Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#95765 - 05/27/07 03:37 PM Do you drink water that had been stored for months
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Many people on this forum actually treated water with bleach to prepare the water for long term storage.

For example, after 6 months or 1 year in storage, what do you do with the water ?

Do you dispose of the water and repeat the cycle again.

Does anyone actually drink water that is 6 months / 1 years old ?

Any things we should do before drinking such aged water ?

#95766 - 05/27/07 04:09 PM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: firefly99]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
We all drink bottled water, don't we? And who knows how old that is...

Or are you specifically worried about the bleach?

#95780 - 05/27/07 09:25 PM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: JIM]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Technically speaking every drop of water we have ever drank or will ever drink has been around since the beginning of life on this planet or shortly there after it's just been through the cycle of rain and evaperation thru out the time. wich means your drinking water thats thousands of years old so why worry about a few months

#95786 - 05/28/07 12:51 AM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: JIM]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Like the rest of people, I would not consume anything that is past the expiry date. Normally, I will just dispose off the expired items.

Is it safe to consume food/water that has expired ?
Why people hesitate to consume expired stuff ?
Does the water in storage expire after sometime ?

From browsing survival preparedness websites, I am getting the impression that if people stored water for a pre defined period, then they will dispose the stored water at the end of the period and replaced it with fresh treated water.

I do have a mental block about the bleach. Is there any health risk drinking bleach treated water on a prolong basis, example after an incident such as Katrina.

raydarkhorse,
You are right, water has been around since beinning of time on this planet. Nature has the resources to store, filter & purify water.

My concern is the water stored by people like us within our home may be subjected to incorrect dosage of bleach, too little or too much, water container not properly sealed, etc. Besides, the water in storage is dead, it is not flowing anywhere. Unlike in nature, where it may flow past layers of filtering materials or go through the evaporation / rain cycle.

So, I am asking do you actually drink the water that you stored.

What do you think ?

Edited by firefly99 (05/28/07 01:11 AM)

#95789 - 05/28/07 01:47 AM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for mo [Re: firefly99]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
So long as you can stand the smell, unscented bleach is no more hazardous to you than chlorinated tap water if you didn't go overboard. If you just can't swallow with the stink, let it air out over night or add something with some vitamin C or some make tea/coffee out of it.

I store my water is OJ cartons in the freezer, or three jerry cans, one of which gets refilled every other week (6 weeks max storage time) so I'm not so worried about expiration dates.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#95792 - 05/28/07 02:39 AM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: firefly99]
alvacado Offline

Loc: South Texas
Yes.

Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm

#95795 - 05/28/07 03:17 AM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for mo [Re: firefly99]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Normally don't drink it, I just dump it down the bathtub drain. It's not that I'm fearful of drinking it, it's just easier to dump it and refill.
If I where going to drink it I would probably transfer the water to a clear container, and check the storage container for any growing "stuff". If you can still smell the bleach and the water is clear then it's "probably" OK.

This thread reminded me that I had some water in the basement that I needed to rotate. I found a couple of Reliance Aqua-Tainer 7 gallon jugs that I had filled in March of 2003. I drug them upstairs and proceeded to check them out. This water had been treated with 8-10 drops of bleach per gallon. As I mentioned earlier they had been stored in the basement, out of sunlight and at a pretty constant temperature of about 74 to 76 degrees.
I removed the lid and sniffed the container, a slight bleach smell could still be detected. I took a powerful flashlight and shined the water. Looked crystal clear. Nothing growing on the sides of the container. Good so far.
Poured a glass full and took a little swig. Couldn't taste the bleach but it did have just a very slight plastic taste. I was kinda surprised at how good it tasted.
Now, I'm not going to drink this water, but in an emergency I wouldn't be too concerned about drinking it.
By the way, these containers were the older Aqua-Tainers that had the threaded vent cap. I don't know if it makes a difference or not. I wish Reliance hadn't changed the vent on the new ones. The new style Aqua-Tainers have a tapered push-in plug that's about the size of a pencil eraser.
Some of my Aqua-Tainers are close to 10 years old and I've had zero problems with them.

smitty

#95799 - 05/28/07 05:09 AM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for mo [Re: smitty]
kharrell Offline
Typical Survival Victim

I filled (2) 48 gallon plastic drums with water today.

I purchased these from Coke $10 each.

I treated each with 1/4 cup bleach (6%).

IF NEEDED, I will siphon water out into a bucket, pour back and forth into second bucket to "mix air into water", then send though a activated carbon filter and drink.

If the tap water still works when I move out, I will empty without drinking.

This will supply my family of 5 drinking water for 3 weeks without the Tap.

#95850 - 05/28/07 07:15 PM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: firefly99]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
I buy 5 liter bottles of mineral water.
I have about 12 such bottles in my cellar.
When I have drunk 2 ou 3 bottles, I replace them.
I recently (last month) started to stock bleached tap water, using the 5 liter empties, to have an extra stock on hand, if need arises. Clutter considerations will limit this stock to another 12 bottles.
I intend to rotate this bleached water every 6 months/1 year (not sure which, yet).I won't drink it except to test if it's still OK, but will use it to flush the toilet (I don't want to waste water)

#95912 - 05/29/07 01:33 PM Re: Do you drink water that had been stored for months [Re: firefly99]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I dump it out on the lawn. I live in a desert though. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.