The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#267324 - 02/12/14 07:50 PM Flood Preparedness
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Spring is fast approaching and with it the very real danger in my area of flooding, esp flash flooding. DS gets REALLY nervous when it rains, storms, or floods are predicted. I have talked to him about it, realistically. We can't stop the rain, we can't stop the waters from rising, but what we CAN do is be more prepared. I'd like him to help us do just that.

Now, along the lines of being realistic, here's our situation. A small river (by virtue of it's length only, it is only about 20 to 30 feet wide at most) runs directly behind the house, a drainage ditch/stream runs along the length of the property roughly perpendicular to the river. Now, that said, the house sits up high. When we built it, for the purposes of getting cheaper flood insurance, we built so that the crawl space has proper flood vents, and our living space is elevated to be 1 foot above the 100 year Base Flood Elevation. The property has been in DW's family since the 70's, and even in some of the worst floods since then there has never been a significant amount of flooding, just a little water in the crawl space of the old house. The way the newer house is elevated now, water would have to rise enough to completely cover the road before it could even reach our living space. I know it MIGHT be possible, but very improbable given we are in one of the high spots along the flood plain. Long story short, we'll most likely not see water up high enough to get in the house. I also know rising water isn't our only concern, but I'd like to concentrate just on the flooding possibility.

I have of course visited a few websites such as the red cross and the National Flood Insurance Program site. There are plenty of others with plenty of lists.

Now, here's where I need your help and input. Besides the basics that are on these lists, what else can we do to be more prepared for flooding? Short of a truckload of sand and sandbags, I don't want to get too carried away. What supplies should we have on hand? What plans should we have in place? Should we have a bug-out plan in case the unthinkable happens, and the gound/foundation starts to give way and the house becomes unsafe? This is problematic in and of itself, as there is high ground across the road which leads uphill, but this takes us immediately parallel to the small stream/drainage ditch i mentioned. We could go up or down the road but that takes us parallel to the river, as well as the probable event of running into lower spots where we would be unable to pass due to high waters coming over the road. The only reason I would even think about doing this would be to get to a more suitable place to get to higher ground. A bug out plan, in my mind, would be unsafe and an absolute last resort, but I'm wondering if we should still have a plan in place? Any other suggestions or resources? All input is welcomed and appreciated.

#267325 - 02/12/14 08:21 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I guess my first question is an overly simple one: is your concept to stay in the house during the flood, or bug out early and let the house tend to itself during the flood, while you and family are safe and sound somewhere else?

It sort of sounds like you feel reasonably "safe" to stay in the house, at least for a while. But you point out, due to the drainage ditch, it might be bad to try and get out if you wait too long.

I think that you need to set a point, a safe a secure bug out point, by looking at your escape route, that when the water reaches here, we bug out now!

In my thinking, no matter how secure the house is, if the flood is so high that it is unsafe to leave, you stayed too long. Junk floating down on the flood could destroy the foundation of the house even if you are actually above the water itself.

Seems to me the best policy is to get while you can, and hope to come back to an intact house.

#267326 - 02/12/14 09:58 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
One thing to think about in your planning is the immense power of moving water. Even though the water level may not reach above the top of your foundation, if that water is moving at any speed it can easily erode the support out from under your house. Never underestimate the power of moving water! Check out this scary video!

Likewise, you might run into trouble if you try to evacuate after the water is across the road, even if it seems shallow enough to drive through. Lots of people have died trying to drive through moving water that seemed shallow enough to ford.

You might want to do some research into how fast water is moving when your river and ditch are in flood stage. If there are any gauging stations anywhere along the river, find out what the discharge is at flood stage. Also, talk to any old timers around. And look into the history of the area. You want to get an idea of what was the worst flow that has ever occured in the area, even before your familly owned the property. The "hundred year" flood plain is often just an educated guess by hydrologists. Hydrologists do the best they can with the data they have available, but always assume those estimates could be wrong. Allow yourself a margin of error!

#267330 - 02/13/14 12:12 AM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would certainly want to find out more about past floods (historian and archaeologist speaking, so you might expect that). That knowledge will be very useful in developing your plans. But history is not an infallible guide to the future. What is the size and extent of your watershed? What development has occurred within that watershed and how might it affect future flooding? I would certainly agree that " Lots of people have died trying to drive through moving water that seemed shallow enough to ford" - that was a frequent occurrence in SAR operations in Southern Arizona. Typically victims drove around plainly marked barricades. The more I have seen of flooding, the more respect I have.

