Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#266669 - 01/18/14 08:48 PM Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago.
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
The Atlantic has an interesting photo retrospective of the Northridge Earthquake, which happened on January 17, 1994.

As is usually the case in big quakes, the degree of damage depends on many factors, and can vary widely. Construction techniques play a big role. So does the ground things are built on. Secondary damage, such as fires from ruptured gas lines, can be severe. Some fatalities were probably due to it happening at night.

In 1994, California was probably better able to withstand an earthquake than most parts of the country.

#266670 - 01/18/14 09:36 PM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

one of the strange things in California right now is that there has been a lull, or quiet period, in large earthquakes. if you look at the stats, there are about 4-5 large quakes (Mag 6-7) every 25 years. but since the year 2000, it has been very quiet. probably this is just some sort of random anomaly, because I don't see any reason why the forces in the ground would have changed. but one thing is for sure, we do seem to be overdue for something big to happen. where and when is anybody's guess.

Pete

#266673 - 01/19/14 12:43 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: Pete]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
...because I don't see any reason why the forces in the ground would have changed.

I am not a geologist or seismologist but it could be that the fault has slipped until it reached a stronger outcropping of rock.

#266674 - 01/19/14 12:50 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Earthquake prediction is an oxymoron, if there ever was one. The two plates meeting at the San Andreas Fault are slipping past one another at about the speed at which your fingernails are growing, so there are all kinds of variables in play that determine when things go bump. Eventually, the plate on which I live will arrive at Alaska, so maybe i will get to shake hands with ETSers there. Don't hold your breath, though.

I remember Northridge 1994 quite well. I was sleeping in an upper bunk on San Miguel Island and got an E ticket ride, as well as a delay in travel plans....What is amazing is that, despite a fair amount of infrastructure reinforcing and improvements, the powers that be in Los Angeles haven't got around to identifying and improving the many buildings that are vulnerable to the next large movement. You would think that those of us living in SoCal would be sensitive and responsive to the tectonic hazard.

#266677 - 01/19/14 01:45 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: AKSAR]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"a stronger outcropping of rock."

in which case the stronger outcropping of rock, wherever it is (underground) is going to break sooner or later. And when it does ...

Pete

#266678 - 01/19/14 03:25 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: AKSAR]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The total number of people killed from 1996 to 2012 was estimated at around 896,000 people world wide due to earthquakes. The Number of people killed in the USA over the same period was 2.

Probably better worrying about putting your trousers on while sitting down rather than standing up.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (01/19/14 03:25 AM)

#266680 - 01/19/14 04:38 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good point - worrying about death by EQ is somewhat like being concerned about attacks by wild animals, etc. - not statistically probable.

On the other hand, something like 48 people died in one collapsed apartment building in Northridge. Good construction makes all the difference - earth and unreinforced masonry bad- decent frame good.

The local hospital is erecting a major addition. They have been several months on nothing but the foundation, building (digging, actually) to keep it from succumbing to liquifaction. Now that the frame is going up, I am impressed with the massive beams and extensive bracing. Remind me of that the next time I pay for their services....

#266704 - 01/20/14 03:47 AM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: AKSAR]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I was struck especially by the pics of the 3 vehicles left very high up on a surviving span, with no visible way off it, except by air evac. or rappelling. Wonder how long the wait was. Good reason to keep necessities in a vehicle.
The National Guardsman standing guard in his camo. appears to be wielding an M-16 without a clip in it: An imposing club.

#266715 - 01/20/14 07:06 PM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: Famdoc]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Famdoc

The National Guardsman standing guard in his camo. appears to be wielding an M-16 without a clip in it: An imposing club.

Guess the rules of engagement for this particular mission makes loading the weapon somewhat ... superfluous. But he still has to make sure the "club" isn't stolen or run over by a truck.

#266716 - 01/20/14 08:04 PM Re: Northridge Earthquake was twenty years ago. [Re: MostlyHarmless]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: Famdoc
Guess the rules of engagement for this particular mission makes loading the weapon somewhat ... superfluous. But he still has to make sure the "club" isn't stolen or run over by a truck.
I don't recall hearing much about violence associated with that quake, but then again, I was not there. Perhaps one of our California members can recall whether the National Guard had to shoot anyone after the Northridge Earthquake? Or even club anyone?

Famdoc-
Note that one loads an M-16 with a magazine, not a clip. There is a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.