Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#293925 - 10/24/19 01:31 AM Prep for long term isolation from medical care
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The discussion about tourniquets got me thinking about high bang for buck medical devices in disasters that disrupt our first world health care delivery system and degrade it to a third world level. A tourniquet stops the arterial bleed, but at the cost of slowly killing all the cells distal to it. Definitive care requires tying off or repairing the artery. closing the wound, maybe amputating the limb. Civil war era medicine, maybe. We could get there with an EMP, a really big storm,big or failed state level social collapse, anything that disrupts power grids and transportation, isolating portions of the population.
Parenteral fluid replacement equipment is a nominee. The body can heal itself quite remarkably if hydration is supported.
proctoclysis is available without the issues of needles and injection skills.
Hypodermoclysis , involves injection skills but does not require venous access.

Both of these methods are in current use in pediatric and geriatric medicine, and are simpler and safer to manage than IV therapy. That said, IV threapy was restricted to physicians until the mid 1950's, and has subsequently been added to nursing and paramedic practice with great success.

#293926 - 10/24/19 03:29 AM Re: Prep for long term isolation from medical care [Re: nursemike]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Great info, nursemike! The first link isn't working for me but the 2nd one does.

#293929 - 10/24/19 04:20 PM Re: Prep for long term isolation from medical care [Re: Phaedrus]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
proctoclysis

This technique has morphed into a substance abuse methodology called boufing. Historically, ethanol was administered this way to prevent seizures, and stop premature labor. Strong coffee was used as a respiratory stimulant. The lower intestine has excellent water absorption capabilities.

#293953 - 10/27/19 01:13 AM Re: Prep for long term isolation from medical care [Re: nursemike]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
'The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way' and 'The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide: Emergency Preparedness for ANY Disaster' by Dr Joseph Alton and his wife, a nurse, delves into the topic of when when modern medicine isn't readily available.

He does look into some previously used procedures that, while seemingly primitive now, would be better than just sitting there and dying when modern medicine isn't available.

Their website is https://www.doomandbloom.net

#293954 - 10/27/19 01:51 AM Re: Prep for long term isolation from medical care [Re: nursemike]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
A strong second for Dr Joe and Nurse Amy. In addition to their excellent books, they have great YouTube videos and I was privileged to take a class from them face to face on one occasion.

#294574 - 01/15/20 10:45 PM Re: Prep for long term isolation from medical care [Re: Phaedrus]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
https://journals.rcni.com/doi/abs/10.7748/en2010.02.17.9.26.c7537

I think that will 'fix' the first link and get you the information.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.