The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#216203 - 02/01/11 10:28 PM Poop, meet fan: Australia
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
In case you've been wanting to see what a "Western" society looks like under actual SHTF conditions, look no further than the current situation in Australia. Bold emphasis mine.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/01/us-australia-cyclone-idUSTRE70U16S20110201

"Outside a shuttered night market in the tourist city of Cairns, nervous backpackers tried to flag down cars and reach temporary evacuation centers at a nearby university.

"We are terrified. We have had almost no information and have never seen storms like this," said Marlim Flagar, 20, from Sweden.

At a sprawling shopping center on the outskirts of Cairns, hundreds of people streamed into a makeshift shelter, carrying backpacks, blankets and food.

"We've bought tinned food and cucumbers. That's all we could find this morning," said Natalie Zerbach, on holiday from Germany.

The cyclone is 650 km off the coast of northeastern Australia and is expected to make landfall at 10 pm (7 a.m. EST) on the Queensland coast between Cairns and Innisfail. Its strength is on a par with Hurricane Katrina, which devastated New Orleans in 2005.

More than 400,000 people live in the cyclone's expected path, which includes the cities of Cairns, Townsville and Mackay. The entire stretch is popular with tourists and includes Australia's Great Barrier Reef."

#216210 - 02/01/11 11:13 PM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, I wonder if those are the same backpackers Sonnekinder ran in to?!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=75853

The local authorities didn't spread word of the impending doom to tourists so they didn't know why everyone was freaking out! It pays to always have an ear on the local news when you are traveling.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#216215 - 02/01/11 11:35 PM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

"We've bought tinned food and cucumbers. That's all we could find this morning," said Natalie Zerbach, on holiday from Germany.

Yes, horrifying and heartbreaking that they are downed to canned food and fruit. How can anyone live life without the bare minimum of a fresh arugula salad, grain-fed, free-range beefsteaks seared and served medium-rare, baked potatoes with sour creme and chives, a competent burgundy to wash it down, followed by a sorbet and an after dinner coffee?

#216225 - 02/02/11 12:32 AM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, it's hard to know if they were really being snarky or whiny. They may have just been reporting the facts as they were.

Being in a foreign country and suddenly being faced with a Cat5 storm would frankly put my 05H!T-o-meter pretty close to redline.

#216242 - 02/02/11 03:25 AM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sorry. I couldn't resist the snark.

Being on vacation would make anyone a little more sensitive to hardships and disruptions. But, it has to be noted, based on the the descriptions, it was disruptive, but well short of an actual survival situation.

I do get a little annoyed by the tendency of every inconvenience, insult and disruption to be capitalized on, magnified, reveled in, and dramatized to sound like an epic.

#216245 - 02/02/11 03:52 AM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
True, it's not an actual survival situation -- yet.

But I'd really hate to be travelling and suddenly discover a Cat5 barreling down on me. This in an area that's just barely out of massive flooding. And most of my preps would be halfway around the world. That's more than an inconvenience IMHO.

More on the coming storm:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Aust...4581/story.html

Our Aussie friends just can't catch a break this year.

Edited by dougwalkabout (02/02/11 03:52 AM)

#216256 - 02/02/11 11:08 AM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I read tonite that overcrowded shelters are turning people away in droves- and authorities aren't sure if the shelters will even survive. I'd say that $hit is getting real, really fast.

#216257 - 02/02/11 11:14 AM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: Blast]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Blast
Wow, I wonder if those are the same backpackers Sonnekinder ran in to?!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=75853

The local authorities didn't spread word of the impending doom to tourists so they didn't know why everyone was freaking out! It pays to always have an ear on the local news when you are traveling.

-Blast

Agreed. I have thought about this scenario a lot, as I travel three states. An issue comes up occasionally where severe weather (tornados) are forecasted or are occurring. The NWS usually refers to the counties and tiny towns for tornado activity updates. Being a traveller, I don't always know what tiny towns or counties are surrounding me. I don't want to trust my life to a hotel clerk who is in the laundry room folding sheets, so I now carry state maps in my overnight bag for emergency reference. I also have a little water and long shelf life food and other essential gear in my trunk

#216261 - 02/02/11 02:08 PM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

"....most powerful in the country's history...."

Cat 5 -- sounds well worth worrying about. Best wishes to everyone in its path.

#216262 - 02/02/11 02:12 PM Re: Poop, meet fan: Australia [Re: MartinFocazio]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.