Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#247424 - 06/25/12 01:22 AM Tornado risk heightened
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I got a FB warning about the potential for tornadoes in the next 72 hours via the EHI (Energy Helicity Index) from a tornado hunter. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550781_438530969510909_2124559174_n.jpg Basically, I live smack dab in the middle of the area that is second level pink or high probablity of violent weather & thunderstorms for Monday/Tuesday.

Then somebody brought up a factoid from the past to remind everyone of the dangers. We are coming up to the 100th aniversary of the Regina Cyclone - a F4 that tore right through the heart of the city in 1912. I can do without the coincidence, thankyou very much. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regina_Cyclone We've already had 10 F0/1 storms go through the province, the next couple of days might be a bit testy.

Time to put Plan 'A' into readiness mode.

#247442 - 06/25/12 08:05 AM Re: Tornado risk heightened [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Be safe!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#247557 - 06/27/12 05:08 AM Re: Tornado risk heightened [Re: bacpacjac]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Well, it seems the worst is over where I live. The storms are weakening into typical thunderstorms. But earlier this evening, there were reports of low end tornados. Kinda glad that it didn't pan out to see more powerful twisters than this but at the same time the anticipation of being able to spot "the big one" was somewhat deflating. Everyone had heightened awareness and most people took precautions and monitored the weather service. We had all kinds of storm chasers running around yesterday and today both Canadian and US based. The several weak tornados and 100kph winds caused plenty of damage though. Weird cloud bottoms! Rotating cloud head.

Powerlines were damaged last night in several areas including some main transmission lines. Some 50,000 people without power including Prince Albert a city of almost 40,000. The ETA for restoration of power is 2 days. Residents are told to conserve water usage because water pumps at the filtration plant and disribution are down. Only one gas station in the entire city has backup power so the lineup for gas was at least a kilometer long. A number of places including the hospital are running on natural gas powered generators. One of the buildings I manage has its own generator but it only powers about 30% of the buildings requirements. In times like this a simple battery backup would only last a couple of hours and a diesel genset would run out after the first day. Telephone service was down in some areas, partly due to power failures and partly due to damaged cell towers.

I work for the power company, so I have first hand knowledge of which lines went down. Several large steel structures on a main line and many more wood poles are broken on secondary lines. It may take 2 days to get power restored; the company has every available lineman doing OT. Saskatoon service centre is now our emergency incident command centre. The grid control centre is busy trying to balance the loads as lines are reconnected but this is leading to brown outs on the system. Surprisingly we didn't suffer major building damage but there was a lot of smashed trees and roof damage. I am holding my breath to find out what has to be repaired tomorrow. I am guessing that there will be a few assessments and repair jobs awaiting me to apply to the buildings I manage.

Sunday night, there were only a few thunderstorms. Monday's storms were in a line about 300kms NW from me and caused a fair bit of damage but today the storm front went right across the province and just missed most of my city. There were about 10 cells that began to weaken at supper time and what was left were thunderstorms with heavy rain, pea and golf ball sized hail and moderatly strong winds. One RV with the family inside were tossed off the road just north of the city. I have to check in with family, it looks like one of the storm cells went right over the family farm. Hopefully the hail missed them?!

Myself and the other building coordinators discussed a number of ideas regarding our own office building should the need had arisen. Staff would have been directed into windowless areas on the top floor and basement or where they could hunker down under furniture -- anyplace away from the perimeter windows! Nobody to use the elvators, use of the stairwells to be discouraged because they also have windows and nobody to exit the building because of the potential for flying debris. I had my at work BOB and vest ready in case I needed them. My vehicle was gassed up and my supplies checked.

Hopefully with all the attention the media gave to this, everyone else took the necessary precautions too and hoppefully no deaths or serious injuries. But we won't know for sure until the reports come out tomorrow.

Jokingly, we recalled the 100th aniversary of the Regina Cyclone coming up on Saturday. We even thought about telling Kevin Costner and his band to stay away since he is playing on Saturday night! If you aren't aware, for some oddball coincidence, violent weather seems to follow Costner whenever he visits Canada. A few years ago, his band was prepping to take stage at a major western jamboree when a plough wind collapsed the stage and killed one person. The year previous he had also been twarted in appearing by a similar storm!

#247575 - 06/27/12 04:05 PM Re: Tornado risk heightened [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I remember those weird clouds. Upside down pot of boiling tar. That's what I saw the night of the Edmonton F4 tornado in '87. Yikes.

Hope your family didn't get nailed too hard.

#247961 - 07/04/12 04:28 AM Re: Tornado risk heightened [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Another day, and yet more tornadoes. So far none have hit populated areas. But we've paid the price with power outages with up to 200k people without power for multiple days. This last couple of weeks have been chaotic.

They shot off the fireworks early on Canada Day then just after that Mother Nature decidedly showed them up!
http://tornadohunter.ca/display/ShowImag...N=1341211229354
http://tornadohunter.ca/display/ShowImag...N=1341211110802

Earlier in the week:
http://tornadohunter.ca/display/ShowImag...N=1340784802952
http://tornadohunter.ca/display/ShowImag...N=1340721583228

And just south of the border into Montana:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/389152_403661016336392_495797589_n.jpg

#247969 - 07/04/12 01:57 PM Re: Tornado risk heightened [Re: Roarmeister]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
much farther south... seems like we had a greater number of small tornadoes with the passing of TS Debby off our west coast...probably due to the ability of the number of Doppler radar in the area to spot them...their warning ability is outstanding, to the point of telling you to the street they are approaching... most had a converging wind speed of around 100mph

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 358 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.