Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#254612 - 12/13/12 08:15 PM Big Rocks falling out of the Sky.
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A close call!

Quote:
Discovered by the LaSagra observatory in southern Spain, the small asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass within about 3.5 Earth radii of the Earth's surface on February 15, 2013. Although its size is not well determined, this near-Earth asteroid is thought to be about 45 meters in diameter. Asteroid 2012 DA14 will pass inside the geosynchronous satellite ring, located about 35,800 km above the equator

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news174.html

A 45m rock impact would probably give an air burst equivalent of a 10-15 Megaton Thermonuclear warhead.

There has apparently been quite a few earth impacts from larger Meteorites this year i.e. California and Indonesia.

There have also been some well observed meteor fireballs in the recent couple of days. One over Texas and one over the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20654335 - Texas.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11954932 - UK.

Could this be related to the Jupiter impact about 3 months ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/new...-peterson-hall/

Should I do my Christmas shopping after the 21st.. laugh

#254614 - 12/13/12 08:36 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
perhaps the Mayans didn't compensate for gravity warping space-time...I have a couple of targets in mind for a Tanguska like air burst....

#254616 - 12/13/12 09:42 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Just to be safe, wear a helmet until the 21st. Sleep under your bed just in case. When you must venture outside, zig zag in a random pattern. Do these things, I guarantee you will not be hit by a meteor.

Of course, if I am wrong... at least it will be a quick death.

#254620 - 12/13/12 10:25 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

There has apparently been quite a few earth impacts from larger Meteorites this year i.e. California and Indonesia.

Coincidence. Earth was in a completely different part of the solar system then, not near the orbit of this fireball source.

Quote:

There have also been some well observed meteor fireballs in the recent couple of days. One over Texas and one over the UK

Go outside not near light pollution and see the Geminid meteor showers.

Fireballs are to be expected within a few days of meteor showers (that's what a meteor shower is - little fireballs)

Quote:

Could this be related to the Jupiter impact about 3 months ago.

Extremely unlikely. Anything on an orbital path that takes it near Jupiter very often gets ejected from the solar system or maybe impacts. It won't stick around in the same orbit to give us annual meteor showers on Earth.

#254621 - 12/13/12 10:29 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Hey, you guys should be looking forward to end of the world scenarios since you're so well-prepared for it! smile

Seriously, I always hear about close calls. There seems to be a lot of them. But we probably have a better chance of getting killed in a car accident than by a meteor. So I wouldn't worry about it. At least we'll get a nice show before a meteor hits. So it wouldn't be all bad!

#254624 - 12/13/12 10:58 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: JBMat]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Just to be safe, wear a helmet until the 21st.

Mr and Mrs Thomas Hill, who lived at Keithick lodge just outside Coupar Angus (about 10 miles away) were nearly killed by a meteorite after they heard a frightful crash as the meteorite crashed through their Kitchen Roof. Even then I don't think a helmet would have helped if it had actually hit someone on the head as it weighed over a 2 lbs and was traveling around 150mph There was a bigger one that fell nearby that weighed over 22 lbs.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/He...to-auction.html

I have actually seen this rock that fell out of the sky! eek

It was being sold in an auction last year.

#254625 - 12/13/12 11:06 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: JBMat]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: JBMat
Just to be safe, wear a helmet until the 21st. Sleep under your bed just in case. When you must venture outside, zig zag in a random pattern. Do these things, I guarantee you will not be hit by a meteor.

LOL!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254641 - 12/14/12 10:48 AM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: JBMat]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: JBMat

You forgot your killing weapon of choice for the zombies!

Argh! Amateur....

whistle

#254650 - 12/14/12 03:38 PM Re: Big Rocks falling out of the Sky. [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

A 45m rock impact would probably give an air burst equivalent of a 10-15 Megaton Thermonuclear warhead.

I hate it when that happens!

-john

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.