The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179349 - 08/14/09 07:27 PM Vehicle roof racks
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dagney mentioned roof racks in her Lifepod post. I pass a lot of them on the road, and most of them don't look very useful. They look like they could hold a couple of suitcases, but not much more. And it appears that the cargo sits directly on the roof of the vehicle and the rack is nothing more than a fence that you could attach a strap to. I would think that this would limit their usefulness.

Are there some decent, sturdy racks out there, maybe with their own metal mesh rack affixed to the frame that would hold a useful amount of weight?

Any good tips on types or brands?

#179362 - 08/14/09 08:29 PM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
The best of the best is Thule. Been there done that. I have one of their soft luggage cases that I have had for 5 years. It gets regular use and not one bit of trouble yet.

RIP OBG

#179390 - 08/15/09 12:47 AM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: Desperado]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Thule..i put one on my car and it hauls everything from my canoe to the Xmas tree.it stays on year round-

#179402 - 08/15/09 03:04 AM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Roof racks on cars are great. They secure things outside the vehicle so they don't become flying missiles if you ever get into a crash. Much safer than putting unsecured luggage on your back seat.

On SUVs and Trucks though, I was always a little leery of roof mounted cargo carriers. SUVs already tend to have a pretty high center of gravity. I don't really want to be putting a lot of weight up high unless I absolutely have to. For those vehicle, I prefer the cargo carriers that secure to the hitch, low on the vehicle.

One thing to keep in mind is the GVWR/GCWR your vehicle is rated for. Most passenger cars and even a lot of unibody SUVs aren't rated to carry very much weight. A full load of passengers alone can actually put some vehicles overweight before you even start adding stuff in the trunk or on the roof. One must ensure that they are not overloading their vehicle, both for legal and for safety reasons.

For example, my Envoy is rated for a 6,000lb GVWR. The truck itself weighs 4900lbs as it sits. That means, I can't exceed 1,100lbs between passengers, cargo, and the weight on the trailer hitch.

That may sound like a lot, but if I have five passengers at 180lbs a piece, I'm already carrying 900lbs. That only leaves me 200lbs that I can divide between the trunk area, a roof mounted cargo carrier, and a hitch mounted cargo carrier or trailer tongue weight.

That's not a lot at all and we're talking about a vehicle that is built on a truck chassis with the heaviest duty components offered for a vehicle of that size. A car is going to be significantly less.

#179407 - 08/15/09 03:41 AM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: Paul810]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have found that the weight distribution and mounting points on most roof racks pretty much make it useful for carrying your lunch. I do know the purpose-built ones are great, like the ones mentioned above. If you look at the load rating on most of them they are pretty conservative. Back in 1986 I took the biggest carrier Sears offered, approx 6'x3'x15", and actually bolted it to the roof of my Aerostar. I used nine 1/2" or 5/8" bolts with 2" washers sandwiching the sheet metal. I didn't trust the screws that came with the carrier. That allowed me to load it up well beyond the 75 lbs the manufacturer recommended. I did this for my move to Alaska when I was in the Air Force. I needed baby supplies, a place for the rifles, dog food and sundry other items. Later I used the bolts to mount a dual antenna rack for a CB. Well I've taken up too much of your time. I'll stop.

#179417 - 08/15/09 10:05 AM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: MoBOB]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Unfortunately for those of us that venture off-road the hitch mounted carriers are usually a non-starter. They knock your departure angle down to something similar to my wife's minivan. wink

I've seen folks chain them to trees and leave them in camp but securing anything on them remains problematic. A truck box bolted to one of the hitch mounted carriers is about as secure a solution as I have seen.

#179457 - 08/15/09 06:46 PM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: 7point82]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: 7point82
Unfortunately for those of us that venture off-road the hitch mounted carriers are usually a non-starter. They knock your departure angle down to something similar to my wife's minivan. wink

I believe a few companies also make models that are mounted up higher on the vehicle (roughly between a regular hitch mounted rack and a roof mounted rack in height) to increase departure angle, while still not being as top-heavy as a roof-mounted rack. Instead of having a big box to deal with right at hitch level, it's only a square steel bar. It's probably the equivalent of leaving a hitch mounted winch on.

I will say I haven't needed to secure very much outside my vehicle since 1995 when we bought a 2500 Suburban. If the Envoy can't carry it, the Suburban usually can, with room to spare. That thing is great. grin

#179460 - 08/15/09 07:33 PM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: Paul810]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I have a Yakima Loadwarrior roof basket that sits on the Honda roof rack (Thule or Yakima would be better choices for the rack).

Also have a Yakima bag designed to fit in that space. Have mostly used it for bulky lightweight items, such as sleeping bags.

There is another consideration: others who have measured mpg carefully find that on the Element, the empty Loadwarrior basket will cost gas as it reduces mileage by 2 mpg.

The Loadwarrior is popular with Element owners because it's among the, if not the, lightest roof basket.

Attachments
Roof rack.JPG

#179707 - 08/19/09 12:05 AM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: Dagny]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A roof rack is useful for bulky, light stuff - sleeping bags, etc.
Pack them in waterproof bags and strap a tarp over that.

#179791 - 08/19/09 10:18 PM Re: Vehicle roof racks [Re: TeacherRO]
utspoolup Offline

Roof racks a love hate thing for me. I Installed a Thule MOAB on our Tuscan. Wind noise has gone up just a hair... but with the average factory stereo, it will easily overpower the little noise it adds. IT does make the car top heavy. But for a family in a entry level SUV, it makes camping ALOT EASIER, and for the average family camper I think they are perfect. For fathers day I was able to place 6 Wiggys bags, 1 sping bar family camper 7 tent (poles and stakes were in the vehicle, it was just the canvas up there... the middle greenish bag in the photos below), 3 camp matress, Coleman 2 burner stove, A Coleman 8-D cell and a northstar propane lanterns, 30" bowsaw, A handpump for the mataress, Spring bar footprint ground cloth canvas thing, a pair of welcome mats to "wipe yer feet" before getting in the tent, GSI Basecamper large cookware set with GSI 10" skillet, 14cup perculator, and a few other little things all up in the MOAB. I had to weigh each bag prior to loading. The factory bars are rated to 165lbs. The rack weights 28, I had 152 lbs including the rack and hardware up there prior to heading out.

But having this stuff up there made for a deal of room in the vehicle for a 5gallon bucket for girl potty time, the cooler, 2 5gallon USGI water cans, food, and other things the girls brought. Without this rack I would have had to follow in my car.

The hate part.... When on, even when empty, you lose 2-3 MPG. When it rains, you better have planned waterproofing before. If it is raining and you have to pack you are screwed... had to load as much into the car as I could, drive home, off load the family, off load the equipment into the garage, drive back up there, tear down the rest of camp and head home... WET. Fathers day camp out was cut short almost 24 hours due to a down pour. After the first 5 hours, the girls wanted out of the wilderness. Hence I found out how bad this sucks to do when raining cats and dogs.

If going the route of a rack, I recommend the elastic spider web net retianer deal. Plus a few packs of bungees from Walmart. Also be sure to get the locks for the basket and bars if needed. Overall I like the rack. More so that Backcountry.com had it for $150 less than anywhere I could find... PLUS they shipped from the warehouse to their store for free, then let me pick it up, they have a customer for life. Due to the size of the box, UPS wanted a $99 freight charge for resident delivery.

I am about to pick up a FJ and will be equipping it with a bajarack that is rated to 300 lbs for SHTF, roof tent possibilites, and just because. The rack for the FJ rack is reviewed here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/ba...ack-review.html

As for our current...

and loaded pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.