#267345 - 02/13/14 05:35 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: bws48]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
bws48, yes my general line of thinking is to stay put, even in the worst historical floods any of the old timers in our community here can remember, the water has not been high enough to cause any real danger, even to the old home that was here before, and I do mean old. The front part of the old house that DW grew up in was an old log-cabin made from hand hewn logs and built in approximately the 1800's. When we inherited the property after her father died in 1998, we tried to look into fixing the old place up, but everything was too old and too far gone, even the newer parts of the home that had been added on over the years, a combination of termite and water damage from leaky roof and gutters. We had to tear the old house down so we could rebuild. In the process, we tried to salvage a few odds and ends, in the upstairs part of the old log cabin, we found newspapers on the log walls, under the paneling, that dated back to the 1940's. A lot of history in that home, we saved as much as we could, but most of it was too far gone. Interestingly enough, there was no evidence of any previous flooding events.

Anyway, I digress. Our main flooding problem here is flash flooding. It is not the typical flooding you might think of, with waters rising slowly, giving you time to fill sandbags to protect property or shore up a levy, this is fast, potentially hard hitting flooding, waters can rise and fall in a matter of hours, so many times you really don't have a choice but to stay put. And even if you did have the time to decide "this is the point I should bug out" there is really nowhere to go. Head for town? That takes you right alongside the same river that runs behind the house. If you did make it to town, you run right into an even bigger river that is fed by the one I have mentioned. This bigger river flows alongside the main highway in both directions for at least two hours worth of driving in either direction. One of those directions puts you right at the Ohio River. Given the choices, I think we're staying put.

Many steps have been taken over the years to help eliminate the flooding such as this project to eliminate the almost yearly flooding that would occur in town. Flooding has also been partly eliminated in my area by a smaller cut-through project. It doesn't totally eliminate the issue, but it has reduced it significantly. There are also PLENTY of low lying areas for rising waters to fill first. As far as the drainage ditch/stream goes, it has not risen outside of it's banks except in the back yard, where it merges with the river, and even if it did, the house sits on a further elevated area beyond it. Water has come across the road where it overflowed it's banks on the other side of the road due to debris blocking it's path, but I have only seen that happen once in the last 23 years. Even then it was not a significant amount of water.

Here is a video I found of a really bad flood that occurred here in 2010. This is an atypical flood event, the result of abnormally large amounts of rain falling in just a few hours, and even during this one that occurred within 5 miles or so of our house, the water did not come up to even touch the foundation of our home. I feel reasonably safe bugging in here, but I also realize the importance of having a plan in place to get out of dodge if time permits. I also realize the damage that the floating debris in flood waters can do. I never ever drive across water, esp moving water across a road. I may have come across the wrong way when I mentioned a last resort bug out plan. The plan I am thinking of, is absolutely last resort, if something caused the home to collapse or become unsafe, and we had to get out and seek higher ground or just find shelter on foot. I would not even think about trying to get in the car and cross water that is moving across the road. It might be looked at in hindsight as an epic fail in not getting out of dodge BEFORE things got this bad, but the reality of flash flooding here is, you just never really know.

I know this sounds crazy and counter-intuitive to what everyone is probably thinking, but bugging out at a safe point is just not really a viable option, unless DW and i both quit our jobs and leave town every time any significant rain is predicted. This is not a realistic option for us.

#267346 - 02/13/14 07:52 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Mark, thanks---that clarifies it a lot.

The first thing (perhaps already done-- you seem to have thought this out)would be to be sure all the utilities, power, water supply, sewer/septic systems will be safe to be in the house when they are flooded. Don't want electrical charge in the water. . .

I also assume that you can use a cellphone to reach a nearby tower to call for help (or let everyone know your OK.

Then it just is a waiting game for the water to go back into its banks. Classic "bugging in." Food, medications, potable water, a way to cook, heat and diversions to pass the time. Adjust supplies for the max time you think you will be trapped.

#267347 - 02/13/14 07:55 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Keep an axe in your attic.

#267348 - 02/13/14 08:03 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: bws48]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
sewer backflow preventer

#267349 - 02/13/14 08:23 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Mark_F]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Seems like common sense in the following video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ky0BWm8wY

But many a simple school boy error by folks has led to unfortunate and even deadly results.

#267350 - 02/13/14 09:19 PM Re: Flood Preparedness [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

OK, I give up: why did he make such a big point about wearing the flotation device on his chest, then, when he wades into the water, he has it on his back?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.