The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#264674 - 10/29/13 03:34 PM access water from your water heater
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my water heater sits in the corner, and clothes washer and dryer block direct access to the drain valve... I have a short section of garden hose if I need to tap that source of water, but don't think everyone does... it occurred to me that the supply lines to my washing machine has a 90 degree fitting on one end, and are just about the correct length... seems like a ready made solution

#264675 - 10/29/13 04:43 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
... if the fittings work. I think the hoses might have different ends.

#264676 - 10/29/13 05:08 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I'm not sure I understand your setup, so let me assume it is like mine. At the bottom of the water heater is a drain valve with a hose fitting; you need a silcock wrench to open it, and when you do, water will drain out by gravity, even if the main water supply from the County is turned off.

The hot water supply comes out of the top of the heater to supply the house. Pressure from the incoming cold water propels the hot water around the house and upstairs.

So, if the main water supply to the house is out (County water is off), I can access water from the heater from the drain valve at the bottom because it is gravity fed. But no water is available elsewhere because there is no pressure to propel it out of the top of the heater.

If your setup is like mine, the water from the heater that you want to access at the washing machine may not flow by gravity; the water may need the incoming water pressure to reach the washing machine. As with many such situations, the devil is in the details of the setup.

#264677 - 10/29/13 06:55 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the intent was to use the washing machine supply hose as a ready made short section of hose that already has a standard hose bib thread...my water heater drain is not easily accessed because of its location... remove the supply hose from supply faucet and from the washing machine... attach it to the drain faucet (mine has a hand valve)on the hot water tank... open a water spigot in the house to relieve any vacuum in the hot water tank... this presupposes that you occasionally flush your hot water tank to remove sand that builds up in the bottom

#264679 - 10/29/13 07:05 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Les, even if you don't drain the sand (assuming it's truly sand and not just crud), just let the water sit in a 5-gal bucket for a few hours. Most of the particles should settle, then you can use/filter the remaining water.

#264680 - 10/29/13 07:28 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
the intent was to use the washing machine supply hose as a ready made short section of hose that already has a standard hose bib thread...my water heater drain is not easily accessed because of its location... remove the supply hose from supply faucet and from the washing machine... attach it to the drain faucet (mine has a hand valve)on the hot water tank... open a water spigot in the house to relieve any vacuum in the hot water tank... this presupposes that you occasionally flush your hot water tank to remove sand that builds up in the bottom

Ahh! Now I understand... Our washer is nearly impossible to get to if you want to remove a hose, while the hot water heater is in a nice open space in the basement----just the opposite of your set up it sounds like. On my heater, you can just put a teapot or other small container under the bottom spigot and take what you need...

#264682 - 10/29/13 07:56 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
my water heater sits in the corner, and clothes washer and dryer block direct access to the drain valve... I have a short section of garden hose if I need to tap that source of water, but don't think everyone does... it occurred to me that the supply lines to my washing machine has a 90 degree fitting on one end, and are just about the correct length... seems like a ready made solution

A ready made solution to what problem? What are you trying to accomplish? (I'm missing a few of the pieces to your puzzle even after reading your 2nd response.)

My water heater sits in the basement. House is a tri-level.
If city water pressure goes to zero, the water heater drain is the lowest water access point in the house. I can collect water from all the piping above the heater, both "hot" and "cold" and then the volume from the heater thru the heater drain.

My water heater has a plastic valve with garden hose/ washer hose threaded outlet.
I have an old washing machine hose (you DO change your washing machine supply hoses periodically, don't you?) next to it for periodic draining/flushing of the heater to the basement floor drain 2 feet away.

Once that's empty, then we access the toilet tank water (If they haven't been flushed). And then the water barrel.

(Knowing how the plumbing works is second nature to submariners :-)

Edited by unimogbert (10/29/13 08:00 PM)

#264683 - 10/29/13 08:02 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
May go without saying but this is a valuable skill to try before you actually need to access the water. I drain my water heater once a year at day light's savings for maintenance on the heater. I use the water hose that's connected outside the back door, and drain the heater into the yard.

The gas furnace guys who come in February for annual maintenance on that thing offered to flush my water heater sitting next to it, no charge. I told them I'd done it in November and showed them the mark on the side of the heater. But a nice customer friendly service. Always remember to power down (turn off heater) and stop the incoming flow before draining.

Also FWIW - keep an old supply hose or keep your next supply hose handy in the event the connected supply hose springs a leak. I buy them in advance of what I need (one new pair in stock ready to go), and rotate them out after 5 years. Mark the new pair with the date you want to install them. I've heard that the braided steel type can last much longer but they only come with a 5 year warranty, ymmv. I gave my last pair - which looked terrific - to my Mom+sister to keep as spares.

#264684 - 10/29/13 08:07 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: Lono]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Lono
May go without saying but this is a valuable skill to try before you actually need to access the water. I drain my water heater once a year at day light's savings for maintenance on the heater. I use the water hose that's connected outside the back door, and drain the heater into the yard.

Truly helps to have tried things out to know you really can do them when needed.

But I don't see the need to actually drain (if you mean to empty)the tank.
The drain valve is the low point so running 5 gallons out from the low point should get the sediment out. In the boiler/steam generator world this is known as a "bottom blow" and is a periodic maintenance item for powerplants and ship boilers. (yes, really)

I wouldn't give my old hoses away because some folks would just think of them as 'like-new' and would install them and blame me when the hoses failed later.

#264685 - 10/29/13 09:10 PM Re: access water from your water heater [Re: LesSnyder]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also check that if you don't have any kind of anti drain back valve in the main line. I started hearing this funny noise one evening and turns out it was the suction from the water flowing back from my house into the line to the street because a main had broken somewhere. My water shutoff valve is only a couple feet off the floor so it could have drained the whole water heater. I shut off the valve coming into the house to keep the lines from emptying.
Water heater silcocks come in a 45 degree angle model and with a 90 degree turn valve. While expensive they are handy to buy a couple to screw into aquatainers instead of the plastic valve they come with. You can then attach an old washer hose to your new aquatainer valve and sit it on top of the toilet tank with the hose going into the air vent at the top of the tank so those in the house can just flush and then open the valve to refill the tank for the next person.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 397 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.