The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#264504 - 10/19/13 08:22 PM Very poor example for the rest of us
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Just watched a Discovery show, Armageddon Preppers. While the first session was ok, the second guy shown was a complete and utter nutcase.

Not going to debate the alien threat (specifically mentioned as what this gentleman is prepping for), but I don't figure covering yourself with mud a'la Ahnold in Predator will protect you from IR cameras. Nor will drinking from the toilet BOWL, even using a filter. Nor will having two green lights on your helmet that aim 20 feet in front of your off road dirt bike do much for visibility - at what speed can you safely stop or turn after reacting to an obstacle 20 feet in front of you? Oh yeah, he thinks aloe vera makes your skin coagulate - even the wife caught that.

I'm was utterly amused by the antics of this person, after realizing his reality meter was broken. Personally, I would be loathe to have him represent any segment of the prepper community. Great TV, poor impression of what preppers are.

I realize that most of the preppers prefer to remain low-key. I do. I'm just saddened that a TV crew thought this guy was mainstream. Then again, maybe they figured he was a few fries or apple slices short of a Happy Meal and figured it would be good TV. I'm betting the latter.

#264515 - 10/20/13 10:18 AM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The title Armageddon Preppers should be hint enough that itīs not about regular disaster preparation. I would tend to believe that the crew took it as good show to get a bigger audience.
Letīs face it, real life preparation is mostly unspectacular and boring. It may not even make it into the news in case of adverse circumstances. In the case of a natural disaster, the news show people fighting over the last cans of beans in the store. They donīt show the people who bought their supplies months ago.

#264524 - 10/20/13 05:20 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

WARNING: TV is for entertainment purposes only, any similarity between what you see on TV and the real world is purely coincidental, although the producers and directors do like that some people take it seriously, it boosts ratings!

#264525 - 10/20/13 05:22 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
Fyrediver Offline

I think these shows are created for the "train wreck" viewership. The further off the rails the better! The production crew doesn't feel this guy is "normal" they think he's a loon and THAT'S good for getting attention and ratings!

I've watched a couple episodes of Doomsday Preppers on Youtube. Made me feel pretty good about myself wink

#264526 - 10/20/13 05:28 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I much prefer Science Fiction to Reality TeeVee. At least with good SF they try to get the Physics right. One recent exception being the movie Gravity -- from what I hear they did not get the physics right. Pretty bad when you can't even trust SciFi. Entertainment, don't watch it to learn how gravity works.

#264530 - 10/20/13 07:26 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Nor will drinking from the toilet BOWL

Hmmm, an Apocalypse Toilet I suspect would be more like more like The worst toilet in Scotland inside a bookies somewhere in Edinburgh. wink

#264531 - 10/20/13 07:38 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
" Entertainment, don't watch it to learn how gravity works."
Hollywood, don't watch it to learn how sci-fi works.

#264942 - 11/08/13 03:06 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I dunno. Hard to beat the stall in the tavern in the movie "Desperado". What a great faįade that would make.

Having said that, I can believe things could be pretty bad in Edinburgh. I saw the movie "Trainspotting", and was fairly astonished when Ewan MacGregor climbed out of the toilet.

#264944 - 11/08/13 03:27 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"WARNING: TV is for entertainment purposes only, any similarity between what you see on TV and the real world is purely coincidental"

so very true.
Hollywood is "mirrors and lights". they convey an image. they use actors. its all trick photography - an illusion game. TV and Hollywood rarely, if ever, show how things are done in the real world. There are exceptions, such as when a few programs and documentaries (and I do mean few) take you inside the world of real people and you can see how they think, train, and act. but for the most part Hollywood sells an image and a story ... that is their game, and its all they've got.

Pete2

Edited by Pete (11/08/13 03:28 PM)

#265203 - 11/18/13 11:08 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I think they look for loons to put on these reality TV shows. More likely people will watch them.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.