There is fairly universal agreement that boiling water is the best way to rid it of pathogens, but the recommended boiling times vary widely:

"Simply bring the water to a rolling boil and maintain the boil for one minute, regardless of elevation." [/i]Mountaineering; The Freedom of the Hills[i] 8th edition, p. 65

"for safety, you should always boil water furiously for at least five minutes. Increase the boiling time at higher altitudes..."[/i]Outdoor Survival handbook[i] Raymond Mears, p 55

My favorite: "CDC and the EPA recommend boiling water for a full minute (three minutes above 6500 feet... because water boils at a lower temperature.... [/b]However simply bringing water to a boil is just as effective[b]" (emphasis added). [/i]Medicine for Mountaineering[i] James Wilkerson, 6th edition.

I read recently on one internet source, which for various reasons I did not consider reliable, that one should boil water for five minutes, increasing by one minute for each 1,000 foot increase in elevation. That would mean fifteen minutes of boiling at 10,000 feet. If there is any water left in your pot it certainly should be sterile....

Wilkerson makes the point that milk is pasteurized by bringing it to 160F for 15 to 20 minutes. Just in case you were wondering, water boils at 165 degrees on the summit of Everest, so boiling works just about everywhere....

These days I bring water to a boil and then make either coffee, tea, or oatmeal (maybe FD meals), but I wonder if anyone knows of any definitive studies or experiences with boiling water.

I have, in the past, often imbibed from mountain sources without any treatment whatsoever, but mostly that was some time ago, when trails were less traveled. I generally treat water one way or another these days.

Edited by hikermor (01/25/19 07:52 PM)