Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#182018 - 09/12/09 03:38 AM What you've done right -- toot your own horn
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Post some of the stuff you've done to prep/ learn/ communicate lately.

Me? Stored 7 gals of water.

#182020 - 09/12/09 03:47 AM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: TeacherRO]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I stuck 30 cans of tuna in my basement among other supplies.

#182022 - 09/12/09 05:29 AM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: Todd W]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I started buying a few gallons of water and some canned foods every paycheck. I have 14 gallons and 10 cans of Chunky soup so far and will be picking up another 6 or so gallons tomorrow, along with some more food, a gallon of bleach, and an eyedropper.

I also bought a set of risers for my bed to give me room to store my bug-in stuff underneath my bed.

I'm getting a silnylon tarp for the BOB, along with a few other things. And I just re-packed the BOB too, to make it a little more orderly. And bought 2 more Mainstay 2400 rations to go with the one 3600 I had (need to get some 1200's, I know).

#182025 - 09/12/09 06:08 AM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I've been going to he gym regularly, getting into some intense workouts again. I guess it does more for my preparedness than just stockpiling supplies.

#182044 - 09/12/09 07:20 PM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: Tom_L]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I've done quite a bit since I first showed up here in August.

But the single thing I am the most happy with is a telescoping ladder that I can use to get down from my bedroom balcony if I'm cut off from the front door. (The design of the balcony rail precludes a "standard" fire escape ladder.)

#182056 - 09/12/09 11:22 PM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: Compugeek]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My home was not defensible or capable of being very self-sustaining due to homeowner association rules and local ordinances, without investments beyond my means. I am glad I have moved onto a modest sailboat which at least gives me "home base" mobility.

Beyond that, I continue taking outdoor and wilderness skills courses, have assisted teaching the basics at some, and next week have my CERT application meeting. And, of course, learn and share with my ETS friends!

Edited by dweste (09/12/09 11:30 PM)

#182077 - 09/13/09 03:10 AM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: dweste]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
A little off track but.....

Yesterday during a community project two workers were involved in an accident. One guy was using those big scissor-type hedge clippers to clear some heavy grass from around a grave marker. Another guy was clearing the cuttings away. YUP!! You guessed it. Two objects tried to break the laws of physics and occupy the same place at the same time. The guy clearing was clipped rathr severely at the base of his middle finger. He was bleeding rather heavily. It was pretty deep. As soon as I saw it I ran to my car and opened my FAK. I grabbed a 12-ply 4x4 and some tape. I met him and the other guy at the car. I doubled the dressing and taped it on. The hospital was only 3-4 minutes away. They took off. I looked on the ground and there was a good-sized puddle of blood. That was not a little cut! I thought I did good. Not exactly getting prepared as being prepared and acting on it.

In hindsight I realize I need to have gloves more readily available. I think I will use someone's example of having one quart ziplock quick-FAKs. I need to get on that.

#182085 - 09/13/09 10:34 AM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: MoBOB]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Everyone knows about first-aid, then there is self-aid...

I worked on my self-aid skills, uh umm, unintentionally....

I found DD walking one of our German Shepherd Dogs. Seems a neighbor's dog got away from the leash and decided to come charging at DD. Our GSD took offense,( she saw the other dog as a threat to DD ) and was in the beginning process of dismantling the offending dog. I drove around the corner about 1.5 seconds before the dance began, and dove in to stop the festivities.

This is the second time in 12 years I have had to do it. I really hope there isn't a third.

Treating bite wounds from accidentally coming between the bite-er and the bite-ee is a little more difficult than I expected. DD was a trouper, until she saw the blood. The she was a hinderance.

Luckily I know both dogs, so no issues there.

Coban tape and 4x4's are your friend when working on yourself.

RIP OBG

#182088 - 09/13/09 01:07 PM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: TeacherRO]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Switched my car FAK from a super boo boo kit with some trauma mixed in to two more organized containers. I kept the boo boo kit in the original box & expanded the trauma stuff into its own box.

#182092 - 09/13/09 01:48 PM Re: What you've done right -- toot your own horn [Re: MoBOB]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ditto on the quart ziploc bags, put a mask and gloves in each.

What have I done? Just routine stuff that everyone should do:
* Stockpiling food that we eat -- rotating to use the older stuff and replacing with new. Only two weeks of water though.
* Regular trips to the gym three/four times a week. Cardio, core and strength training.
* No mortgage on either my home or the house I'm building. As far as I can tell I'm debt free except for the credit card I pay off each month. Truck's paid for too.
* I keep various kits at home and in the truck: winter kit (warm clothes and such), GHB, et al. Big FAK is in the truck along with extra 4x4's and a buttload of 14"x17" white towels I got at Costco cheap. Not sterile, but they've never been used and they're big.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 435 Guests and 189 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.