Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#251760 - 10/15/12 10:36 PM Backup Prescription Meds
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I have found a way to build a backup supply of prescription meds. My insurance will allow refills up to 7 days in advance before the last prescription runs out. I don't know if all insurance plans allow this.

You have to be meticulous about refilling all your meds right on the 7th day previous (i.e. refills every 3 weeks). After doing this four times, you will have a one month backup supply which seems like a reasonable amount.

This can be very tedious if you have a number of meds all due for refills on different dates. And after you build up your backup supply, you cannot get lax about when you get new refills or you will end up eating into your backup supply. So, it is a constant effort, however, I think it is worth it even if you only end up with a week or two's backup when a disaster hits.

I keep my 5 bottle backup supply in a Ziplock ready to go. Do remember to rotate out bottles from your backup with any new prescriptions you get.

#251774 - 10/16/12 04:57 AM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Also check to see if it's on your pharmacies generic plan. Sam's Clubs have a serious price break for some generics even without insurance. 30 day/90 day refills are $4/$10 IIRC. If your medicine is on the list, pay it yourself for one refill then you can refill it much earlier. I refilled my last one 30 days ahead of time to start the cycle.

#251779 - 10/16/12 01:38 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
My backup people meds are in bottles,mylar vacuum packed with O2 absorbers in a cool place.

The dog and fish meds,some are stored that way,have more I need to package next time doing mylar packing.IN unopened bottles.

Only reasonable price for zithromax was an Indian pharmacy,they seemed to work but who knows? Anyone have a good source for zithromax,maybe vet source like the antibiotics?

Dont want a political argument on vaccines but Im adding pneumonia and shingles vaccs to next MD visit.

#251781 - 10/16/12 01:48 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: UTAlumnus]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Also check to see if it's on your pharmacies generic plan. Sam's Clubs have a serious price break for some generics even without insurance. 30 day/90 day refills are $4/$10 IIRC. If your medicine is on the list, pay it yourself for one refill then you can refill it much earlier. I refilled my last one 30 days ahead of time to start the cycle.
I was able to buy my meds,generics, a time back using my AAA card with their discount at Walgrens and it was cheaper than using our insurance with a co pay on those generics.

#251787 - 10/16/12 04:30 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: shingles vaccine... as spuds mentioned, if you had chickenpox as a kid, get the shingles vaccine as early as you can... a friend (older gentleman)had a severe case of multi year duration...he had to have a drain implanted to reduce the swelling of his brain....vaccine was $200 at my MD, but was later reimbursed by my insurance...on the pneumonia vaccine...down here the death sequence for us old guys...break hip, enter nursing home, six weeks later contract pneumonia from someone's snotty nosed grandkid, die....

#251788 - 10/16/12 05:00 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Bud of mine in his 60's got shingles,I mentioned vacc,he said DO IT DO IT DO IT.

200 sounds pricey to me,and money well spent too. Thanks for pricing info.

#251794 - 10/16/12 07:43 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: LesSnyder]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I turn 60 next year, just got my shingles vaccine yesterday. Checked with Insurance and they covered it. Have had family and acquaintances get shingles. Nasty, horrible and painful. You don't want to get shingles!!!!! Get the vaccine. Many insurance carriers will cover one you get to 55 or within 6 months of 60.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#251798 - 10/16/12 09:04 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Get the Shingles vaccine! No kidding. My grandfather was living with us when I was a kid. I think I was 9 or 10 when he got it. It made such a lasting impression that when the Doc said it was time for me to consider it, I said YES! Right away!

How bad is it when it made such an impression on me that I clearly remembered it 50+ years later?

Like the TV says, if you had chicken pox, the shingles virus is alteady inside you and just waiting. . .

Even if insurance does not cover it, it is worth the out of pocket expense.

#257441 - 03/10/13 11:39 PM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Treeseeker]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
With my insurance, I have a three-day advance. Moreover, one of my medications is a narcotic. I can’t get it earlier by paying out-of-pocket. In a best-case scenario, I can build up a thirty-one-day supply in one year. Fortunately all my medications are due the same day, making it easy.

Other issues:

Sometimes one medication is changed and I go to square-one to build a reserve supply.

After stocking medications for a year, I have a two-month supply at best if there is a sudden supply chain disruption.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257443 - 03/11/13 12:09 AM Re: Backup Prescription Meds [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Thanks for bumping this thread JeanetteIsabelle. One of the great preps that I've learned here was to refill prescriptions as early as my insurance company will allow so that I can have backups in my kits.

New readers this thread is great advice to ensure you and your loved ones always have prescription meds on hand in an emergency.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 353 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.