Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#252757 - 11/03/12 04:42 AM Gas vs. Diesel
LED Offline
Veteran

What say you? Which is the better overall choice when dealing with long term emergencies? The obvious benefits of diesel seem to be ease of storage and better vehicle mileage. The cons are less choice in vehicles/generators, and cold weather issues. Gas is obviously more convenient and available.

What I noticed in all those photos of people standing in line with gas cans was that no one was buying diesel. Could that be a inherent benefit?

These photos got me thinking.
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-11-02...waiting-waiting

#252765 - 11/03/12 11:23 AM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I think for most people the higher initial cost for a diesel generator would be a determining factor (unless you purchase military surplus),though not answering your question...due to the very high compression ratio needed to ignite the diesel, I don't think there is a "pull rope" start available, and would have the added maintenance of an electric start and battery upkeep....

I would hazard a guess, though, that the inverter generators like the Honda eu2000i, not needing to run at a continuous full power will be the choice for the future... and that individuals will limit the cycle run time of their generators to maintain temperature of refrigerators,freezers and charge batteries, as opposed to a continuous run just to keep the lights on

#252766 - 11/03/12 12:03 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
gas..easier to get to and most generators use it.

#252768 - 11/03/12 12:49 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Most of the larger generators I've seen are diesel. Most of the portable ones are gas. Mid-size fixed generators seem to mostly be natural gas, gasoline, or convertible between the two. So, in this case, size is certainly going to matter.

#252806 - 11/03/12 10:44 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Actually since fewer people use diesel its the last to run out,so has my experience been.Though some stations dont carry it at all,know your own situation in that event,we have ONE on mtn with diesel within any reasonable neighborly distance.

OP answered his own questions well IMO.

Comments on 2000I honda spot on,great genny,other name brands with same inverter tech that use fuel related to load,honda can run up to 13 hours on one gallon in economy mode,low output.

Im just a genny guy,think its a thousand or less for a techy model that sips fuel and is quiet,a worthwhile investment IMO.

And yes,unless your appliances heavy load like electric range,or a well pump....you can pretty much keep the home running with one by rotating the items to genny.

#252807 - 11/03/12 10:46 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
LED Offline
Veteran

Yeah, diesels don't seem very cost effective for intermittent personal use. The triple fuel models might be a good choice, especially for a city dweller. More expensive of course.

#252809 - 11/03/12 10:51 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: LED
Yeah, diesels don't seem very cost effective for intermittent personal use. The triple fuel models might be a good choice, especially for a city dweller. More expensive of course.
We were looking at the triple adapters just the other day when I was cleaning carb on Honda (youtubes),advantage...can plump into home NG,or propane tanks or gas.

Propane stores forever.

Adapter kits around 200,but dont quote me on that,info could be outdated.

Edit,there is a place online that does the adaptation when you purchase a new genny from em,ready to go!

#252810 - 11/03/12 10:58 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Les,there are pull start small diesels,they have a compression release valve to start.At least Buds did,ive seen others online,one called a quiet diesel,not sure how it starts.

For homeowner ease,Im with a gasser.....now whole house NG models,beyond my range.

#252813 - 11/03/12 11:32 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: spuds]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Diesel or natural gas is the way to go. Gasoline and propane have been near impossible to get here.

I've got a diesel generator and I've been fine (it's still running right now). I've got plenty of diesel on hand, but if I needed it, there are lots of gas stations out there with signs for "Diesel Only."

With that said, I've already ordered a natural gas stand-by generator and will have it plumbed into my homes natural gas line. That way, even if I'm not home to roll out the generator, fill the tank, connect it, start it, etc it will kick on and my home will be warm and bright.

Otherwise, I've been running around like a nut trying to clean stuff up at home, clean stuff up at work, and keep the generator humming. Not having to worry about refilling the tank would be one thing off my mind.

I've also got a 7kw gas generator, but forget it, it's useless to me if I can't get gas. I loaned it out to a cousin and now I basically told him he could keep it.

#252888 - 11/05/12 04:18 PM Re: Gas vs. Diesel [Re: LED]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
diesel is a LOT safer.

you can store quantities of diesel without adding any risk to your life. you just cannot do that with gasoline.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.