Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#261958 - 07/20/13 04:31 PM band -aid solutions for long term problems?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

this thread has me thinking - Biulding a third world first aid kit

With my limited study of community health, I would think that classes on basic hygiene,* mosquito netting and a water filter would have a tremendously greater impact than a First Aid kit (most of Which will be used up in the first month.)

Gear planning is also a study of goals - what do you hope to accomplish?

Teacher

* and basic biology,

#261961 - 07/20/13 04:53 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: TeacherRO]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
That would seem a good start, but I believe J-I was thinking of a kit to preserve the health of the Missionaries more than the indigenous people. Many people living in third world countries either have chronic infections or antibodies which protect against the same diseases. People such as missions teams haven't got those antibodies and may fall really ill while eating and drinking the same water and food as their hosts.

#261964 - 07/20/13 06:12 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: JPickett]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Protecting the care giver is my primary concern; I also design kits for the purpose of them being left at churches and orphanages.

I do inventory by trade but I have a passion for first aid medicine hence why my focus is on first aid kits. An interesting question has been asked: What do I hope to accomplish?

Jeanette Isabelle

#261965 - 07/20/13 06:51 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I am a great believer in education and self-reliance. While some traditional ways and cures are useful, many are not.

It is my understanding the the great strides in western public health were made not from medications, but from sanitation. In the words from an old John Wayne movie "The coffee tastes better if the latrines are downstream."

IMO, looking to the sanitation and prevention of the transmission of diseases is a key service the mission folks can provide. How to do it is fact specific to where they are, so they may need to figure it out when on site.

"An ounce of antiseptic is worth a pound of antibiotic." --- quote from an old Doctor of mine. Prevention is cheaper than a cure.

So, what to accomplish? Education to avoid sickness and injury, and then, when that fails (it always does, at least for some), short term support (e.g. the first aid kits) and (hopefully) some prospect for more comprehensive/long term care. In the end, you are trying to buy time until help arrives. No kit can replace a fully staffed and equipped ER.

Keep up the good work!

#261966 - 07/20/13 06:54 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." I have no idea who said that but, Jeanette, I suspect they were speaking about you and thinking "Wow! She's doing a great thing!"

Some of us have small but important roles to play in the adventures of others but that doesn't mean our role isn't important or that we should assume responsibility for the whole thing. From what I can tell, JI is making an important contribution, as part of a much bigger picture. I don't think it's right to minimize it by asking a question like this. Missionaries should also get their shots, learn about the AO, pack extra underwear...

I don't think you're wrong about the importance of sanitation, etc., but I do think it's beyond the scope of JI's role in the project.

Edited by bacpacjac (07/20/13 07:42 PM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261978 - 07/21/13 12:38 AM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sorry Teacher, I'm overly sensitive today and didn't mean to be defensive. My point was simply that, while it's interesting and informative to look at the bigger picture, it's beyond the scope of Jeanette Isabelle's project.

I do appreciate that (this?) discussion moved to another thread, I just wasn't happy about how that (this?) thread was framed. It seemed to me to be a MUSHY thinking line of thought, which I didn't think was fair. Then you went and explained yourself well and now I feel like an ass. smirk

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#261987 - 07/21/13 02:35 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

With my limited study of community health, I would think that classes on basic hygiene,* mosquito netting and a water filter would have a tremendously greater impact than a First Aid kit (most of Which will be used up in the first month.)

Teacher

* and basic biology,

Cleaning up the world's water supplies would be #1 in my books to do the greatest amount of good for world health. There are so many water bourne pathogens, chemicals and just plain sewer garbage in so many people's water supply that kills and sickens so many people every day.

#261989 - 07/21/13 02:41 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Missionaries should also get their shots, learn about the AO, pack extra underwear...

U.S. State Department for years has been trying to clamp down on missionaries going overseas without proper shots, training and equipment. There's also a number of third world countries asking them to not come if they're not going to have their medical support staff. I believe most countries now require a special Carnet (I'm sure I spelled that wrong. It's a special visa/document for goods/merchandise) to even bring in medical supplies to a country. Gotta apply for them months ahead at embassies. Depending on the country you either pay a steep import tax or get it confiscated.

No, I think you got it spelled right. A carnet (a document that allows for temporarily transporting equipment across the border). I'm not sure about medical equipment but not having one tripped up Les Stroud on his recent trip to Belize with his crew. His camera equipment got held up because he was told he didn't need one (twice!). http://www.travelandescape.ca/2013/06/survivorman-meets-u-s-customs/

#262005 - 07/22/13 01:27 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: TeacherRO]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO

Teacher

* and basic biology,

Good effort, TRO, but you are thinking too small. Infrastructure would in fact save more lives than missions. Hygiene, water systems? Small change, these folks need roads, utilities, school systems and non-exploitative governments! Sadly, it is beyond the ability of the first world to provide these things to the third world: see the effects of 200 years of well-intentioned work in Haiti. More poignantly, see the effects of our missionary work in the middle east, conducted not by Methodists from Ohio but by the powerful intellects and massive resources of the military and intelligence communities.

Missioning is hard, and JI is using exactly the right approach by supporting small, non-governmental efforts to do a little, temporary good by person to person contact, support and love. Missioning is retail work to make things a little better, and to communicate some level of personal concern. Nothing else works as well. Most everything else doesn't work at all.

#262010 - 07/22/13 03:29 PM Re: band -aid solutions for long term problems? [Re: nursemike]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"Nothing else works as well. Most everything else doesn't work at all."
Well Said!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.