Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#285984 - 09/08/17 05:38 PM M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
An M 8.2 earthquake struck the W coast of Mexico. The quake caused a tsunami about 1 meter high, but it appears the fatalities are mostly due to the quake itself.

Mexico Earthquake, Strongest in a Century, Kills Dozens

#285986 - 09/08/17 05:41 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

yes, a huge quake.
not getting much news attention because of Hurricane Irma. Mexico was lucky that this quake was located under the ocean, off the coast. Prayers for the families who have lost loved ones.

This from the news, 8 Sep, 2017

The southern town of Juchitan in Oaxaca state, near the epicenter, was hit particularly hard, with sections of the town hall, a hotel, a bar and other buildings reduced to rubble.
"The situation is Juchitan is critical; this is the most terrible moment in its history," the town's mayor, Gloria Sanchez said, after the long, rumbling quake that also shook Guatemala and El Salvador.

THE BEST SITE for earthquakes is ... www.earthquake-report.com
Go there and take a look at "massive earthquake near coast of Chiapas" ... see the local videos from Chiapas, Mexico.

Edited by Pete (09/08/17 07:58 PM)

#285991 - 09/08/17 08:24 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Here is another good source, especially for the technical details:
http://temblor.net/earthquake-insights/m8-0-earthquake-strikes-offshore-mexico-5024/

#285993 - 09/08/17 08:36 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

For the technically minded, see the USGS event page:
M 8.1 - 87km SW of Pijijiapan, Mexico

#285994 - 09/08/17 09:00 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

AKSAR & Hikermor - thanks. Both very nice sites.
I like Earthquake-Report.com because it has a "human touch", and people who live near the quake actually send short msgs saying what it felt like.

I do find the Shake-Maps to be very helpful.
OTOH, the "beachballs" (moment tensor plots) are confusing. :-)

Edited by Pete (09/08/17 09:03 PM)

#286001 - 09/09/17 04:14 AM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very scary! Indeed, as bad as it was it could have been far worse.

#286354 - 09/20/17 09:27 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

As most are aware, Mexico suffered another earthquake of M7.1 on September 19. The Atlantic has some graphic Photos of the Earthquake in Mexico City.

For those of you who live in earthquake country, how prepared are you for something like this in your town?

#286355 - 09/20/17 10:34 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

For those of you who live in earthquake country, how prepared are you for something like this in your town?

Ah, that is the question!!

I tend to disperse relevant items about the place, many things outside the house and hopefully readily retrievable. I have a fair amount of camping/outdoor gear and our general plan is to camp out in the yard, assuming the house will be uninhabitable. Our vehicles are equipped with FAKs, sleeping bags,water, food -one of our peripheral stashes which can also function if other emergencies, like wildfires, should be the choice. We regularly fill up when half full.

Pantry contains a variety of foods, mostly canned/easily prepared and all are items which we can tolerate, if not relish, in normal circumstances. All canteens are kept full and there are about 30 gallons of water stashed here and there. We can purify, if need be.

Under our bed are crowbars, tools for gas and water shutoff. Lights are handy next to the bed. I sleep with my key ring, which has a light and several essentials.

Biggest concern could be post event fires (remember Frisco 06!).

Our biggest bookcase is a built in, and the others are small. No heavy objects on the walls or mirrors on the ceiling (occasionally there is champagne on ice, though).

Once the homestead is stable, I hope to join in CERT and salvage efforts.

Did anyone note that Los Angeles experienced a 3.6 and. no, it was not the Dodgers, beating the walls in frustration.....

#286356 - 09/21/17 12:15 AM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
You can never be totally prepared for something like what happened in Mexico City. The Magnitude 7.1 was bad, the 8.2 from 32 years ago was worse. However, we live in a single story built to California EQ code and fortunately we don't live near the major faults (there's more than one) so it should remain standing. That said, while my humble dwelling probably won't be an issue; area wide infrastructure will be an issue and some of that by necessity, crosses fault lines.

Hikermor and I have had this discussion in a thread from way back. After counting fingers and toes, I'll put on my boots because you never know what broken glass is out there in search of a bare foot. Shutting off NG is next. After that, hopefully the garage door won't be bent and unable to open; assuming the door does open, the truck is a mobile kit so I want it out on the street where it's not subject to having a house fall on it. Remember there will be aftershocks and one of those may finish a job only started by the first EQ.

Then we assess the overall situation: electricity, water, major roads, bridges, et al. A lot of that info will come from the local news. If cable is still up we'll probably still have internet and if that's up it's just another day following a typical SOCAL EQ and no big deal. But we're talking about Mexico City's Mag-7.1 and if we have buildings and bridges doing what happened there, then I seriously doubt such niceties as electricity, water, cable TV and internet will be available. Hopefully a local radio station will still be functioning. It will be a really bad come-as-you-are disaster.

#286425 - 09/23/17 04:05 PM Re: M 8.2 earthquake in Mexico [Re: AKSAR]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
A 6.1 magnitude earthquake shook southern Mexico on Saturday morning ( September 23, 2017), the US Geological Survey said, rattling a country still coming to grips with the devastation from two stronger temblors earlier this month.

Saturday's quake was centered in Oaxaca state, about 275 miles southeast of Mexico City.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/23/americas/mexico-oaxaca-earthquake/index.html

John Lubbock

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.