Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#248712 - 07/18/12 03:16 AM how do you make a lot of ice cubes?
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I was out to my local Sam's Club the other day, and noticed they had a 150qt Igloo 7 day ice chest on sale for $70, and it got me thinking....I have a couple of the smaller Coleman 5 day coolers that worked well in 05....a lot of my leftover food is frozen in disposable plastic containers, and I have enough to fill one of the small chests....I know that would be good for at least 4 days if not opened, and possibly longer with all the thermal mass...

I have a 5 cu.ft. chest type freezer, and a 3500w generator (that I would prefer to not run continuous), but after say 3 days of power outage, would like to make ice to augment the coolers....to make the cubes more practical, keep them to the size of a normal refrigerator ice cube tray

my question...what kind of mould would you use to make a lot of ice cubes in the freezer?...they would have to be stacked vertically to make best use of the freezer

baking pans and then crush the ice
zip loc bags laid flat and then crush
small plastic cups
styro egg cartons

your ideas welcomed....

#248718 - 07/18/12 05:08 AM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Les,

To maintain the temperature of food that's already cold you want larger pieces of ice, not cubes. Block ice is preferred.

Even better is refilling disposable soda/water/gatorade bottles with water and freezing them -- just squeeze out about 10% of the water after filling to allow room for expansion as they freeze. Since the melt water is contained within the bottle your food doesn't get wet and the temperature at the bottom of the cooler stays closer to freezing.

Ice cubes are good for rapidly cooling things down, but big chunks of ice are ideal for maintaining temperature.

I also use those rectangular blocks of gel that do the same thing as refilled bottles but are more space efficient. When I'm on an extended car-camping trip I rotate them into my Engel 12V fridge set for freeze mode and can go indefinitely.

Edited by Mark_M (07/18/12 05:10 AM)

#248724 - 07/18/12 08:20 AM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would use standard ice cube trays, they are very cheap from discount stores.
Once the ice is frozen it may be removed from the trays, put in bags or boxes and another batch made.

Note that freezing water into ice requires the removal of considerable heat and the compressor in a domestic freezer will probably run continualy whilst freezing water.
Therefore only attempt to make ice in the freezer when line or generator power is available.
Make certain that the ice cubes are fully frozen, and the freezer is down to the normal temperature before shutting off the generator.

#248728 - 07/18/12 12:08 PM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I'm fond of freezing water (or tea) in rectangular Nalgene water bottles -- especially this 64 oz one below.

http://www.rei.com/product/402058/nalgene-space-saver-bottle-64-fl-oz

Nalgene makes several smaller rectangular bottles, including a 32 oz. I've got several in the freezer right now to throw in the cooler for a weekend trip.

One of the aspects of using water bottles for ice is that we can drink the water (or "iced" tea) when it melts.

#248729 - 07/18/12 12:32 PM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Mark,Adam,Dagny... thanks...I've used frozen 2L and gallon jugs (typically)for hurricane outages, but since retirement, have a lot of left overs, and my concern was that I couldn't get larger solid blocks in the filled cooler....I use one for the non frozen perishables like lunch meats etc...other for solid frozen stores....I'll check out the discount stores, as I typically don't shop there... again thanks,

#248742 - 07/18/12 01:57 PM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
Mark,Adam,Dagny... thanks...I've used frozen 2L and gallon jugs (typically)for hurricane outages, but since retirement, have a lot of left overs, and my concern was that I couldn't get larger solid blocks in the filled cooler....I use one for the non frozen perishables like lunch meats etc...other for solid frozen stores....I'll check out the discount stores, as I typically don't shop there... again thanks,

Hurricane party to eat up the perishables?
Freeze larger containers and use them in the fridge, treating the fridge as cooler/icebox?

I'll be over for the party... eek

Edited by nursemike (07/18/12 01:58 PM)

#248743 - 07/18/12 02:03 PM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: Mark_M]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Les,

To maintain the temperature of food that's already cold you want larger pieces of ice, not cubes. Block ice is preferred.

Even better is refilling disposable soda/water/gatorade bottles with water and freezing them -- just squeeze out about 10% of the water after filling to allow room for expansion as they freeze. Since the melt water is contained within the bottle your food doesn't get wet and the temperature at the bottom of the cooler stays closer to freezing.

I also use plastic bottles but find that Powerade bottles with their thicker plastic and design, better withstand elevation changes from sea level to several thousands of feet in elevation changes and vice versa. The Gatorade type, after some trips, develop leaks after the thin PET plastic expands and contracts from the elevation differences.

Not a worry for most but something to keep in mind for those while traveling in mountainous country.

John Lubbock

#248745 - 07/18/12 03:10 PM Re: how do you make a lot of ice cubes? [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

nursemike... we did that in 05...mini block party with a couple of neighbors....Pasco county , like most of the rest of Florida has a very efficient ice and water distribution plan for hurricanes....I'm just looking to be more self sufficient....since retirement, I've got way too much time on my hands...I'm down your way on occasion to shoot matches at Frank Garcia's range in Frostproof

when I was a kid, Mom and Dad froze water in quart tupperware containers, but we switched to dedicated ice chests as there was less cold air "spillage" with the lift top ice chest as opposed to opening the door..

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.