The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248877 - 07/22/12 03:53 PM hard boiled eggs
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
OK... has anyone tried dry vacuum pack sealing hard boiled eggs in glass jars?

we need a food forum...

#248891 - 07/23/12 12:51 AM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Given the serious implications, it's hard to give advice on a forum like this.

I have eaten pickled hard-boiled eggs in a bar and survived.

How were they prepared? The jar had a commercial manufacturer's label on it. Vinegar and salt were involved. That's all I know.

#248893 - 07/23/12 01:38 AM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

not pickled, just hard boiled and vacuum packed in a glass jars with vacuum sealer and jar adapter... looking for a way to store some protein

#248897 - 07/23/12 03:46 AM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Be advised that eggs packed like that won't be shelf stable. They probably would last quite a bit longer in the fridge than a regular boiled egg. To make them shelf stable you'd have to heat them up to pressure canning temp, which would probably result in some really gross eggs!

I do have a commercial grade chamber vacuum sealer. It might be interesting to try it out sometime.

#248911 - 07/23/12 11:23 AM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: LesSnyder
... looking for a way to store some protein

Dried aggs have been a survival/camping staple for a long time, and are available on amazon

each #10 can contains the equivalent of 85 eggs.

Alternatively, a recipe for 1000 year old eggs:
"Thousand Year Old Eggs" are really only about 100 days old.

Duck eggs are used instead of chicken eggs.

The raw eggs are buried in the ground in a mixture of clay, lime, salt, tea and straw. I have seen recipes calling for pine ash instead of clay.

This mixture leaches into the shell and egg, making the interior smooth and creamy—like a ripe avocado in texture.

The yolk turns a vivid green and the white various shades of yellow, blue and green. It has been compared to the colors of a black opal.

To eat them, wash the eggs clean, shell them and slice into quarters. The flavor is rich, pungent and cheese-like.

I have not looked for them specifically but am told that you can buy these eggs in American Chinese markets where they are called Pine Flower Eggs.

Read more: Kate's Global Kitchen: 1000 Year Old Eggs http://www.globalgourmet.com/ggt/ggt0498/ggt040698.html#ixzz21RbbtiK4

Or you could store protein by raising chickens-it's getting trendy.

#248912 - 07/23/12 12:32 PM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

nursemike... does a balut count? had one in the Phillipines after consuming a lot of adult beverages...

I haven't tried out my All American canner yet... wonder what a 1/2 pint of pressure canned scrambled eggs would keep like

#248923 - 07/23/12 03:59 PM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've yet to use any recipes myself, but I've started doing some reading on Chef Glenn's BackpackingChef.com site and he has some really good information on making your own backpacking food, including proteins.

You might be able to get some good idea's from him.

I checked his breakfast recipes page and this was his take on eggs:

I eat eggs almost every day at home, but eggs don’t make my backpacking foods list. Who wants to choke down reconstituted powdered eggs? To replace some of the protein that I normally get from eggs, I work dehydrated ham into my grits and rice recipes or eat ham on the side like crispy bacon.

I can't say I completely disagree, though I haven't tried using powdered eggs, I have eaten a few Mountain House dehydrated egg meals and I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea smile.

#248925 - 07/23/12 04:23 PM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

I was thinking something like an "egg loaf"... solid jar of scrambled eggs, scooped out with an ice cream scoop

#248932 - 07/23/12 09:06 PM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
nursemike... does a balut count? had one in the Phillipines after consuming a lot of adult beverages...

I haven't tried out my All American canner yet... wonder what a 1/2 pint of pressure canned scrambled eggs would keep like

You have got too much time on your hands, my friend. The canned eggs will lack the piquancy of the balut supplied by the tiny, crunchy little beak...

#248935 - 07/23/12 09:33 PM Re: hard boiled eggs [Re: LesSnyder]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

The eggs would probably come out and have the texture and appearance of yellow rubber due to the pressure canning process which is very high temperature along with the cooking times required.

Growing up, my mom and grandmother would at times, can pickled eggs. Today, given the more scientific information and advances in safe canning methods, I would never can any type of eggs. You are much safer health-wise to purchase any type of canned eggs such as pickled from a commercial source.

If you are looking for ways to store protein based foods, there are much better options out there...

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.