The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#209494 - 10/11/10 07:16 PM Best field knife sharpener
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
During and after woodcrafting, cleaning game, batoning wood, etcetera, the outdoor blade needs to be sharpened in the field to stay most useful.

Diamond file? Whetstone[s]? Angled ceramic rods?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (10/11/10 07:16 PM)

#209497 - 10/11/10 07:38 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
Warren Offline
Stranger

I like the Sterling sharpener. Small and quick.
www.sterlingsharpener.com.

Warren

#209498 - 10/11/10 07:48 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: Warren]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
For field use, I carry a Diamond Mini-Sharp Sharpener Fine Grit

I really prefer to use "extra fine" grit for most regular sharpening, but the "fine" grit is good in case you also need to repair some damage.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#209500 - 10/11/10 08:10 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Depending on what kit I have with me, I use a small thumbed sized whetstone that is now about 20 years old. I also have a newer whetstone which is a little bigger, however I don't really care for for it...and for no real reason expect that I probably prefer the old stone better.

In the event I forget to take the whetstone, almost any smooth surfaced rock (river rock is best) will work perfectly fine to sufficiently touch up any blade.

John Lubbock

#209505 - 10/11/10 08:44 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I can no longer find it in the Gerber catalog, but I carry a sharpener, pointed at one end (the proverbial sharpened pry bar) which has both fine and medium grits. It also works wonderfully well as a versatile fossil excavation tool.

There are oodles of fairly light rods that will sharpen quite nicely. I prefer diamond grits.

#209507 - 10/11/10 09:01 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I used to carry a Shrade 'hone-steel'. It is a chisel shaped hunk of fairly soft abrasive-impregnated high-nickel steel. Its a bit more aggressive than most kitchen steels. You use it every few minutes when doing heavy cutting to maintain an edge. If you have ever seen a real butcher work you notice that they are always honing the edge between cuts. A honed edge cuts better and if you use a steel frequently there is far less need for actual sharpening. Eventually the steel can't move enough metal to get a fine edge so it need some sharpening.

If I was homesteading or blazing my way through the woods, and was constantly using my main knife, I would feel justified in carrying a steel, perhaps even a small stone, just in case, but my camping and hiking is all short term now and the knife just doesn't get much use before I'm back home where I have a complete rig, actually several, to take care of the blade properly.

I may cut a branch for a walking stick or a pole to hold up the end off a tarp. I may chop up some wild onions and cut some light line to make a clothesline but these are occasional tasks. But it isn't enough wear to worry about.

I've typically got a three blades. A main, usually a folder now, a smaller folder for fine work. And a very sharp spare, sometimes even a scalpel blade or two, in my medical kit. There just isn't a lot of call to do a lot of sharpening.

#209510 - 10/11/10 09:35 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: thseng]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: thseng
For field use, I carry a Diamond Mini-Sharp Sharpener Fine Grit

I really prefer to use "extra fine" grit for most regular sharpening, but the "fine" grit is good in case you also need to repair some damage.

I concur, DMT diamond stones are excellent. Perfect for a quick touch up and they work well with even the hardest of modern blade steels.

I prefer this model though:

http://theconsumerlink.com/DIAMONDMACHININGTECHNOLOGY/detail/TCL+FWFC/110

It's a bit bigger than the keychain size model, but it's faster to use and you get both a course and fine edge.

#209515 - 10/11/10 11:03 PM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: Paul810]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: Paul810
I concur, DMT diamond stones are excellent. Perfect for a quick touch up and they work well with even the hardest of modern blade steels.

I prefer this model though:

http://theconsumerlink.com/DIAMONDMACHININGTECHNOLOGY/detail/TCL+FWFC/110

It's a bit bigger than the keychain size model, but it's faster to use and you get both a course and fine edge.

I have this model. I needed a training session (Youtube) for proper technique, but it's worth it. It's less expensive here:

http://www.amazon.com/DMT-FWFC-Double-Di...mp;sr=8-2-spell

#209523 - 10/12/10 01:09 AM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I use a Single-Cut round chainsaw file for my Axes,Kuhkri& Machete's.Carborundum & Hard Arkansas,Strop for my Knives.Works for me!

#209582 - 10/13/10 06:54 AM Re: Best field knife sharpener [Re: dweste]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
For small kits/short trips, couple of 1/4-sheets wet-dry sandpaper in different grits work well for my convex-edge fixed-blades. Light and take up little space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.