Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#131657 - 04/30/08 08:30 PM Used/Rotated Long-Term Food
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
So we had split-pea soup w/ham and potatoes the other day and that made me and the wife think about using the ingredients as part of our long-term / rotated food. (Food that we use that has a decent shelf life of 2-3 years. Not 'dried' or 5+yr long-term food that never gets eaten until it's "needed".)

1/2 bag of your average size bag of peas made enough soup for me to have 2 bowls for dinner, 1 for lunch the next day, and 2 total for the wife. That's 5 BIG bowls of potatoes, peas, and ham.. still remaining 1/2bag of peas. We used canned potatoes to see how they tasted too.

The reason I purchased the potatoes in the first place was to add carbs to our long-term / rotated meals to go with the VERY HIGH protein TUNA(another item we long-term store/rotate)

Well, the split-peas and the potatoes make for a HIGH carb. meal, and can store for 2-3+ years so rotating them over time is no problem not to mention the low-cost of them.

Add a few cans of spam to replace the fresh ham and you can make it taste a little different... add some TUNA (maybe?) and you have a HIGH protein and CARB meal.

Sorry if I rambled smile
-Todd

#131658 - 04/30/08 08:31 PM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Todd W]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Oh, and I guess it should be said that you can easily make split-pea soup with a big pot or your average cooking pots`n`pans over a nice fire, bbq, etc. Not to mention the potatoes are precooked and you can eat spam seperate w/no cooking too. So 2/3 of the ingredients can be eaten w/no cooking smile

#131668 - 04/30/08 09:55 PM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Todd W]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It sounds like you've a good plan going.

I rotated all of my stored/bottled water today!

#131670 - 04/30/08 10:07 PM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: wildman800]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wildman800
It sounds like you've a good plan going.

I rotated all of my stored/bottled water today!

Hoping others find it useful too smile

For bottled water I user 5g jugs for my hot cereal in the AM for instant-hot and always keep 3 of those on-hand, and also we use 1G .89/g Crystal Guiser (sp?) from Winco for the rest of our drinking water. We go through roughly 6 gallons a week between the two of us (for good/drinking) and always have approx. 20g 1g jugs, and the 3 spare 5g jugs in the garage. We live within walking distance to the Sacramento River (well Folsom Lake & the Outlet[Lake Natomas]) so we are lucky enough to be by running water smile

-Todd

#131728 - 05/01/08 04:42 AM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Todd W]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hi Todd,

I'm down the river from you living in Midtown Sac. I just moved here about a month ago. Could you post the recipe for the soup you were discussing? I think I have all the ingredients in my food storage minus the SPAM. I've always been about half scared of the SPAM stuff but hey...it would indeed be a good protein source that would take the redundancy out of my tuna stock.

On another topic: Are you out of the flood plain up there near the lake? From the city flood planning maps I've seen I'm a bit too close to the water line down here If the American river levee breaks on downtown. I think I'll need a kayak to get out the city in that circumstance.

Cheers,
Nemo.

#131729 - 05/01/08 06:39 AM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Loganenator]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Hi Todd,

I'm down the river from you living in Midtown Sac. I just moved here about a month ago. Could you post the recipe for the soup you were discussing? I think I have all the ingredients in my food storage minus the SPAM. I've always been about half scared of the SPAM stuff but hey...it would indeed be a good protein source that would take the redundancy out of my tuna stock.

On another topic: Are you out of the flood plain up there near the lake? From the city flood planning maps I've seen I'm a bit too close to the water line down here If the American river levee breaks on downtown. I think I'll need a kayak to get out the city in that circumstance.

Cheers,
Nemo.

When the dam broke in the past the house was not flooded but a 2 minute walk and you could see the rushing water ~250ft down the cliff. You wont find me living on the other side of Folsom in the "flood zone" that's for sure. We are actually planning to move up the hill more, Diamond Springs maybe someplace we can be more 'off the grid' w/some land.

I`ll get that recipe to you tomorrow AM or evening.

Another thing to substitute the spam could be bacon you get at costco already cooked that doesn't require freezing.. if they still sell that. I haven't looked at the protein levels of bacon or spam so they both may be to low to justify their usage for that reason.

#131820 - 05/02/08 01:00 AM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Loganenator]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Nemo
Hi Todd,

Cheers,
Nemo.

Split-Peats (Flavorite from Winco), Salt, Pepper, Water, Slow Cooker, and then any meat you want to add.. spam, ham,bacon, etc. That was it.

#131894 - 05/02/08 07:32 PM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Todd W]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Thanks Todd.

I'll give it a whirl smile

Cheers,
Nemo

Edited by Nemo (05/02/08 07:32 PM)

#131949 - 05/03/08 04:00 PM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Todd W]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Your potatoes last for 2-3 years? Mine don't keep for more than a couple of months before they grow eyes and shrivel, or go rotten. What am I doing wrong?

#131982 - 05/04/08 02:19 AM Re: Used/Rotated Long-Term Food [Re: Brangdon]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Your potatoes last for 2-3 years? Mine don't keep for more than a couple of months before they grow eyes and shrivel, or go rotten. What am I doing wrong?

I think you missed the word canned wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.