Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89589 - 03/27/07 04:59 AM 72 hr supplies- questions
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Hi guys
So I have several questions as I make a 72 hour bag, and hoping you can answer. First off, I bought a fairly large school-type backpack to store supplies in. I do have a very nice internal frame pack, but I want to keep that for backpacking; I figure I can switch suppies over if needed.

Anyway, on to the topic:

1) DR says to avoid milk-carton water containers (flimsy, tops pop off, organic material if using milk containers). I'm wondering, since they have 1 gal. containers of water with screw tops, is this advice still 'valid?' I only ask because 2 of these containers nicely fit into my bag.

2) Any suggestions on a flashlight? I've got a 3D Maglite in my truck, a Surefire in my desk, and a minimag in my backpacking supplies. Should I even bother with keeping a light in my supplies then? Or just batteries for one of these?

3) Food. I've got a few cans of stuff, but am thinking that prepacked rations are a smarter idea, weight wise. Any reason why MREs, Backpacker Pantry, or 'survival rations' are better/worse than one of the other choices? I've eaten 15 year old MREs so I know they've got a hell of a shelf life...

Thanks in advance

#89594 - 03/27/07 05:52 AM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

just off the top of my head i would say get big Nalgene
jars for water..i have a quart size one that i fill up
with "canoe country" water and bring home with me for sips
over the winter and it's never got a "off"taste..
flashlight--how about a LED headlamp..working hands free
makes a lot of things easy..puting up a tent--cooking--
sorting gear..
food..for 72 hours i would use MRE's with some freeze-dryed
camping meals tossed in to use when you have water to spare.
but 72 hours is nothing..you could eat zip top cans of beans
and fruit cocktail..i think the SOS bars are for people who
see themselfs holding up in a cave for weeks..

#89595 - 03/27/07 05:58 AM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
How many people are stocking for, and is this pack just going to be a gear store or is plan B a left foot and a right foot?

Not being familiar with the bottles in question, I can't commend on their robustness. What I would say is buy them sealed and keep them that way. They were pasturized at the factory, breaking seal = messing with that.

Surefires are good if you need a lot of light, but thier battery consumption means you might want a different light for your first choice, but by all means have this around. If you are going to use a Minimag, look at one of the LED conversions. I've found myself liking the Gerber Infinity a lot- size of a shot shell, 20+ hours of light on one AA.

As for food... I wouldn't have touched a 15 year old MRE. Hello, biowar tests. :P

MREs are good because they are ready to go, but super heavy. Dehydrates need prep time and water, but are small and light. I like a mix of the two. A lot of this stuff can be had in the grocery store.

Cans are just heavy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89606 - 03/27/07 12:26 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: ironraven]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ironraven
How many people are stocking for, and is this pack just going to be a gear store or is plan B a left foot and a right foot?

Not being familiar with the bottles in question, I can't commend on their robustness. What I would say is buy them sealed and keep them that way. They were pasturized at the factory, breaking seal = messing with that.

Surefires are good if you need a lot of light, but thier battery consumption means you might want a different light for your first choice, but by all means have this around. If you are going to use a Minimag, look at one of the LED conversions. I've found myself liking the Gerber Infinity a lot- size of a shot shell, 20+ hours of light on one AA.

As for food... I wouldn't have touched a 15 year old MRE. Hello, biowar tests. :P

MREs are good because they are ready to go, but super heavy. Dehydrates need prep time and water, but are small and light. I like a mix of the two. A lot of this stuff can be had in the grocery store.

Cans are just heavy.

Packing for myself. I've got a small duffle FAK in my car, and a small PSK in my camp equipment. Both can be carried with the backpack. One thing I realized: having grown up in CA, I'm going about this with an "earthquake" mentality. But, I'm living in the Midwest now and for at least the next 2 years. I'm sure that's an issue.

Yeah, the MREs were a bit on the ripe side. To be fair, however, only one really caused any upset stomach.

