PM Re: McGyvering something [Re: paramedicpete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, Cold Steel makes a recon Tanto that is pretty thick and tough. But I like the EOD tool Pete identified above.

#179228 - 08/13/09 06:09 PM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Chisel]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'll second the Boker Cop Tool. The size fits your spec and the price is right. Great value for the money. Needs to be sharpened-up a bit when its new out of the box.

#179231 - 08/13/09 07:08 PM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Chisel]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

The question is, what are you really going to use it for?

If I understand correctly you're looking for a multipurpose tool. But what exactly shoiuld it be capable of doing, how well, what are the main priorities?

#179249 - 08/14/09 02:00 AM Re: McGyvering something [Re: ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
My old-style Recon Tanto is tough as nails. The new ones don't seem to be quite as tough. Maybe get a thick meat cleaver and grind it down?

#179250 - 08/14/09 02:12 AM Re: McGyvering something [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Get an old Mill-Bastard file or piece of leaf spring and spend the day communing with your bench grinder. Make sure to keep the piece cooled with oil or water unless you plan on heat treating later.

RIP OBG

#179258 - 08/14/09 04:43 AM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Desperado]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Look up 'knife making' supplies using your favorite search engine. Get an appropriate blank that closest matches your dimensional and metallurgical requirements and either grind it yourself or have a someone who does such work do it for you.

There are some custom knife makers who accept work in the form of drawings and specifications. They may consent to using a blank you provide, or not. They can often help determine what you want and offer suggestions on relatively arcane subjects like selection of the steel, heat treating and grind angles. But their expertise and skills seldom come cheap.

If you know what you want you may be able to save money by finding a more generalized metal working shop.

If you are determined a thick blank can be ground on bench stones by hand. It really doesn't take that much effort if you use really course stones to rough the shape and work your way to finer stones. I have also seen bench tools like sanding discs and bench grinders used. More than one home smith has used a belt sander. Power tools save time and effort but they also make temperature control more critical.

#179262 - 08/14/09 07:07 AM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Art_in_FL]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks guys

I will be useing it for anything you can imagine from prying, splitting wood, cutting, scraping ..etc. A few days ago I used a knife to pry open a can of paint and the knife was "painted" and I didn't have near me anything to wipe it with. So, this tool will be there to do all the dirty work instead of my pocket knife.

Also I need onething in my life that I don't have to "be careful with". In this stressful life, we have to be careful about everything from people's feelings to the tip of a pocket knife. It's nice to feel relaxed with one tool that you can use and abuse with no consequences.

( sounds too phylosophical but it's true )

The EDO tool is the closest thing to what I need although I prefer the chisel head to be at soemthing like 70 degrees not 90. Problem is that Countycomm doesnt sell outside the U.S.

( I am not in the U.S. and I was thinking about starting a business after retirement and wonder if countycomm ..etc. will agree to having international distributers! ).

Anyway, my original thought was about McGyvering something.
I just remebered a friend who did some metal work for a project we were doing and maybe I'll talk to him and see whet he suggests. Maybe I can get a small blank from him (cheap or free) or get advice where to find a good machinist

OTOH, a long thick machete maybe narrow enough to convince me to do it myself. Advanatge over the EOD tool is that it will have a decent wooden handle. If I find one within $15, and it is no more than 2 inch wide, I will cut the length down to 3-4 inch long at about 70 degrees, and sharpen the front into a chisel edge.

#179278 - 08/14/09 12:26 PM Re: McGyvering something [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Before starting my adventure , let me ask you guys about chisel-type knives you have used. I have looked at this Razel

You notice that the front edge is tilted reverse-tanto style.
I wonder if it is ergonomically correct and is the use for scraping and prying as easy as when you have it the other way (tanto style) ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.