Had a small evacuation (100 homes) last night during a ride with a state trooper (friend).

He first saw the flames arching into the sky (the blast area was called 1/2 mile in diameter, but I doubt it was actually that big) from about 2 miles away. We scoped it with binocs and then responded when a call came out for any available unit to assist.

Four unfortunate guys got burned pretty bad and had to be life flighted out. All in critical condition.

I was amazed how many people just came out to watch the fireworks. That dumb propensity for humans to just mill around and talk. We had to keep telling people to go home, get their loved ones, and scoot. Most people were calm about it. But I noticed very little in the back of hatchbacks or pickups as they left. Lucky for them, they were allowed to come back in a few hours. Also, incoming traffic was allowed if they lived in the area.

Two reverse 911 calls were sent out. Traffic was orderly. I was very impressed with command center.

Shelters were easily set up with the local churches and a city building.

The things that struck me were the vast amount of resources gobbled up by this smallish evac. With a large evac, there is no way we or anyone else would be able to get the blind lady, the non-ambulatory, etc. that were unable to self-evacuate. That's the biggest worry I have in a major natural disaster. We independent souls on this forum tend to clap ourselves on the back for our own preparedness (which is good!). But I grieve for those who are sick or unable to get out if "the big one" hits our area.

Another thing was how important a 72 (or 96hr) kit is to have in the vehicle at all times. you may not be able to get back to your home.

I know, Darwin's rules and all. But it's still sad. One thing I believe is communities that are closely organized and work together have a far better chance of getting through natural disasters. I think CERT training is good and all, but the main thing is get to know your neighbors and do favors for them...it will come back to you when you are in need.

I sometimes shake my head at the "I'll shoot anyone who comes looking for food" mentality. Far better to act cooperatively and share valuable resources. Few will have everything they need, no matter how well prepared they think they are.