I've got about 10 batteries for the Surefire. I was thinking of a LED AA minimag, but I've heard conflicting reports on durability. Also, apparently they don't dim, they just go out. I'm thinking of just using my camping headlight in the bag, and pulling it out as needed for camping. But I'll see if I can find a Gerber. If it's cheap enough, I'll spring for it.

#89607 - 03/27/07 01:16 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
"1) DR says to avoid milk-carton water containers (flimsy, tops pop off, organic material if using milk containers). I'm wondering, since they have 1 gal. containers of water with screw tops, is this advice still 'valid?' I only ask because 2 of these containers nicely fit into my bag. "

I agree with DR. FWIW, I avoid using those plastic water containers for any kind of water storage, now, having proven to myself over and over that they break down and leak VERY easily, messing up everything they soak into. If I'm going to use store-bought water jugs, in the car for example, they rest in either a plastic bucket of some sort.

Our BOBs have a mix of ready to eat, dehydrated, and MRE stuff. Cans of Vienna sausages, MRE crackers, MRE entrees, cans of fruit - that sort of stuff...

#89620 - 03/27/07 04:09 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
stealthedc Offline

Loc: Durham NC
1. 1 gal milk containers (even if packaged with water) should be avoided. They are not durable and will leak. I have first hand experience with this as do many people.

2. Many people on this board love flashlights, as do I. Do you EDC some sort of light? I have a flashlight in every type of kit I have (less the FAK) and would recommend the same. At the very least, extra light could not hurt if you need it or someone else does.

3. I like MREs and lifeboat rations. I have the rations in my bobs because I like the weight to bulk to calories thing and the fact that they are sopposedly non-thirst provoking.

#89628 - 03/27/07 05:34 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: stealthedc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't really EDC a flashlight, but I do have an Inova micro light in my backpack (I use an Altoids gum tin for a few things, in case I get the urge for a dayhike). There's a small AAA minimag in my FAK in the car, as well as a 3Dmaglight with the LED upgrade. I was wondering if it's best to get another maglight/LED. But, I'm thinking of getting a Fenix, since they sound interesting.

Sounds like the 1gal milk/water isn't a good idea. I do have 1 gallon sitting in a cupboard in the garage, but I think I'll hit the store and try to get a few 1/2 gal. water containers. Nalgene, at this point, is a bit beyond my price range (though I have 3, and don't want to treat water if I can avoid it).

#89631 - 03/27/07 06:44 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Nalgene is spendy..a half gallon lab grade bottle is about
$20 but it will never break and they seal air tight..if you
do buy any for long term survival use i would avoid the
small bottles from the camping stores and get the big ones
from the lab supply houses..

#89657 - 03/28/07 01:23 AM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
For Nalgenes, hit eBay. The polycarb labware is the same stuff as the hiker's gear, just not as pretty. And you can find lots of custom one quarts that have errors in the printing dirt cheap- they might not be as spiffy, but when it's real world, who cares?

Stealth mentioned lifeboat rations. They work, but I might suggest adding a bottle of appetite suppressants to your pack if you do. They aren't filling, and when people are hungry, the can get grumpy and make decisions based on that.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#89684 - 03/28/07 01:47 PM Re: 72 hr supplies- questions [Re: MDinana]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Everyone has already given you the important info, I'll address a side issue: variety. I prefer to use several kinds of rations with the ratios between them depending on what I'm embarking upon.

A few MRE's, a few dehydrated, a few freeze dried, a VERY few C rations (beef stew, chicken & dumplings, etc), some D rations (chocolate bars, hard candy, etc), some prepared and unprepared foods (hard boiled eggs, baked biscuits, raw bacon, etc.), and K rations (coffee, seasonings, hot chocolate mix, tea, etc.)

I usually reserve:
The prepared stuff and K rations for breakfasts.

The MRE's or freeze dried for lunches.

C rations or dehydrated, and K rations for Suppers.

D rations are used throughout the day as you feel the need to
maintain energy levels, especially in cold weather.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.