Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260849 - 05/23/13 02:32 AM Tornado/ Big storm basics
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Starting a thread for basic big storm planning, resources and prep.

#260854 - 05/23/13 03:23 AM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Teacher... I started a reply, but there are so many variables... can you limit your request? I'm most familiar with tropical weather... our tornadoes are nothing like the killer super cells of the plains...

Edited by LesSnyder (05/23/13 03:24 AM)

#260856 - 05/23/13 03:46 AM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In addition to "regular" preps for bugging in or bugging out, I have several tarps, plastic sheeting, contractor bags, cordage, duct tape, wire, hand and power tools, and the like. I should be able to repair or at least temporarily mitigate a certain amount of damage to my house.

The other storm-specific prep I have is a generator large enough to run both of my sump pumps, and enough gas to keep it running continuously for a couple of days.

#260863 - 05/23/13 01:16 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

for tropical storms with a lead time warning

start with an honest threat assessment...for tropical storms...are you in a coastal flood zone?..in Florida, is your home built to the post Andrew code, with required truss clips?...compare that to the damage component of the Safir-Simpson wind scale for storms...

have a definite hunker down vs. evacuate "failsafe" point...make the decision before the roof leaves... stay for a Cat3, evacuate for Cat 4 or5 etc. ..

timely warning... NOAA weather alert radio with SAME technology... good Doppler radar coverage... alert apps from the TV station...good forecast models from someone like Crown Weather Service... portable digital TV and weather radio

extended family... elderly neighbors or pets you will care for.... any special needs, oxygen, insulin .. medical... have a multi week supply of required meds

communications... have a phone tree with local as well as out of area family included... don't rely on cell towers.. have land line phone not through a portable... if loved ones are in a nursing home, determine your actions

as Chaos mentioned... good cordless drill to make repairs or board up... blue tarp, firring strip to cover roof damage...roof mastic...deck screws (TorX are much easier to use than Phillips) log chain to remove debris... hand or chain saw...appropriate clothing

prepare for extended power outage with possible interruption of water and sewer...water... light...food prep and preservation...

first aid... burn gel and possibly dental for the 24hr you may not be able to reach professional help...expand your kit to your ability

prepare to modify your schedule... if you have solar heated water for a shower, take your shower when you get home... it's a lot cooler outside... etc

creature comforts... a hot shower at day 3 is a morale booster..

Edited by LesSnyder (05/23/13 01:17 PM)

#260869 - 05/23/13 04:45 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
FWIW, I think there are 2 basic scenarios: 1) bug-in, i.e. weather the storm at home without power, communications etc. and 2) bug out--for how long and where are keys in preps for the second option.

In the recent OK events, it was stunning that houses were flattened, while yards away, houses were still standing. In Katrina, the devastation was much more widespread. A matter of yards decided which option you had (after the event was over).

Personally, we have prepped to "bug-in," which we have done for, in one case, 7 days without power. A house with a natural gas generator and fireplace gives more options than can go into a Bug out bag.

If bug out is absolutely required, different priorities are required based on medical issues and so on.

I really think you need to have separate plans for each. There is no one "magic bullet" plan that covers all scenarios.

#260873 - 05/23/13 04:52 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
For every power tool you own, have a hand tool able to back it up. No power means no plug in power tools/battery recharge - unless you have a power inverter for your car.

Tarps, tarps and more tarps. Furring strips, nails, staples, hammer, ladder.

Be ready to lose all the food in the fridge and freezer. To extend the cold - freeze bottles of water. Fill the freezer with them and then DON'T OPEN unless you absolutely have too. Same same the fridge.

Extra propane tanks for the grill, which you may be cooking on.

Mosquito nets, it may be cooler to sleep outdoors if no power and no AC.

Have cash on hand, ATMs/credit card machines may be down.

Beware of fly by night repair guys. If the person is not local, pass.

#260876 - 05/23/13 05:35 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
RedGreen Offline
Stranger

The knowledge (and tools) to shut off & isolate:
-Electric
-Gas (NG/LPG)
-Water

#260878 - 05/23/13 06:30 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm glad you started this thread as I have been thinking along these lines due to recent and ongoing Tornadic events.

Some of my thoughts:
Tornado shelter approximately 15-20ft from the house. Consider this a mini-max.

A shelter large enough to store a case of bottled water, 2 cases of MRE's, all of my camping gear, my family and my immediate neighbors.

A camper able to accomodate my family, stored 10-20 miles from my home.

Because of my personal circumstances, i am looking at an above ground tornado shelter. This would accomodate the above requirements, would be easy to wheel my DD1's wheelchair into, and are fairly cheap. They are made and sold by concrete companies and septic tank companies. They also have a steel lockable door and passive ventilation system.

#260880 - 05/23/13 07:34 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

as JBMat commented...have a non powered backup...in 2004, we were expecting a high Cat 3 storm....I screwed plywood to the 23 windows of my old frame home .. my 12v cordless was not up to the task, and had to fall back on the old school method... for the younger set, that have never seen one of these... they are called "Yankee Screwdrivers" ... these were both made by Stanley... the helical cut rotates the shaft when pushed... an adapter allows use of TorX screws.... be careful, especially if if you have small kids that may handle them...., when the knurled nut is released, the spring loaded shaft flys out... might want to keep a look out at garage sales...they are pretty handy to have

#260884 - 05/23/13 10:48 PM Re: Tornado/ Big storm basics [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In addition to the Yankee screwdriver, which is a very good tool, get hold of a brace and bit, along with assorted screwdriver bits. You will be amazed at the power you can generate to sink even rather large fastenings. I often use mine even when I could use a power tool. You have exquisite control with the brace.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.