The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#226732 - 06/26/11 10:00 PM Helping Mom Prepare
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My 63 year old mom spends her summers in a trailer park in south eastern Ontario. They recently got battered by high winds and rain and lost power for a few days. It's got her thinking about preparedness. Hooray!

She's a nurse so has medical and first aid pretty well covered. She used to be a camper so has lots of basics on-hand already.

She bought a generator during this latest event, and has a propane BBQ. The stove and heater for the trailer run on a large propane tank as well. She also has a firepit (big ol iron rim) with grill. Everything else there is electric.

She only gets spotty cel phone service and has been putting off getting POTS.

Here's the list I made to get her started. I'd love your feedback.

You've got a generator now and that's great! Keep the manual handy, along with extra gas and oil. Be careful and don't overload the circuits though. Read the manual carefully.

Keep your propane tanks full, and maybe get a spare for the BBQ. Keep some firewood and kindling in the shed too, and don't forget to keep a few bbq lighters on-hand.

Get your land-line phone hooked up! You need a way to call for help other than your cel phone. A crank/battery powered weather radio is a good idea too.

Check you first aid kit. Add a pack of maxi pads and some roller gauze and/or tensor bandages in it for bleeds and breaks, and get extra triangular bandages for slings and slints. Tweezers and a manifying glass are good for spnters and bug bites. Get a tube of polysporin too!

Stock-up in extra meds, including tylenol, iboprohan and benedryl. (Asprin too if you can use it.) Get a little cooler and gel packs if any of it needs refrigeration, and make sure the lables are clear on everything.

You need enough bottled water on-hand for a week or two. (2-3 Ls per person per day.) Maybe a couple cases and a couple of those big jugs to start.

You need non-perishable food. Maybe a couple boxes of cereal/power bars, cereal, dried fruits, crackers, vaccuum sealed smoked salmon, canned tuna, canned pasta, canned fruit powdered milk, etc. Don't get stuff that needs water or heating and don't forget a manual can opener.

You need flashlights and extra batteries. Candles are great for outside but don't risk fire or fumed in the trailer. Use LED lights in there. A lantern or two will light the place up. Getting lights that work on all the same batteries saves time rummaging for refills.

Since you're not there in the winter, you don't really need to think much about extra heat and warmth right now, beyond what you'd already have there. Always have extra clothes on-hand. Bring extra blankets, sweaters, etc. as summer turns to fall and the nights get cooler.

Make sure you have rain gear for you and the trailer. Tarps, rope, bungie cords, etc. wiill help you batten-down the hatches if need be. Have a couple of buckets on hand for leaks.

Get a big bucket with a tight fitting lid and stock up on toilet paper and baby wipes. It's nadty, I know but just imagine it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226743 - 06/26/11 11:55 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
You've got a generator now and that's great! Keep the manual handy, along with extra gas and oil. Be careful and don't overload the circuits though. Read the manual carefully.

And run it regularly.

Quote:
You need enough bottled water on-hand for a week or two. (2-3 Ls per person per day.) Maybe a couple cases and a couple of those big jugs to start.

Also, grab a small bag of calcium hypochlorite from the pool supply store. With that and instructions http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/b...isinfect-water/ you can disinfect a lot of water.

Quote:
You need flashlights and extra batteries. Candles are great for outside but don't risk fire or fumed in the trailer. Use LED lights in there. A lantern or two will light the place up. Getting lights that work on all the same batteries saves time rummaging for refills.

My mom doesn't know squat about flashlights. Rather than have her buy a cheap incan and keep only one set of batteries for it, I bought her a good flashlight and a box of lithium batteries.

Quote:
Get a big bucket with a tight fitting lid and stock up on toilet paper and baby wipes. It's nadty, I know but just imagine it.

And plenty of contractor bags.

#226747 - 06/27/11 12:32 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Chaos! It's a big job so I'm trying to get her to take it in little chunks.

I don't think they allow rain barrels where she is but she could get buckets for rainwater that she can disinfect. We'll bring her for stuff for disinfecting when we go next weekend and show her how to do it.

When she bought the generator, she stocked up on peanut butter and honey but I think she was counting on one of the guys around the campground that usually check in on her to help her with the generator. We'll have to work on that!

Simple is definitely better! I like your idea of a good flashlight and batteries, rather than cheapies. Her birthday is coming up. Guess what she's getting? wink

#226749 - 06/27/11 12:39 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
have her use fuel stabilizer if the generator is left topped off, shut off fuel line and drain the fuel bowl (most have a bowl drain)...is the generator electric start? if so a battery tender might be a good idea to keep it charged... as commented, run it periodically...in additiona to the recommended pool calcium hypochlorite, a 5gal Sawyer .1 micron filter is relatively inexpensive...

