Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#155086 - 11/13/08 01:12 AM ? on water storage...
snoman Offline

I just picked up another 55-gallon barrel to add to the two I already have. I figured I'd better check and see how the first two were doing, since it's been almost two years since I filled them. They both looked clear and smelled fine (though I didn't taste them). I think I used a bottle (or half a bottle) of 'stabilized oxygen' in each one, though lately I've read a few articles saying the stuff isn't as good as some say. I'd rather not dump them out and refill them every few months unless I have to. So, that's my question...
Will water 'go bad' if stored like this? Will it still be viable as drinking water? I'm pretty sure it will taste flat and maybe like the plastic it's stored in, but at least I'll have some on-hand.
The water will be run through a 'Big Berkey' filter if I use it. The one I bought has four black elements and the post filters (I bought the post filters to remove fluoride from my tap water).
I remember reading something where the writer said it's possible to aerate water by shaking it in a half-filled container. That might make it taste better. Any better ideas??

#155094 - 11/13/08 03:14 AM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: ]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I read somewhere that if you pour water that has been stored like this back and forth between two containers a few times to re-aerate it, the "flat" taste is reduced.

#155098 - 11/13/08 05:55 AM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: snoman]
Jakam
Unregistered

How are you removing it from the 55 gal- if a siphon or pump, into a smaller container, it will probably self aearate, right?

I'm not sure you would need to re-filter it.

I have been told, and read data to support it, that you should use a 2% solution of stabilized sodium dioxide, 1 ounce per 30 gallons, which will allow for long term storage (claims are made of 5 years).
That, of course, depends on the container and it's level of cleanliness prior to filling.

I know the aerobic stabilized oxygen you mention is another much touted alternative, but it is some form of sodium chlorite or dioxide that is used in most municipal water, right?

#155123 - 11/13/08 04:26 PM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Wow. Great question and ongoing thread. This is something I have considered lately.

I have a very small scale program with 6 gallon jerry cans for water and every six months fill up one of my five gallon water bottles for drinking so it doesn't go sour then just refill the jerry can.

#155131 - 11/13/08 05:07 PM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: comms]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
If you use a pump to transfer the the water out of the 55 Gal drum, and let it spray into the next cantainer that should help the flat taste. As I understand it if you use the water filter system it should take the plastic taste out amd because the water drips from the filter into the bottom tank that should put air into the water.

#155164 - 11/13/08 10:28 PM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: snoman]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: snoman
Will water 'go bad' if stored like this? Will it still be viable as drinking water?

If your plan is to run the water through your Berkey anyway, I wouldn't worry about the safety of the water (these are food grade water barrels, I assume, right?). Yes, the water may pick up the taste of plastic or certain gasses can diffuse through the plastic when stored for very long periods, but that's a palatbility issue.

Actually, I suppose that palatibility can also be a real problem. When you (or maybe your family, like children) are stressed and overworked during/after some disaster, "funny" tasting water can lead to drinking less than what you need and lead to dehydration, possibly heat injuries, or at least unnecessary fatigue.

Besides the aeration idea, keeping powder drink mixes handy is another idea.

#155167 - 11/13/08 11:27 PM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: ]
snoman Offline

I have two plastic barrel pumps to get it out of the 55s. If they're down, I could siphon it into other containers. So far, I've got three 55s, two 15s and four 5s. I bought the smaller sizes in case I have to move them. I really just wanted to have water on hand, just in case 'the flow' stopped. I was thinking of water for drinking, food (re-hydrating the freeze dried stuff) and cleaning/washing/rinsing. I even thought of fire, but I have no way of getting the water on the fire and figured the little I have wouldn't last long anyway.
I've looked into trapping rain water too, from a modified down spout. Obviously, it won't be as clean as water from the tap, but it'll be good for flushing a toilet or doing some laundry, though I could run it through the filter.
I need to get another one.
Good idea about the bubblers. I'm also looking into picking up some packets of drink mixes, something along the line of instant tea, Tang or Kool-Aid, to help hide the taste of the water if it does taste strange.
I have no idea what stabilized oxygen is, though it seems to have worked for me (Granted, this is all tap water anyway, which is pretty clean to begin with). I was told put something in the water to kill whatever nasties are in it, and keep it out of the light.

- Dave

#155192 - 11/14/08 04:52 AM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: snoman]
Jakam
Unregistered

I have 6 30 gallon and 6 6 gallon, plus 35 gallons in the Roadtrek (small motor home). So a total of 160 gallons of treated tap water, plus 2 cases of small bottled water and 12 gallons of bottled water in gallon containers. This is my "standard" reserve.

I also use a hose designed for water, not just the garden hose, and sometimes, the pre-filter like you would buy at an RV store to use when you're on shore power/water.

To treat the tap water, I use the stuff I buy at the RV store, the sodium dioxide mentioned above. I have had the RV water sit for >6 months and it's still palatable, the action of pulling it from the tank to the tap/shower probably aerates it some.

I got the 30 gallon (Baytec Containers, on line, free shipping) so they could be easily moved by dolly, or even rolled on edge. I use a plastic siphon (also baytec) to move the water from the 30 to the 6 gallon (as I empty them) so it can be easily carried into the house. Plus I believe it re-aerates the water as it is transfered.

Even though the sodium dioxide makers state the water can be stored for 5 years, I usually change it every 6 months or so. But I'm careful where it's poured since the sodium dioxide is a corrosive, though slight.

#155197 - 11/14/08 06:16 AM Re: ? on water storage... [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's just my opinion, but I wouldn't buy an aquarium bubbler for my water supply at a yard sale. But maybe that's just me.

Sue

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.