The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#136257 - 06/16/08 04:40 PM Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I want you all to take a look at this image, which I grabbed from the CNN.com home page a few moments ago:

That is a cop, with his finger on the trigger of what appears to be a Glock pistol, and that gun is pointed at an individual in the red and white vehicle.

Notice also the cop at the left, with an extended spring-whip baton. Behind them all, notice the soldier, in cammo.

I don't know what led up to this moment, I do know that the headline and article indicate that people are attempting to return to flooded locations, and are being denied access.

If any one image has reiterated the need to ensure that you have what you NEED and what you WANT ready to go quickly, this is it.

I long ago packed my long-term stuff in airport style rolling cases, right next to my fire safe. I store all critical documents mirrored on to EXTERNAL hard drives so that's all I need to grab on the way out the door, if needed.

If we were told to go, any time of the day, 24/7, we could, in 10 minutes or less and as much as I'd miss my house, we'd have what we need to get by.

#136260 - 06/16/08 04:47 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: MartinFocazio]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
First, good for you.

Second, what system should be in place to deal with the situation where you are away from home when the emergency occurs and you are denied access back to your home?

#136261 - 06/16/08 04:49 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow, talk about a 1,000 words!

Time to check our BOB's to make sure DD1&2's emergency clothes still fit. They outgrow stuff so fast.

Thank's for the very intense reminder.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#136264 - 06/16/08 05:08 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Notice also the cop at the left, with an extended spring-whip baton. Behind them all, notice the soldier, in camo.

Don't forget the last officer, on the driver's side. Looks like Samuel L. Jackson. I wouldn't want to mess with Samuel L. Jackson with a gun pointed at my head either.

All kidding aside, that's a tough situation--both for the authorities trying to keep people safe and minimize looting, and for the people desperate to get to their homes and businesses to salvage stuff, take care of pets, etc.

Since flooding is such a common disaster, I keep telling myself that I need to make sure to pick a bank on high ground if I'm going to put important documents in a safety deposit box. I still may not be able to get into the bank for a while, but at least the contents will be high and dry. Then again, if the entire area is flood prone...

#136270 - 06/16/08 05:32 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
There are so many things wrong with that picture (tactics wise) that I just don't know where to start...

#136272 - 06/16/08 05:34 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Wow. Crazy.

#136280 - 06/16/08 05:52 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: Nicodemus]
Angel Offline

Keep in mind that this is from CNN. Don't be too quick to judge the cops. Unless I see what the person in the truck is doing, i'll give the cops the benefit of the doubt. It is possible the driver of the truck is upset and making threats. Who knows. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but they may be the wrong words. Tomorrow you may see a picture of the driver of the truck with a gun pointed at the cop and it will be a totally different headline.Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see.

#136282 - 06/16/08 05:59 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: Angel]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I think my point is that you never know what wil happen at a checkpoint. I staffed a checkpoint when we had floods, and had a guy drive straight at me and another firefighter when we refused to let him pass. He was arrested, and I pressed charges and he did a short amount of time for it. It's best to just stay the hell away.

#136284 - 06/16/08 06:10 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: Angel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Rule number somethingorother...Do Not Stand In Front Of A Vehicle. 'Specially if the driver is mad, upset, drunk, crazy, etc...

#136287 - 06/16/08 06:13 PM Re: Why You Need A Fast Mobilization Plan [Re: OldBaldGuy]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
There is a bit more to it;
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/06/16/iowa.floods/index.html
Quote:
After being denied re-entry to a flooded neighborhood, Rick Blazek, 53, returned to his vehicle as a state trooper used his police vehicle to block the checkpoint, according to the news release.

"Blazek drove his vehicle toward the state trooper and struck the state trooper three times with his vehicle," the release said.

Police told Blazek to get out of his vehicle, and when he refused, "the driver's window was broken out because the doors were locked and Blazek was removed from his vehicle," according to the release.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.