#226770 - 06/27/11 11:23 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
+1 on the various generator comments. This is probably the weak point -- the most things can go wrong.

Some of my experiences/observations:

Generally, storing it fueled without a weekly run of 10 minutes or so is a good way for it not to work when needed. It will not start.

Better to store it dry (no fuel). Let it run out of gas--don't fool trying to drain it. You end up causing a leak in the fuel system and may leave fuel in the carburetor, causing it not to start.

If stored for months at a time, store dry, pull the spark plug, put a few drops of motor oil in the cylinder, turn it over a couple of time to coat the inside, then replace the spark plug.

Store gasoline with a stabilizer, but use twice the maker's standard mixture recommendation--the fuel will last longer and start easier.

Many generators have a low oil cut off -- generator will not start or run if it thinks the oil is low, even if to your eye it looks ok. Keep oil on hand and keep it filled.

Change the oil at least annually.

As a last resort, when in trouble, doubt and frustration, read the instructions. grin

#226783 - 06/27/11 05:07 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Two or three Ls of water/day isn't enough. It's too cheap and too multi-purpose to skimp there. If she cuts her hand, she could use at least half that just cleaning the wound. And you know she isn't going to want to go two weeks w/o washing a dish or taking a bird-bath.

A rain collection barrel is a good idea. If the need arises, the park will likely lift the ban temporarily. They don't have to be large barrels -- two smaller containers (like 20-gal/75 L) tubs or totes, nested and filled with supplies would be less bulky. Provide the screening/netting/cover.

Food - if she's got water and cooking ability, add some quick-cook foods. The type of scenario you're anticipating is likely to be a PITA, she needs some sense of normalcy and something to focus on.

Gift her with one of those clip-on toilet seat/lids from a sporting goods store and a matching large plastic bucket. They're cheap for the value involved when the need arises. Make sure she understands the need to keep the NEW plastic bucket out of the sun. Maybe pack it with supplies so she doesn't use it outdoors.

Chaos is right on target with his advice about flashlights.

Sue

#226785 - 06/27/11 05:20 PM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I think at least one LED headlamp would be a very beneficial addition. Being able to go hands-free is so useful when you have things to do in the dark.

Actually, you might want to ask her to check out any LED lights before she needs them. I know that some older folks have a hard time seeing with the bluish light from LED flashlights compared to the old incandescent flashlights, even if that light is dimmer and orange. Even in younger eyes, blue wavelengths are not focused well by the eye, and that gets worse with age. Maybe that's fine to put up with in an emergency, but it annoys the heck out of some people.

Good luck getting your mom prepared.

#226801 - 06/28/11 12:07 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks gang!

I'm not at all familiar with generators and worry that she's relying on someone else to know and do it for her.

I've already started gathering gear and supplies for her, incorporating all your suggestions. (She's got a GHB in the car, and Bug-In and Bug-out prepped at home.) I don't want her to get overwhelmed and throw her hands up. Don't want her to think a little is a lot either.

Picked her up a copy of "When All Breaks Loose" today. It's an easy read and covers all the basics.

#226802 - 06/28/11 12:08 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: Susan]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Two or three Ls of water/day isn't enough. It's too cheap and too multi-purpose to skimp there. If she cuts her hand, she could use at least half that just cleaning the wound. And you know she isn't going to want to go two weeks w/o washing a dish or taking a bird-bath.

A rain collection barrel is a good idea. If the need arises, the park will likely lift the ban temporarily. They don't have to be large barrels -- two smaller containers (like 20-gal/75 L) tubs or totes, nested and filled with supplies would be less bulky. Provide the screening/netting/cover.

Food - if she's got water and cooking ability, add some quick-cook foods. The type of scenario you're anticipating is likely to be a PITA, she needs some sense of normalcy and something to focus on.

Gift her with one of those clip-on toilet seat/lids from a sporting goods store and a matching large plastic bucket. They're cheap for the value involved when the need arises. Make sure she understands the need to keep the NEW plastic bucket out of the sun. Maybe pack it with supplies so she doesn't use it outdoors.

Chaos is right on target with his advice about flashlights.

Sue

Great suggestions Sue. Thanks!

#226803 - 06/28/11 12:09 AM Re: Helping Mom Prepare [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks gang!

I'm not at all familiar with generators and worry that she's relying on someone else to know and do it for her.

I've already started gathering gear and supplies for her, incorporating all your suggestions. (She's got a GHB in the car, and Bug-In and Bug-out prepped at home.) I don't want her to get overwhelmed and throw her hands up. Don't want her to think a little is a lot either.

Picked her up a copy of "When All Breaks Loose" today. It's an easy read and covers all the basics.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.