Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#114421 - 12/01/07 07:02 PM The Treasures of Simple Living
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Interesting website , learned a couple of things from it today....

A Family's Search for a Simpler and More Meaningful Life in the Middle of a Forest.

Our future was set out for us: full-time jobs, mortgage payments for the next 20 years, and retirement at 65. Our children would go to school and we would see them as much as our busy schedules allowed. But such a future held no attraction for us. So we packed up, left it all behind and drove into the unknown.

Our journey took us beyond the electric lines, telephone, paved roads and television. We built our own house, grew salads year-round in a solar greenhouse, and taught our children at home, all in the midst of a forest where the nearest neighbors are wild animals, and the snow gets four feet deep.

The inconveniences were soon forgotten in the joys of living under our own roof, watching our children blossom, and discovering abilities we never knew we had. The simplicity took away economic pressures and gave us time to search for life’s deeper meanings.

PART I explains why we left the city, how we solved the problem of earning a living and what we went through once we bought a piece of land in the middle of a forest.

PART II tells about the treasures we found in our simple life, and why our experiment paid us back a thousand-fold.

PART III describes common obstacles to creating a new lifestyle closer to nature, and some important skills that helped us along the way.

#114474 - 12/02/07 02:16 AM Re: The Treasures of Simple Living [Re: ]
Brandon Offline
Stranger

Loc: Arizona
I don't think a tofu diet, and chewable vitamins would really give you a true outdoor experiance.

#114480 - 12/02/07 03:30 AM Re: The Treasures of Simple Living [Re: Brandon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Maybe not; but personal, hands-on experiments like this are never a waste, regardless of the outcome. The nuts and bolts of "how we lived" really translate into "what does it mean to live fully and well." That's an eternal question, and we all endeavour to answer it as best as we can. For that reason, I'm happy to read such accounts, even though I may roll my eyes on occasion.

#114488 - 12/02/07 04:26 AM Re: The Treasures of Simple Living [Re: Brandon]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Jesus
I don't think a tofu diet, and chewable vitamins would really give you a true outdoor experiance.

I don't judge what people eat...be it for moral or religious reasons and these reasons do not take away from their outdoor experience and accomplishments.

As for vitamins, I am sure that many past explorers, sailors etc would of had a better outdoors experience if they had access to vitamin C which would of saved them from dying from scurvy

#114496 - 12/02/07 07:34 AM Re: The Treasures of Simple Living [Re: ]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the link. Always something to be learned from others hard earned experiences.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.