The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#254550 - 12/11/12 07:21 PM unleaded gas camp stove
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I'm an old guy, and in my youth grew up with gasoline pumps that were marked "ethyl" or "white"... and somewhere in the 70s, during the transition to catalytic converters and away from leaded to unleaded gasoline, I started actively acquiring hurricane supplies...the Coleman single and double mantle lamps, and the double burner camp stove, lights, etc...

fast forward... like my gas powered chainsaw, the pump up lanterns and stoves didn't get put away well, and always needed to be "tweaked" or rebuilt to get them to work... so replaced the Coleman fuel/white gas appliances with propane... #1 and 25# with adapters... gave away the stove (didn't know there was a propane adapter), but still kept a M1950 GI gasoline single burner stove... somewhere along the way the GI stove is now missing.. so bought myself a replacement for Christmas... one of the Coleman multi fuel single burner stoves with a generator designed for unleaded gasoline... Coleman fuel and unleaded gas..seem to have come full circle...

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-1-Burner-S...ulti+fuel+stove

Edited by LesSnyder (12/11/12 08:26 PM)

#254553 - 12/11/12 08:06 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I like the purity of the coleman fuel,AFAIK it never goes bad,cost 8 dollars/gal around here,I store several.I leave my stoves,lanterns filled with fuel,never had a problem with doing that,may be wrong,but has worked here.

I too remember when you could buy white gas at the station,but only at a few.

I bought a Coleman lantern that is unleaded gas certified from the 1940's late (1947?),nickle plated,looks brand new,works like a charm,I love coleman products,esp. the older ones.

Ebay is an excellent source for lanterns,older 2 burner stoves are a dime a dozen at thrift stores.

This is what my lantern looks like,love the thing,such quality.

#254555 - 12/11/12 08:41 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

spuds... my #242C lantern (mfg. Dec 1949)came to Florida with us in 1955... not quite as good cosmetically as yours... lot of neglect on my part...

#254557 - 12/11/12 08:55 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Unleaded gas has too much "environmental" crap added nowadays that they actually produce more of poison when burned in stoves, and if you got the type spiked with ethanol it'll eat all the seal and plastic parts in your stove.

Not worth the saving over coleman fuel or kerosene.

#254558 - 12/11/12 09:34 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: jzmtl]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
...if you got the type spiked with ethanol it'll eat all the seal and plastic parts in your stove...

That's an interesting point. Do new lanterns/stoves now that can use gasoline actually say they are compatible with the newer gasoline/ethanol blends? Otherwise, like you said, certain components are going to fail prematurely unless the manufacturers already use materials that are safe and just haven't bothered to make any specific mention of it in the instructions.

#254559 - 12/11/12 10:02 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
super lamp spuds--
i can't walk away from a $5 Coleman 2 burner at a yard sale so i have a stack in the basement..same with a lamp if i find one but they are not as common.
i get my Coleman fuel when i see it going for around $8 a can and buy four or five cans.i have that much stored away not for anything more than the next camping trip.
i got lucky last summer and got eight of those propane bottles,not the ones for the torch,for $4 and at another sale a Coleman propane lamp NIB,not even the mantles had been used.
next car camp we go on i'll try the lamp and a big one burner propane stove.if i like the way those work i'll invest in a 35 pound tank and a adapator for re-fills.

#254562 - 12/11/12 10:45 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
I was searching ebay for the Coleman lamp and found it in the counter at the Mil Surplus store,think I paid around 45? for it,whatever was a super deal I thought.

Yup,must have 3 camp stoves too,LOL

Hard to beat Coleman.And hard to beat the quality of Coleman fuel IMO too.

I just bought a bunch of accessories for it,mantles,funnel,reflector and got this pour spout,cant wait to try it

#254565 - 12/12/12 04:08 AM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: spuds]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I grew up with the classic Coleman two burner white gas stove and lantern, but I switched my units to propane years ago. I also obtained the adapters so that I can run them off of a 25# tank - much cheaper that way.

#254655 - 12/14/12 04:05 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I know that a lot of people used regular leaded gas in their Coleman stoves back 20 years ago and as best I could tell it worked fine.

My understanding is that the new dual fuel stoves have some brass parts changed to SS but are otherwise virtually identical to the current stove designed around Coleman fuel. I have heard from a number of people that regular unleaded with or without alcohol works fine. I have not tried it personally.

One story I heard was that the main reason for the difference in price between the Coleman fuel version and the dual fuel version is that the duel fuel version costs much more for product liability insurance.

Bob

#254658 - 12/14/12 05:03 PM Re: unleaded gas camp stove [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

ILBob... I fired it up on unleaded just to make sure it worked OK...it is a backup to the propane dual burner camp stove... drained it well and relit it to burn out as much of the fuel as possible...put it back in the box, and hope I'll never have to use it...I bought a kero radiant heater, so have a 5gal supply of #1 on hand for it and the Dietz lamps...hard to find bulk kero where I live...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.