Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234823 - 10/31/11 02:53 PM 'Leave behind' tools and lights
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another story got me to thinking about the tools we lend -- esp. in emergencies. There are my tools and then the ones that I'll hand to a stranger --Sharps, lights, even pens -- why my kit has spares.

Original post about storms, groceries and lights

#234832 - 10/31/11 03:30 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: TeacherRO]
Frisket Offline
Addict

The dollar store the dollar store the dollar store. Cant say it enough. My Local dollar store I can obtain everything I need to live minus clothing. While not top notch quality It works and its cheap. I can easily buy a screwdriver with multiple bits, Cans of food, Jugs of water, Flashlights, Batteries, Candles, Cooking and eating supplies such as forks plates pots pans, Cleaning supplies, hygiene supplies the list just goes on all for 1$ each. I wouldn't feel wonderful about giving someone a 1$ flashlight to trust on but then again i would feel better Im not loosing a 40$ flashlight if they take it.

#234833 - 10/31/11 03:38 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: TeacherRO]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
As a general rule, I don't loan out tools. I'll use my tools to help people as I see fit, but I won't loan out tools.

With that said, I do often give certain items away. For example, I keep bic lighters in all my jackets, and sometimes I give them away.

I also have a stock of inexpensive knives that I often give away. A favorite of mine for this, is the Case mini-blackhorn. Great little lockback knife, made in the USA, and they sell for under $10.

#234834 - 10/31/11 03:42 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: Paul810]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Paul810
As a general rule, I don't loan out tools. I'll use my tools to help people as I see fit, but I won't loan out tools.

With that said, I do often give certain items away. For example, I keep bic lighters in all my jackets, and sometimes I give them away.

I also have a stock of inexpensive knives that I often give away. A favorite of mine for this, is the Case mini-blackhorn. Great little lockback knife, made in the USA, and they sell for under $10.

Spur of the moment Sadly made me pass out mine. Hopefully Ill Get my lights back today.

#234846 - 10/31/11 05:27 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: TeacherRO]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I loan out flashlights frequently when out on calls for Red Cross (fires, power out - folks have to find their car keys, prescriptions, clothing etc). I always get them back (#wood_knock)

I also loan out a lot of bandanas / handkerchiefs, to folks who just lost everything in fires, and sometimes a loved one. I don't ever expect those to come back to me.

Kindness during disasters endures, but so do ugly and rude - prepare to be generous, at least with small things.

#234851 - 10/31/11 06:50 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: Frisket]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Frisket
The dollar store the dollar store the dollar store. Cant say it enough. My Local dollar store I can obtain everything I need to live minus clothing. While not top notch quality It works and its cheap. ....

I get a lot of my non-critical (pots, can openers, etc) gear at drug stores like CVS and Walgreens. They're also good places to get loaner items. Just a word to the wise about lending out sharps. Anybody who doesn't regularly carry a knife is going to have problems working without a countertop to put their work on. Almost invariably, the poor schlub I lent my SAK to will nick themselves within 15 minutes. Don't lend out anything bigger then a "Stanley" knife, or better yet, give them scissors.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#234862 - 10/31/11 09:21 PM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: Mark_R]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Almost invariably, the poor schlub I lent my SAK to will nick themselves within 15 minutes.

The comment I get is usually, "OW! Hey, this is SHARP!"

#234871 - 11/01/11 12:02 AM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Lono

Kindness during disasters endures, but so do ugly and rude - prepare to be generous, at least with small things.

Nicely said, Lono!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#234873 - 11/01/11 12:05 AM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Dollar stores and second-hand stores are great places to stock up on loaner/give-away/and redundant stuff. You might even find a gem while you're there!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#235074 - 11/04/11 02:40 AM Re: 'Leave behind' tools and lights [Re: TeacherRO]
jenks Offline

Hi Jac:

We had a very similar discussion in my thread titled "helping your neighbors".
Glad to see this come up again!

Also it reminds me that I have a flat of baby food to give away it expires...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.