Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#160032 - 12/26/08 09:20 PM Books or other material for deep south?
truckergut Offline
Stranger

Loc: Lake Charles, LA
Merry Christmas everybody, I have a small request here.

I lurk and read around here a whole lot, and I love the advice and links you post, but I find that there's tons of information on cold weather and desert survival, but not so much on survival in the pine forests/swampland areas of the deep south I do most of my activities in. Does anybody have any favorites or must-reads of this type to recommend?

Thanks,
Truckergut

#160080 - 12/27/08 12:58 AM Re: Books or other material for deep south? [Re: truckergut]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
survival in the pine forests/swampland areas of the deep south I do most of my activities in. Does anybody have any favorites or must-reads of this type to recommend?

My two blogs! grin

If you can track down the Survivorman Season 1 DVD he spends a week in the LA swamp. Lots of good information in that episode.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#160112 - 12/27/08 04:18 AM Re: Books or other material for deep south? [Re: Blast]
truckergut Offline
Stranger

Loc: Lake Charles, LA
Thanks guys.

I'll look for that book on amazon, Izzy. La and Fl are quite similar, except you get the pre-delta side of the gulf stream for your beaches. So I imagine the info on the flora and fauna to be pretty accurate.

Blast, your blogs are a given, and I've spread word to the few other enthusiasts I know. You can look forward to the dubious pleasure of my company on one of your info-hikes this next summer, if all goes well.

If y'all can come up with any more specifics, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Truckergut

#160119 - 12/27/08 04:52 AM Re: Books or other material for deep south? [Re: truckergut]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the kind words for my blogs! As for other resources, some good books are:
Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest by Delena Tull.
Beacomber's Guide to Gulf Coast Marine Life (covers Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, & Texas)
Animal Tracks of Texas by Sheldon & Hartson

You might also track down information on Caddo Indians. They lived across Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas. There's a number of books about them available, but I haven't look at any and can't recommend a particular one.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#160121 - 12/27/08 04:59 AM Re: Books or other material for deep south? [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Neat website about the lives/techniques of Caddo Native Americans:
http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/kids/caddo/index.html

-Blast

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.