Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155481 - 11/17/08 03:43 PM Cheap Gasoline storage?
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
With gas prices so low, I'm thinking now is the time to store a little extra gasoline. We had a gas shortage here in Asheville a few weeks ago(due to hurricane related supply interuptions) that lasted over a week, and in any case having some extra fuel around seems like a great idea.

However I can't afford an expensive storage tank, and I'm wondering if there is a cheap or free alternative to those 5 gallon red gas containers. Does anyone know if there are some types of plastic containers(i.e. empty laundry detergent or bleach bottles, or foodservice bulk oil containers) that can safely store gasoline? I know that some types of plastic are broken down by gasoline over time, but since gas cans are made out of plastic as well, I'm thinking there must be some kinds that would work. I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

Of course I will use plenty of Sta-bil and store these in a garage away from any sparks or electricity, so no safety speaches are necessary.

#155487 - 11/17/08 04:16 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: ]
MichaelJ Offline

Does anyone here know the "shelf-life" of gasoline stored in those red plastic containers? I was told that gasoline breaks down after a while.

#155493 - 11/17/08 04:56 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MichaelJ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
With Sta-Bil added, you're good for at least six months, and perhaps as long as a year. I can attest to the six months.

#155501 - 11/17/08 05:16 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Stretch]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I am a little reluctant to put year-old gas (even if stabilized) into a high performance vehicle engine. Anyone else feel that way? Of course, in an emergency situation, I wouldn't hesitate.

I have also recently stocked up and filled 4 - 5gal plastic containers and have them stored in the garage.

#155504 - 11/17/08 05:34 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Stretch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
On it's own, without any additives, most gasoline will last 90 days, depending on the weather. Gasoline is formulated for different regions and different times of the year, and so holding over winter gas into the summer may be problematic. One of the advantages of manufacturing gasoline as they do is the limited shelf life, preventing people from "hording" a cheap supply in anticipation of prices going up and/or supply becoming limited. Gasoline is a hodge-podge of distillates, quite volatile and subject to continuous chemical interaction. Each component also has a weak molecular bond, making it easily decomposible by heat, ionization, depressurization, contamination, etc.

Alcohol would be far better for storage, but internal combustion systems don't seem to like it so much.

Sooner or later, we are all going to need a Mr. Fusion converter.

#155506 - 11/17/08 05:38 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: ]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Those 6 gallon plastic gas containers are already designed for risk mitigation - enough gas to blow up, but probably burn no more than you and your garage. Also 6 gallons is about the top you can expect to hike up a road to a waiting car. If you need to economize, buy the $4.95 containers at Walmart, but watch for leaks eventually. Metal Type II containers provide an element of additional safety, both from sparks and combustion as well as longer term wear.

I recommend thinking different about gasoline before you store it: ask yourself, how much can I *safely* store where I'm at? I think any decision to store your gasoline indoors in your garage says that you have done the risk calculus and can accept the loss of that structure in a disaster, and you can live with an increased risk to you and your family of fire meantime. This gets more serious in attached versus detached garages, and the further away from fire reponse you live. Can you really store additional gas this way? There are local codes and regulations on how much you can actually store, but even in homes its a bad idea to store more than what you actually need and use in a *typical* season, feeding your lawn mower, chain saw etc. The best recommendation I've heard is a dedicated storage unit, with lots of air circulation, away from your house, garage or other structures. We don't always have such a thing, but sometimes we do - I ended up building a nice hut on a concrete pad that once housed a dog run, away from our house specifically for gas and other combustibles, such as excess paint and chemicals. I label the hut appropriately in case the fire dept has to approach it. By next summer I hope to expand on the pad and install a sheltered generator, although it may be exposed to crushing by falling trees so I have to ponder that some more. Meantime I think metal gas cans are a good long-term investment, and provide an important element of safety wherever you store your gasoline -keep an eye out for gas cans at yard and estate sales. I have two (empty) 10 gallon gas cans that are at least 40 years old and still bright and shiny on the inside - they wait for me to apply a new seal to make them whole again. I'm happy with my more modern Type II 5 gallon cans for long term storage though, and don't actually have room to safely store 2x10 more gallons even if I wanted it.

#155544 - 11/17/08 11:27 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
snoman Offline

The city I live in allows two 5-gallon gas cans max. You need to check your local codes, and remember, if the worst case happens and your insurance finds you had more than that, they may refuse to honor your claim. That could be an expensive mistake.
To my mind, using an old detergent bottle is just asking for trouble. Just MHO.

#155545 - 11/17/08 11:28 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
I have gas in my boat that is 2 years old. (just not enough time to use it) I took it out and it ran excellent. I use Stabil and Star Brite Star Tron. I keep 100 gallons on hand between the 6 gallon cans and the boat and I have never had a problem. I rotate the cans so that they are never more than a year old. Generator runs great and I've never had a problem when I've used it in my truck.

#155550 - 11/18/08 01:37 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: learnmore]
sodak Offline
Addict

I have a 5 gallon and 2.5 gallon can that I store gas in for my lawnmower. I usually take them to the gas station every 3 years or so, my mower ran fine (finally seized up after 21 years).

Fortunately, I just filled them a couple of months ago, so I'll put them in my truck. I wouldn't put 3 year old gas in anything but a lawnmower....

#155553 - 11/18/08 02:14 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: sodak]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I strongly agree with the cautions raised by previous posts. Gasoline storage containers are not a place to cut costs.

I've seen massive expansion (in heat) where the containers were puffed out like a balloon. I've also seen massive contraction (in cold) where the sides were sucked in to an alarming degree.

Approved containers withstood this abuse without a problem. I would not trust anything else. There are enough hazards in life without creating an impromptu fuel-air explosive in the garage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.