Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#265712 - 12/14/13 05:33 AM Here comes the cold, Boom!
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It's started snowing here about2 hours ago. We are supposed to get 12" this weekend. Temps drop to single digits, and negative temps on Monday. This is on top of about 2 inches of ice. Actually, the snow may help a bit, as the pickup was getting a bit squirrely around corners on the ice. The ice doesn't get stay as slick when it gets cold. The snow stays powdery too, so it won't compact as much.

Got all the foul weather gear packed up. Gotta go in to work tomorrow morning, so will have to run the snow thrower in the driveway before we leave. I still have some shopping to do, but the brakes are grinding, so maybe I'll take it in to see if the pads need replaced.

Time to stay hydrated. This cold the air gets quite dry. Fortunately, I know where all the good burger joints are between here and work, so if things get out of control, I shouldn't go hungry. LOL

#265729 - 12/14/13 02:00 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: benjammin]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Actually, the snow may help a bit, as the pickup was getting a bit squirrely around corners on the ice. The ice doesn't get stay as slick when it gets cold. The snow stays powdery too, so it won't compact as much.

Out of pure curiosity, are studded snow tires available/legal where you are?

Many years ago, I used to use them on my old Buick, and they worked well, but local laws did away with them due to excessive "wear" on the roads. Hence I now drive a Subaru AWD.

But IMO, on a truck, on ice, they still should be a big help if they are available/legal.

#265731 - 12/14/13 02:35 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: benjammin]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Ben, I hope you have a wee stove tucked away somewhere, so you can fix a a nice bowl of oatmeal instead of those burgers - much better for the cholesterol level.

#265735 - 12/14/13 03:29 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: bws48]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: bws48

Yes, studs are legal in winter in Alaska.

#265749 - 12/14/13 09:14 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: bws48]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
They were standard winter wear for me when I was driving a pick-up. I kept them mounted on a pair of plain rims and changed them out myself at the start of the season. The regular tires & rims went into the back for the extra weight.

#265774 - 12/15/13 06:49 AM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: bws48]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Available and legal. Last spring we got to keep them on till mid May. Both my rigs are 4wd and I have studded tires all the way around. Even on the ice I was able to go and stop pretty well. But I am mindful not to be too confident in this weather. We have 14 inches so far, and it looks like it will snow into the morning. Then it will start getting cold.

#265775 - 12/15/13 06:58 AM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: hikermor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Harder to keep the oatmeal in the bun. LOL

After running the snowthrower, we ordered burgers with the works, and a side of chili cheese fries. A can of single engine red beer to wash it down, but it was almost too much for me. I had to forego the cookies for dessert.

My cholesterol has been so high for the past 10 years it is unreadable. I think the last time they were able to read it, it was something like 430. They tried to do a lab work up on me a couple years ago, and the report read like I was about to die. I went home and did a 600 Kcal workout on the elliptical.

Grandad ate eggs and sausage and biscuits for breakfast almost every day. He rolled and smoked cigarettes, chewed tobacco, and was at least 50 lbs overweight all the time I knew him. He lived to 84, had a heart attack, and passed away an hour later. I don't reckon I will make it that long, but if I can get another 10 years or so, I will die a happy man, having lived a full life.

#265777 - 12/15/13 04:59 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Me thinks Alaska is probably a great place to live with your high cholesterol. Research actually says cholesterol is a number since it's big function is too cover and protect damaged areas along your arteries. Some of this damage is caused by chlorine and flouride (in our drinking water).

#265784 - 12/15/13 08:32 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Just a number to me.

Everybody gotta die sometime, Red. If the cholesterol don't git me, something else surely will.

#265856 - 12/17/13 02:51 PM Re: Here comes the cold, Boom! [Re: bws48]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: bws48
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Actually, the snow may help a bit, as the pickup was getting a bit squirrely around corners on the ice. The ice doesn't get stay as slick when it gets cold. The snow stays powdery too, so it won't compact as much.

Many years ago, I used to use them on my old Buick, and they worked well, but local laws did away with them due to excessive "wear" on the roads. Hence I now drive a Subaru AWD.

But IMO, on a truck, on ice, they still should be a big help if they are available/legal.

I would think a Subaru w/Snow Tires would just about be the ultimate "on-road" snow vehicle. It has a low center of gravity, good ground clearance and a great AWD system. Some of the new AWD systems utilize the brakes from side to side to simulate "lockers" as well. Not at strong as the real thing, but from some of the videos I've seen, they works well to get you unstuck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.