Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#106698 - 09/23/07 04:08 AM You've got LOTS of room to store food!
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Have you ever opened up an interior wall? Do you know what that space in there is called? "Shelf space"

You have lots of space for groceries inside your inner walls. Most wall studs are made of 2x4s. If you removed the wall surface and replaced it with panelling (probably on a frame or solid sheet -- I'm not a carpenter), with hinges on the inside of one edge and an invisible spring-activated latch on the other. Just push it with your palm and a panel opens, showing you the studs, which you've carefully spaced to make more shelves.

Standard 2x4s are 3.5" wide. Regular vegetable cans are almost 3" in diameter. You could stack cans from floor to ceiling and it would be easily accessible for rotating. An area covered by one sheet of panel-covered plywood would provide about 24 linear feet of storage space if your 'shelves' were 14" apart. If you stacked the cans, you'd have room for maybe three times that, or approximately 285 cans of food. That's not a bad start, is it?

What if you had two panels?

Sue

#106723 - 09/23/07 12:51 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Susan]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
That would be great! Now just have to convince DW to consider that!

#106730 - 09/23/07 03:01 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Susan]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Great idea, Susan,

I'd like to add a couple of thoughts to that, having learned a few lessons on doing this from my friend's father.

If you're going to do this, only use interior non-insulated walls. You don't want to lessen the house's efficiency, and you don't want your goods exposed to constant fluctuation of outside temperature, especially in extreme parts of the seasons.

As Susan mentioned, stack cans by date vertically instead of horizontally, keeping similarly dated items in a column rather than a row. This will keep you from having to constantly go to the bottom of a stack for items that will expire sooner.

Try to keep the same items in the same column as much as possible. That way, should you want a can of corn for instance, you don't have to unstack a column of pinto beans to get to it, only to have to restack the beans when you've gotten what you wanted. This will also help when it comes time to resupply because visually it's easy to keep track of.

You can easily make shelves between the wall studs to save some of the hassle that will come no matter how hard you tried to stick to the two ideas above. Most studs are 16" apart from center.

Be careful while stacking and removing cans. While it may not matter that one side of the wall has a hole in it that you're utilizing, a hole in the other side of the wall might be an eyesore in the living room.

As badly as most houses are regarding transferring noises from one room to the next, you're making it worse by removing the materials between rooms. In other words, don't stack food in the walls behind your bed if you and your SO tend to make a lot of noise in the sack.

If this is to be a hidden cache, hide the items well, but don't make them so hard to get to that you don't rotate your stock consistently. Behind the hutch behind paneling screwed into the wall studs is a great hiding place, but it's a pain in the backside to get to.

Remember where your caches are. I learned that my friend's father learned about storing items in the walls from his father after my bud's grandfather died. While helping to fix up the house for sale, we found a 20 year old canned ham and several cans of SPAM behind a piece of sheet-rock in the master bedroom's closet. We were toying with the idea of letting some future resident find the potted meats, but decided not for reasons of health.

#106744 - 09/23/07 05:32 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Introduce her to the idea by asking if she'd like a dedicated pantry for canned foods.

#106747 - 09/23/07 06:07 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: UTAlumnus]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
You can also fix the in the wall can storage so new goes on top, old comes from the bottom. A can holder can be built that will allow you to see the cans for inventory, and easily remove the bottom can from the stack.

#106750 - 09/23/07 06:14 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Stu]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you decide on this form of storage be careful on the way the doors latch. In an earthquake those columns of cans will be falling over. Even if the doors hold, be careful when you open it after a good shake. I'd look into building shelving between the 2x4 studs. Put a lip on the lower edge of each shelf to keep the cans in place.

#106755 - 09/23/07 08:26 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Russ]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Also consider the following.....I use to live in NYC. Up there the studs were 2x4's. Down here in FL, they do a lot of building with steel studs. I know they have benefits but I still have great difficulty 'nailing' into them. It's a PITA to try to 'anchor' into them when going through the dryway...before you go opening up your drywall, make sure you have wood studs... I know I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with steel studs.

#106781 - 09/24/07 02:36 AM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You are always thinking, aren't you??? Interesting idea, won't work in an RV tho...

#106785 - 09/24/07 03:14 AM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...won't work in an RV tho... "

Haven't you ever seen that old Lucille Ball movie The Long, Long Trailer?

Sue

#106955 - 09/25/07 01:42 PM Re: You've got LOTS of room to store food! [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup, altho I have never been a real fan of Lucy, my mom used to watch her...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 409 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.