The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#227244 - 07/05/11 01:45 AM STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

A good read.

http://www.npr.org/2011/07/04/137526401/the-key-to-disaster-survival-friends-and-neighbors

The Key To Disaster Survival? Friends And Neighbors

by SHANKAR VEDANTAM

... ambulances and firetrucks and government aid are not the principal ways most people survive during — and recover after — a disaster.

...Rather, it is the personal ties among members of a community that determine survival during a disaster, and recovery in its aftermath.

...It's this passion for a local community and granular knowledge about who needs what that makes large-scale government interventions ineffective by comparison. It's even true when it comes to long-term recovery.

... The problem isn't that experts are dumb. It's that communities are not the sum of their roads, schools and malls. They are the sum of their relationships.

The Japanese government seems to get this. The government there actually funds block parties to bring communities together.

#227256 - 07/05/11 03:53 AM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Dagny]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

The key passage for us preppers:
Quote:

"Get more involved in neighborhood events," Aldrich said. "If there is a planning club, a homeowners association — if there are sports clubs nearby, PTAs — those groups have us in contact with people we wouldn't normally meet and help us build up these stocks of trust and reciprocity."

"Really, at the end of the day, the people who will save you, and the people who will help you," he added, "they're usually neighbors."

I thought about piping up in an earlier thread about this issue of working together. It seems that so many people are willing to jump straight to the Mad Max scenario and "rely on their 9 mm" to survive the disaster. We have a lot of lone cowboys here, but my guess is that collaboration will get us all farther. The Japanese orderliness in their recent massive disaster should be a lesson to us all.

The article notes that it's not really in our culture to be so group-oriented. Be that as it may, how can we build some sort of local community for emergencies? I recall that Blast talked about creating some sort of network with his left over Mac. Other ideas?

Da Bing

#227267 - 07/05/11 12:04 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Dagny]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This is exactly what my presentation was about at the Popular Mechanics Home Safety and Preparedness show. By unifying my neighborhood well in advance of any issues we came through the destruction of hurricane Ike with ease and actually had a good time.

Poker nights, welcome wagons, holiday parties, block barbecues, pool parties, movie parties, or just nightly walks around the neighborhood to ask people if you can eat their weeds...these all helps build ties that will get you through tough times. Our parents and grandparents knew this, but nowdays it's become the habit of cocooning ourselves in the techno-silks of computers, tv, video games, etc...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227273 - 07/05/11 12:46 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Blast for President!

#227294 - 07/05/11 05:20 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Bingley]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Actually, I doubt that the lone cowboy would survive a Mad Max scenario. You can't plant, hunt, scavenge and protect yourself 24/7. Movies aren't life, something that some people haven't figured out yet.

Groups of people working together has always been the way of survival, from back in the Neanderthal days and before. Even many animals work together. It's a matter of collaborate or die.

Everyone has something to offer. If they don't know how to build a slow sand water filter, they can look for firewood. If they can't hunt, they can collect eggs and watch over the free-ranging chickens. If they can't build a decent shelter, they can watch over the young children.

There is safety in numbers, there always has been. If you've got a neighborhood group obviously working together, and a lone cowboy living up on the hill, and a group of troublemakers comes through, which one will they go after?

Sue

#227295 - 07/05/11 05:22 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
p.s. That brings up the thought of Homeowners Associations... *gag*... How long do you think it would take for the control-freak HOA leaders to break down and allow people to turn their manicured lawns into vegetable gardens?

Sue

#227297 - 07/05/11 06:18 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Susan]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: Susan
p.s. That brings up the thought of Homeowners Associations... *gag*... How long do you think it would take for the control-freak HOA leaders to break down and allow people to turn their manicured lawns into vegetable gardens?
Sue

You just need to be sneaky, like me. cool
Sidenote: At least here in Houston, the fanciest suburban neighborhood just changed their HOA deed restrictions to allow rainwater harvesting equipment and tanks in the front yards! There may be hope.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#227299 - 07/05/11 06:39 PM Re: STUDY: Neighbors Key To Surviving Disasters [Re: Dagny]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
A HOA is what you make of it. At one point we had a group move into roles on our board and their opinions obviously did not line up with the majority of the homeowners. They tried to rig the following election but homeowners got organized without the board and EVERY SEAT in the following election was won by a write in candidate.

So one year out of ten was a bit bizarre. Since then we have been good and our board has tried to do their best to compromise between the priorities of neighbors with different opinions.

I have had property in a HOA and property that was not governed by a HOA. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Dagny,
Thanks for posting the link.

There just aren't enough professional emergency responders to go around in a major event. Even if there are enough to go around they can't always get to the scene in time to be most effective.

Joplin is a good example; a huge number of emergency responders were there within hours of the event. Many of those who needed immediate assistance (think minutes instead of hours) were largely helped by friends and neighbors.

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.