Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#284057 - 03/14/17 04:45 PM National Park Fatalities
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
http://www.azfamily.com/story/34731157/l...k-service-sites

Three high visitation parks,Lake Mead,Ysemite, and Grand Canyon, account for the greatest number of visitor deaths. Watch your step!

#284092 - 03/24/17 03:25 AM Re: National Park Fatalities [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I prefer stats to guesses - thanks. the real places and reasons and interesting

#284093 - 03/24/17 03:38 AM Re: National Park Fatalities [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I read this recently:

How 1,600 People Went Missing from Our Public Lands Without a Trace
By: Jon Billman
Mar 13, 2017

https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace

That's a whole lot of people missing. I am curious about the conspiracy theories Paulides.

Quote:
“I don’t put any theories in the books—I just connect facts,” he told me. Under “unique factors of disappearances,” he lists such ­recurring characteristics as dogs unable to track scents, the time (late afternoon is a popular window to vanish), and that many victims are found with clothing and footwear removed. Bodies are also discovered in previously searched areas with odd fre­quency, ­sometimes right along the trail. Children—and remains—are occasionally found improbable ­distances from the point last seen, in improbable ­terrain.

I listened to an interview wit him on Youtube, and was a bit disappointed he didn't venture to offer a paranormal explanation. What a killjoy!

Edited by Bingley (03/24/17 03:38 AM)

#284094 - 03/24/17 01:39 PM Re: National Park Fatalities [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Having had some experience with 'people vanishing from public lands in the west," color me skeptical with respect to these junk statistics. Not all search efforts have a happy ending. This isn't the movies, but real life.

It is certainly true that expertise in SAR varies across the country, being the domain of the local sheriff, but I sense that the capability is commensurate with the demand and need for SAR. In Pima County, AZ, where I obtained most of my experience, SAR developed over the years (after an egregious fiasco) that integrated rather well with the local USFS and NPS jurisdictions. It has only gotten better in the years since I left the scene.

It can be surprisingly difficult to find an individual in the wild - a human bod, especially if unresponsive, is very small. A searcher must concentrate and be alert for clues,all senses activated. And there is always the possibility of intentional disappearance or foul play, as in the case of Paul Fugate, a uniformed NPS employee who was last seen leaving the visitor center at Chiricahua National Monument to check the nature trail. he hasn't been seen positively since, despite intensive and extensive searches. My assessment is that he met with foul play at the hands of drug dealers or similar, and was taken away and disposed of very discreetly.

I could go on, but enough......

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.