The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#281019 - 06/08/16 02:32 PM Evacuating DC... You need a plan
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm surprised Dagny hasn't posted this one already.
If DC had to evacuate, would you know what to do? Homeland Security says you need a plan
Quote:
...DC Homeland Security officials said Monday they could evacuate the city if disaster struck. They are prepared to deploy more than 130 traffic control officers onto DC streets, and would use more than 10,000 security cameras to control traffic lights and move people out of the District.

They’re worried, though, that many people don’t even know where evacuation routes are in the city. ...

#281022 - 06/08/16 03:32 PM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My evacuation plan for DC is simple; don't live there. I figure California is far enough away, although I must deal with LA.

Out of the frying pan into the fire...

#281024 - 06/08/16 04:19 PM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep. Northern Virginia was close enough for me. Now it's evacuating SoCal, you still need a plan.

#281028 - 06/08/16 08:07 PM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Did they mention how long it would take?

#281045 - 06/11/16 12:12 AM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Russ
I'm surprised Dagny hasn't posted this one already.

I somehow missed this, thanks, Russ.

I do have a plan and that is to shelter-in, at least until the city clears out, and keep my fuel tank topped off. And I'll have a couple bikes (locked) on my bike rack and my dog's bike trailer will be on the roof.

On 9/11, it took a few hours for the streets to be deserted, and that was with no discernible citywide planning. But that was mostly Virginians and Marylanders going to their homes. If DC residents are evacuated that will certainly add some hours to a weekday evac. Of course, the context of the evac will matter -- if radiation were involved, there would be panic, which was mostly absent in DC on 9/11.

Interesting wrinkle: 37% of DC residents don't own a car. That's a higher percentage than New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit in '05.

DC's normal rush-hours are awful. Anyone who thinks this city can be evacuated with any haste is seriously deluded.

#281046 - 06/11/16 02:20 AM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
It's times like this when I wish we had a "Like" button on ETS. I have nothing valuable to add, except to say "Props!" Added to you other comprehensive posts, nice response, Dagny. Very smart plan! (Where to Start? Just search Dagny's posts here, especially in Urban Preparedness and Natural Disasters for some awesome insight!)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#281047 - 06/11/16 05:47 AM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't live in DC, and I'm not a pilot, but I would want to own some sort of aircraft that could take off from my residential street if I lived there. I grew up in Manhattan and feel the same way whenever I visit.

#281048 - 06/11/16 01:12 PM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Something to think about during any major evac ... Elevated freeways are perfect kill zones Elevated freeways, bridges and many other highway system designs are perfect for trapping a target rich environment. LE response will also be delayed by the traffic that backs up outside the trap.

I like Dagny's idea to bug-in and let the heavy traffic clear out. Once you start to move you need to be assured there's a relatively clear shot to your destination.

#281079 - 06/16/16 02:55 AM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
...deploy more than 130 traffic control officers onto DC streets, and would use more than 10,000 security cameras to control traffic lights...

I'm thinking if it was something really bad they were evacuating from (chemical attack, nuclear attack, coordinated terrorists, etc.) then stoplights and traffic control officers would be largely ignored. I, for one, would not be sitting there waiting for my left turn arrow to turn green if there was an attacking mob closing in behind me.

You'd also think that they'd deploy all that camera/traffic light stuff during NORMAL times, to deal with the daily traffic congestion. Why wait for an evacuation if the infrastructure is already in place?

#281121 - 06/16/16 11:26 PM Re: Evacuating DC... You need a plan [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I do not believe that any major city in the USA can be evacuated in a few hours time. The same comment applies to almost all of the major cities around the world. Cities have grown so big, that they are far beyond the capability of their transportation systems. Most large cities are struggling to handle the tide of commuters at rush hour. THAT is their max capacity for moving people. It is literally impossible to evavuate most of the people in a short period of time.

The world has gown to the point where our large cities are "sitting ducks". If any critical emergency happens that threatens the lives of many people, a negative outcome may be unavoidable.

Sad but true.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 375 Guests and 66 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.