Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#293979 - 10/30/19 06:00 PM Californians refine the art of evacuations
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska

#293983 - 10/30/19 08:16 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Practice makes perfect. Like threading a needle, or changing the oild in your vehicle, the second try goes smoother.

#294021 - 11/01/19 10:47 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

TheL A Times ran an article stating that responses to fires were more massive and effective and that population affected were heeding evacuation notices in greater number, with less loss of life. We are currently smelling the smoke and seeing the ash fall from the Maria fire, which broke out recently near the origin of the Thomas fire two years ago. with much less wind, it only grew to 8700 acres, but everybody was thinking "Here we go again."

And I would definitely go. Get out of the way and let the firefighters do their job unhindered. Take the important things and leave the rest to Fate.

#294022 - 11/02/19 12:22 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
With no unnecessary introduction: Survival Learnings From A California Fire Evacuee
Quote:
...Here’s how much of a difference timely action made:

The ‘evacuation warning’ advisory became a ‘mandatory evacuation’ order at 4am on Saturday night. My car was ready to go and I was on the road out of town within 5 minutes.

Several friends of mine left home just 45 minutes after I did. By that time, the fleeing traffic made the roads essentially immobile. My friends had to turn back to ride things out in their homes, simply hoping for the best.

So I’m reminded of the old time-management axiom: If you can’t be on time, be early. ...

#294023 - 11/02/19 01:41 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Thanks, Russ. Great article.

I agree with his recommendations, esp. keeping gas tanks at least one-half full and have cash on hand.

#294025 - 11/02/19 03:42 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Agree, I topped off my tank when the recent fire danger became more evident. There’s currently no threat where I reside, but that could change overnight; stopping for gas during an evacuation is bad planning.

My recommendation (and I have done this):
1. Fill your fuel tank.
2. Pack the items you know you’ll need to take but don’t need day-to-day.
3. Pack your bags like you’re leaving right now. These are bags for which there is still room in your vehicle. If you have pets ensure there is room for them as well.
4. Wait patiently for the threat to pass — or not.
5. If under an ‘evacuation warning’ advisory, get serious about making sure everything is ready to go.
*** That’s as far as I’ve gotten on my wildfire to-do list. I’ve never gotten to #6.
6. The actual evacuation order is a signal that you are running late. Grab the dog and go. Everything else should already be in your car/truck.

Just say, “see ya later” to your home and drive away. Get out of the local firefighter’s way. Don’t be the guy they need to prioritize over putting out the fire.

#294087 - 11/07/19 01:48 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Good article from Slate.com on the subject of evacuating.

Evacuating California wildfires again
Quote:
...We were in no immediate danger, but the East Bay hills have burned before and it’s possible they’ll burn again. So I’d suggested to my partner that we pack as an experiment, just to get used to the idea. We had an emergency kit we’d assembled in case of earthquakes; on top of that I threw in some underwear and socks, chargers, a backup drive, and a toothbrush, with a bag of dog food and some leashes. I’ve long been proud of my ability to travel light. “That’s it?” he said when he saw my tote. “That’s all you want to save?”
I realized, then, that I’d misunderstood my own assignment. I thought we were packing only what we needed to survive a few nights away from home. I hadn’t appreciated what evacuating really means: saying a provisional goodbye to everything but what you can carry. And figuring out what the discrepancies are between what you must bring and what you can. ...
... It’s hard enough not to forget things for a short trip—even when you aren’t rushed or scared—but it’s something else to reconcile the two separate challenges of a) packing all you and your loved ones need in the short-term and b) packing all you might want to save of your life as you know it. ...

#294088 - 11/07/19 03:51 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Just say, “see ya later” to your home and drive away. Get out of the local firefighter’s way. Don’t be the guy they need to prioritize over putting out the fire.

Russ speak with straight tongue. It's just things, most of which can be replaced (although the hassle is not insignificant). It's a good idea to take pictures with your cell phone as you leave the premises. Even better is to have a series of photos of your goods prepped before hand.

#294089 - 11/07/19 05:11 PM Re: Californians refine the art of evacuations [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yeah, seems like everyone has a decent camera these days which doubles as a phone. Most of those cameras take pretty decent photos of household stuff.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.