The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256326 - 02/08/13 02:48 PM New England Blizzard
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Lots of snow envy among my friends in DC.

I hope all ETSers in the path of this storm are prepared and are not hit by power outages.

Best wishes. Take lots of photos.

Looks like this could be one of Boston's most notable storms in recorded history.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/travelkit/...storm-1B8290274

'Stay Off The Roads:' East Coast residents warned to stay home as storm approaches

#256327 - 02/08/13 04:09 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
One of the big banks (BOA, Citi?) was recommending folks to hit the ATM's in front of the storm due to the likelihood of a power outage and peeps needing cash. If you always pay with plastic, it still makes sense to have cash around as a back-up.

Other than that, top off the fuel tank and hit the grocery store, before the roads get to the point that driving is not an option. Do all that ahead of time and then you can enjoy the snow.

#256328 - 02/08/13 04:26 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Yeah, if this storm isn't all hype it sounds like it's going to be a big one. I live in Iowa, and the most snow I can ever remember getting in one storm was like 16 inches back in like 1994. Getting two or three feet at once (w/high winds) would be pretty epic... or.... just another day in Minnesota. wink

Hopefully everyone stays safe there. They've definately gotten their fair share of bad weather this year.

I visited Boston several years ago, and I loved all the history in that city. I spent a couple of days just walking through the historic areas.

#256337 - 02/08/13 09:28 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've seen predictions for 3'. Which usually means 2'. But still that can shut down a city, if not a whole region.

#256342 - 02/09/13 02:10 AM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Here in Syracuse, NY I was out doing some homework at a national bookstore. It looked fine when I did a casual glance. Then, about 20 minutes later, it was getting really froggy. The trip home (~3 miles) was slippy. My son and I just finished our first assault on the driveway. I'm sure I'll be out there in about two hours for Round 2.

#256347 - 02/09/13 05:44 AM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Any ETSers or your family in the path of this storm, stay safe.

This is the same type of storm that hit in my hometown in 78 (I'm pretty sure some peeps here may also remember that storm). Started as rain, turned to ice and then to snow ... LOTS of snow. Needless to say the combined weight of the ice and snow on the power lines snapped them apart all around. Our subdivision had to be evacuated, the snow was so deep the only way they could do it was to hook up a school bus to be towed in by a HUGE farm tractor. We stayed in town at a local church where they did have power, ate soup and other fare that was provided by the local grocery store owner. After a few days there we were able to get to my aunt and uncle's house in town, where we could shower and have a real meal. A day or so later we were able to return home. A very traumatic and scary time for an 8 year old boy, still have many memories from that time. I believe this is a picture of the county road that we lived off at the time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...elevant_count=1

Need I say again, anyone in the path of this storm stock up and stay safe.

#256348 - 02/09/13 01:02 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It would be great to hear how our Yankee and Canadian Members are doing. I hope everyone is experiencing a good preparation drill only.

#256351 - 02/09/13 03:44 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Mark_F]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just a tad late to be stocking up now. Hopefully readers of this site stocked up before the storm hit and are now having fun in the snow, waiting for the power to come back on, but having a back-up to heat their homes and cook food. Plan B...

#256358 - 02/09/13 08:05 PM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
yee Offline

No big deal here in CT.

I stayed at work overnight. Came home afterwards.

Driveway plowed but snowdrifts are a problem.

No power outage.

One neighbor with some sort of frozen water pipe (I'm a little surprised since it isn't that cold and it has only been cold for a few hours).

Conway Yee

#256370 - 02/10/13 04:02 AM Re: New England Blizzard [Re: Dagny]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Not sure what the official total is here, but I know Portland got 32" and we must be somewhere close to that much (it's not that far away). I didn't lose power at my house...happens to be on the same grid as the local hospital (where I work). Not that big a deal right around here other than the usual digging out, and I know some people had trouble getting into work--I was supposed to be off this week but filled in yesterday and today for someone who lives 45 minutes away and couldn't get in. I have a ten minute walk to get there so would not have felt right about not pitching in. There were a few nurses who stayed overnight in empty patient rooms but all in all things went pretty smoothly. Hope everyone else can say the same! Definitely planning on some good snowshoeing tomorrow after church.

Edited by Jolt (02/10/13 04:03 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.