The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#219193 - 03/15/11 04:17 AM Bug out through a devastated city
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So you have decided you must bug out through a devastated city. Let's assume you and those who are to go with you have well-thought-out bug-out-bags full of gear and supplies, and you have a well-thought-out foot / bicycle / motorcycle route with alternates to move through the city. You know you will probably have to spend at least one overnight in the city. Now it is time to move.

1. Other than for legal authorities, who do you stop for?

2. What is your response to those who want what you have?

3. What protocol do you follow with those who want to join you?

4. Where do you draw the line between looting and foraging for a resource you decide you need?

Edited by dweste (03/15/11 04:18 AM)

#219200 - 03/15/11 05:04 AM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
1.Stop for No one 2.They'll have to Earn it!(see rule #1)3.Newbies take Point,otherwise see Rule #1! 4.My BOB is so thought out,that descision Never comes to bear!

#219207 - 03/15/11 06:52 AM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: dweste]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey

Nobody. In some circumstances, I might avoid legal authorities as well. Legal authorities will funnel people towards mass evacuation routes or shelters, both of which will be quickly overrun and useless. For at least the initial 72 hours, I would prefer to be self-sufficient and avoid the hysteria, pandemonium and potential dangers of being a "have" in a sea of "have nots."

Your choice: 9mm or 12-gauge.

All others are considered a liability until proven otherwise. If you appear rational and non-threatening, and can convince me you are sufficiently self-reliant, (both in terms of physical capabilities and supplies), there are benefits to larger groups (within reason) and you are welcome to join. But there will still be one member of my "tribe" on watch at all times to avoid problems.

4. Where do you draw the line between looting and foraging for a resource you decide you need?

For the most part, foraging is gathering consumables while looting is taking property. Food, beverages, clothing, fuel, medicine and other supplies would fall under foraging. Cash, coins, jewelry, electronics, etc fall under looting. Things that blur the line are transportation and tools.

#219212 - 03/15/11 08:52 AM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: dweste]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
No one, I would likely divert around others.

That will have to do with the range to contact. Starting with 7.62 NATO, moving thru 12GA, and on to .45ACP. In the end through, it will likely be an end. I will not be in the mood to share.

Everyone needs a trail canary....

If I need it to survive, and someone else isn't using it, I will make use of it. If I can later replace the value to the owner, I will.

RIP OBG

#219222 - 03/15/11 12:26 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: dweste]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
1. Unless they are better armed than me, I stop for no one. I will make diversions to avoid confrontations.

2. You want what I have, cool. Have some bullets first. I subscribe to the shoot the biggest mofo/obvious leader first, the others will quickly lose interest.

3. You can follow me, but I don't share stuff. I will tell you what to pick up as we pass, but I am not stopping unless I need some too. Keep up or get left behind.

4. Looting is TVs, foraging is food. Doubt I will be taking many TVs along with me. Take nothing from anyone else who is using it or may use it - but if the property is not being used and appears abandoned, and I can use it, fair game.

#219233 - 03/15/11 01:41 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: dweste]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I posted about 11 replies to various posts in this thread, all of which would have forced me into the untenable situation of having to ban myself for profanity, vulgarity, bad manners and excessive bile.

Now that I've cooled off a bit, I'll summarize in more neutral tones some of my perspective on the comments that this thread has generated:

1. If you don't stop for legal authorities in a life-threatening emergency, you are an idiot.

2. If you live in a fantasy "mad max" world and you see everything as a threat, you're not going to be very useful to anyone in a real emergency.

3. The correct protocol to follow for those who want to join you as you escape was developed by one Deamont Love during hurricane Katrina. See also some guy named Luke who has some perspective on the matter.

If you come expecting a battle, you'll get one. There's no looting in Japan. There's no riots. Even in Haiti, there was some unrest, but cooler heads prevailed.

#219234 - 03/15/11 01:48 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Given I am trying to get home, I expect to stop for no one, including legal authorities. But admit with my head on a swivel, it will be hard to not provide simple assistance to a child alone and crying. I would attempt to make safe/warm as best I could, as fast as I can, including backtracking them to another group I've past, but ultimately I am moving fast and loose towards my destination.

The likelihood of not having a personal weapon on me is good (Murphys Law), thus I would be looking for a weapon on the move to protect myself. Knowing that I have most likely seen more of the area than those asking (assuming they are stationary) I will provided information on where to find what they want from what I have seen but mine is mine. In the first hours while there could be looting and mayhem, the fear of interaction with a large gang is low, therefore it is simply keeping the head down and moving through/around mob areas.

Staying solo and mobile is my first priority. However, it would be foolish to not see the benefit of a mutually beneficial pairing. If someone has something that would benefit me getting where I want to go and after going through the same event seems as mental/physically stable as me, then we talk about it.

I have a strong moral compass but you cannot survive without making critical decisions that you would not consider in a normal day. If after a disaster I come upon a street of cars, I won't take someones car keys if they can drive themselves, but if you're dead and your car is not, I'm gonna see if it turns over. Same with your food, your weapons and your gear. As has been mentioned foraging and looting are separate moral issues (though maybe not criminally). If I need gauze or water or food from an abandoned store and no one gets hurt, great, if I live, I'll make right later. This is a harsh response to a harsh reality, but your goal is to get home as fast as you can, without harming others or yourself.

#219235 - 03/15/11 01:54 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: JBMat]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

For those who answered 9mm or 12ga to Question 2, what would you do when you are outnumbered and outgunned in a coordinated attack? I suppose in your answers you conceive of the enemy as the average citizen who turns predatory in times of crisis because he is a jerk. But what if your enemy is today's criminal youth, who often operates in groups, with tactics and firearms?

For example, you are walking along in a packed crowd, shoulder to shoulder, and suddenly you feel one or two guns pressed up against you. That's when they issue the request for money. Alternatively, you are sitting down, resting. Three seemingly friendly looking people join you, and that's when they flash their weapons. They politely explain that they have been following you for a while, and they know what you have, even down to a pretty good estimate of the amount of cash in your wallet. Hand it over, please. I have seen this sort of stuff happen in real life, or I know people whom it happened to.

To me, the best weapon is situational awareness and hiding your stuff -- that includes firearms. If you are going to carry a long gun, be ready for the possibility that someone would shoot you first from a hiding spot just to get your gun. That happens in peace time, so why not in times of catastrophe?

Da Bing

Edited by Bingley (03/15/11 01:55 PM)

#219236 - 03/15/11 01:54 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: MartinFocazio]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This thread was obviously proposed to allow us all to vent our hypermacho mall ninja, Mad Max bullet spewing, inner Walter Mitty personae.

This is great stuff for an off day on the internet, but as MF points out, it doesn't seem to happen in real life disasters. Could it be that people band together, cooperate, and assist one another?

#219238 - 03/15/11 02:07 PM Re: Bug out through a devastated city [Re: hikermor]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This thread was obviously proposed to allow us all to vent our hypermacho mall ninja, Mad Max bullet spewing, inner Walter Mitty personae.

And then to get real, share wisdom, and help each other think it through.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.