Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#145914 - 08/25/08 10:43 PM 12v Lighting
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Has anyone installed 12v or 24v lighting in their house?

I have been looking into recessed lighting for our new house and want to get some but also add 12v recessed lighting as well.

Why? If someone's in the crawl space might as well add them, cost is in the labor to get them out doing the job, the lights are cheap and install QUICK. (I may even install them all).

Also, at night if we don't have power I'd like to turn-off the generator and still be able to switch on some lights to see smile

I also figure if we run the backup generator most of the time there will be plenty of extra power (even at half speed / idle) to charge a bank of 12v batteries, and rather than convert them back to 120 might as well take full benefit of the 12v (or 24v not 100% sure which way to go yet).

So, I know they make 12v CFLs and am curious if anyone has any they prefer? I know like normal CFL there must be good and bad ones out there.

-Todd

#145922 - 08/25/08 11:52 PM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I would look for 12-volt LED lights (or make them by gutting flashlights) rather then CFL. LEDs use even less electricity then CFLs. If your objective is to reduce power consumption, LEDs will do it more then CFL will.

But they will also give less light. TNSTAAFL

It’s hard to find 12-volt flashlight heads (the LEDs themselves) but quite common to find 6-volt flashlight heads. These could be used with a cell phone 12-volt cigarette lighter charger. Most cell phones run on 5.2 volts, this is perfect for 6’volt LEDs. As all chargers are just a bit over-ranged in voltage.

You can find these chargers at garage sales all the time for $1.00 I have lots of them I have bought and save for projects.

I gutted a table lamp and turned it into a 6-volt battery powered light. I also made it so it runs off a wall charger (an old cell phone charger) and a 12-volt cigarette charger. Here is the thread of the project, it explains some about how it was done.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=11482&Number=139520#Post139520

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#145925 - 08/26/08 12:05 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

If you do this, make sure you lay in a supply of extra lights so you can replace them if they burn out.

#145930 - 08/26/08 12:39 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: BobS]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

CFL or LED it doesn't matter as long as I can see.

The point isn't to reduce energy the point is to run with no generator or city power when the power goes out directly off my battery bank w/no inverter needed.

This way, I don't need an inverter... EVER. Generator for big stuff, batteries for lights.

I want to use standard fixtures wire them for 12v, and use the correct bulbs, so thus my question/search for quality 12v CFL or Leds, etc smile
-Todd

#145931 - 08/26/08 12:40 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Also need to investigate 24v vs 12v and GOOD batteries to use smile I`m pretty sure 2 or 3 12v car-size batteries would be enough for lights from dark to morning w/occasional usage smile

#145951 - 08/26/08 01:57 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Todd, that's on my to-do list. I've accumulated the bits and pieces (PV panels, batteries, charge controller, and 30 Luxeon 1 LEDs) but haven't had time to put it all together.

Strongly recommend you check out http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=cb1ab5f4b1cef75db894f137417ba4ce&f=89 . Go back a year or more. There are people who have done it, with photos and descriptions in detail.

#145956 - 08/26/08 02:25 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Also need to investigate 24v vs 12v and GOOD batteries to use smile I`m pretty sure 2 or 3 12v car-size batteries would be enough for lights from dark to morning w/occasional usage smile

I would go with 2 6-volt golf cart batteries, they can handle being drained of power, normal car batteries can’t.

Also I would keep any lead acid battery outside as they give off explosive gas when charged. If you are going to put them inside use gel-cells or AGM batteries. They don’t give off gas. But they really need a charge controller as they can’t handle being over charged.

#145961 - 08/26/08 03:42 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: BobS]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Wow, thanks I didn't know CPF had a "Fixed Fixtures" forum! Awesome!

Bos- I don't think 6v golf cart batteries would last more than a year or two? Do you know?

And as far as storage... I`m thinking the basement which is not finished and gets decent air flow.

-Todd

#145967 - 08/26/08 04:49 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: Todd W]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Take a look here for lots of good info on batteries.

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

As far as batteries go Golf cart batteries come out on top for power delivered. But they are heavy and large. I would not store them in a basement, charging lead acid batteries generates hydrogen gas (can you say Hindenburg?)

They make special caps that greatly reduce this venting, but hydrogen is some nasty stuff to have floating around in your home so I would not trust them. Do you have a gas or propane water heater? If so it’s even more dangerous to have batteries in a basement.

AGM batteries are the best for use if you are going to store them inside your home, but they are expensive and have to have a special charger (expensive) made for them so you don’t over charge them or charge them at too high of an amperage.

#145976 - 08/26/08 11:17 AM Re: 12v Lighting [Re: BobS]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thats basically the route I'm going, switch as much gear to 12v as I can so I eleiminate extra wiring and complexity and have the ability to use it while traveling.

There are plenty of automotive lights tht work just fine and can be bought cheaply in parts stores, junk yards, catlogs, etc and then you can swap the bulbs for led's if you want.

There are whole catalogs such as http://www.truck-lite.com/wcsstore/tl/splash.html (napa stores can order those in for you)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.