The New York Times has an article this week called "As Gas Prices Swell, Trailers Shrink".

Some really cool designs in there - I especially like the Airstream Basecamp and SylvanSport Go. It was fun to watch the videos of the setup of the SylvanSport interior, converting between beds and a dinette.

But: for both general and "bug out" use, my take is that my 4WD packed with a good tent, BOB and other supplies is less expensive, more flexible, would attract less attention, and ultimately is actually easier to use and maintain.

The tent can be positioned much more flexibly (and remotely) than any of the trailers, not to mention RVs, and will be far faster to set up. A lightweight but large tarp can help turn the vehicle into a kitchen or flexible extension of shelter space.

Sure, some of these designs can also take ATVs or kayaks and other bulkier stuff - but I don't find that a compelling reason to get one. (I see a more compelling argument for a very small trailer that could carry extra gear - discussed on this forum in other threads - but personally I'd skip that too.)

What do you all think?